This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Technical Question. Oil Rings

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Technical Question. Oil Rings

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Have a Clinton engine, model 1162C2B. 2 3/8" bore. 1 7/8" stroke. I purchased a ring set that was supposed to fit the engine. Compression rings fit. Oil ring does not.

Oil ring groove is 1/8" wide. Have not been able to find an oil ring. I have found a part number for a 1/16" wide oil ring.

Question. Can I put two 1/16" wide oil rings in the 1/4" groove. The two rings will fit in the groove - will they work and last?

Opinions.

Edit: Correction. Can I put two 1/16" wide oil rings in the 1/8" groove?
See Bill's post below.
Last edited by Eugene on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Technical Question. Oil Rings

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Eugene wrote:Have a Clinton engine, model 1162C2B. 2 3/8" bore. 1 7/8" stroke. I purchased a ring set that was supposed to fit the engine. Compression rings fit. Oil ring does not.

Oil ring groove is 1/8" wide. Have not been able to find an oil ring. I have found a part number for a 1/16" wide oil ring.

Question. Can I put two 1/16" wide oil rings in the 1/4" groove. The two rings will fit in the groove - will they work and last?

Opinions.

Eugene,

Are you sure you don't mean 1/8" groove? 1/4" or 1/8", I'm not the person to answer your question. I will be interested in the answer.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Eugene wrote:Question. Can I put two 1/16" wide oil rings in the 1/4" groove. The two rings will fit in the groove - will they work and last?

Bill: It read right when I wrote it. Thanks.

Correction. Can I put two 1/16" wide oil rings in the 1/8" groove?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 am

If the oil rings are one piece then you can stack them. Not sure about 3 piece rings.

I have several old tank generators including a rare 2 cycle one. Needed one ring and this place had the ring:

http://www.pistonrings.net.

I would just stack the rings if I had some otherwise I would try the above folks.

I bought an old 1950s generator several years ago and the man threw in a reo engine and an old clinton. I got the clinton running and then tossed it into the corner where it has been ever since. Looked like a good well made engine.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 pm

http://www.pistonrings.net. This is the company I e-mailed on Sunday and promptly received a response. I ordered the piston ring from the company this morning (Monday). Should receive the ring near the end of the week.

I posted a topic on lack of service by other companies selling piston rings - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64083.

I plan on commenting on this company after I receive the ring and see if it fits. Right now I'm pretty sure it will.

OH! By the way. The company is in Maryland and Dave, the guy I spoke with, speaks excellent English.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”