This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

14 hp Lister diesel generator

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:11 pm

I have heard that Lister engines among the most efficient for turning BTU's into motion and work. Slow rpm and long stroke. I have also heard that they are very easy to repair and rebuild. Some need rebuilding right way. Basic engine well built but some of the components not done well. Replacing fuel lines and fuel filters. Sand left in from casting. For someone who works on cubs they should be a no problem to repair engine. There is a guy in Auburn WA (I Think) who sells pulleys that fit on the generator shaff that allow the generator to turn a the correct RPM (listers are a very slow engine) and use a stardard serpentine belt.

Richard
Last edited by Little Indy on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:14 pm

For all of you who did not make it to DeGraff Cubfest......

Billy did indeed bring along his lister genset. Although we didn't apply a load to it, Billy had it running several times.

Once started and adjusted, it runs smoother and quieter than any gasoline single (or twin) cylinder engine you've even seen.

Billy has it fine tuned right on the money, and it's a beauty to behold.

It should make a fine power and heat source for his house when its all done, and it's not much louder or annoying than a big pot of water boiling full blast!!!

Anyone who has never seen one of these, let me tell ya, it makes you want to make a tractor out of one real bad!!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Re: Lister engine generator getting closer

Postby cowboy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 am

Just a quick update on the lister. I had a bad storm and lost power for 18 hrs. So I finally got it hooked up. Had to put new fuel lines on since this new diesel fuel ate the lines. It had no problem running everything in the house. I was without power for 12 hrs before I got it running. So the fridge was running flat out had no problem starting my window airconditioner, microwave computer, And I even fired up my big aircompresser to see if it would slow it down and it started it without even a change of pitch in the engine. There is so much energy stored up in the flywheels that when you through a high load at it it just uses that energy instead of having to rely on the hp of the engine.

The 14 hp lister only burns 1/4 pint of fuel per 1000 watts of power per hour. Lets see a new gas powered generator do that :D

Here's a quick video of it running click on the arrow on the bottom right to start it.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1735817490209

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: 14 hp Lister diesel generator

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 am

glad to see it does the job you wanted, but every time someone mentions Lister diesel I still have pictures in my mind of you chasing it around the shop when you started it without the base attached.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks John

You sure aren't going to let me live it down are you :!: But it sure is funny now wish I had a video of me chasing it flipping the fuel rack on and off trying to get the crazy thing to stop :lol:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:59 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:every time someone mentions Lister diesel I still have pictures in my mind of you chasing it around the shop when you started it without the base attached.

I remember that :!: That would have been some funny to see... :D

Sorry Billy but that is simply too cool to let go away... :roll: :wink: :lol:

So is that the unit that will go to the UP or are you getting another one :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:29 am

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Re: Lister engine generator getting closer

Postby Landreo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 am

cowboy wrote:The 14 hp lister only burns 1/4 pint of fuel per 1000 watts of power per hour. Lets see a new gas powered generator do that :D

Billy

Is this a real Lister or one of the India built "listierod" clones?

Where did you get the fuel consumption number?

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 am

Rudi wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:every time someone mentions Lister diesel I still have pictures in my mind of you chasing it around the shop when you started it without the base attached.

I remember that :!: That would have been some funny to see... :D

Sorry Billy but that is simply too cool to let go away... :roll: :wink: :lol:

So is that the unit that will go to the UP or are you getting another one :?:

No doubt about it Rudi. I still laugh when I think about dancing with the lister. Yep its the one I am taking to the farm.

Howdy Landro

Its a listeroid clone. The real listers are hard to come by. Although I have a friend in Colorado that said I can have two that are on his property if I ever get out there and can get them out. I don't remember where I got the fuel consumption numbers but I was doing a lot of research on them when I got it in 2006.

Billy

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks, I have looked on and off over the years at the listeroid engines. I am not sure they are really all that efficient but would make a good toy. I looked a few days ago and it seem a 6.5 Hp engine with shipping may be close to 2K dollars. Ouch!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”