This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Massey Harris Pony?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Massey Harris Pony?

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:52 pm

How does the MH Pony compare to a Farmall Cub?

I found a really nice looking one yesterday and made an offer. It's smaller that what I'll eventually need but it could do the lighter chores until I can get another tractor.

I've read that the PTO turns the opposite direction of the standard PTO but it turns at around 540 rpm. It has a 1 1/8" splined shaft instead of a 1 3/8" shaft.

I'd like a pull behind mower instead of a belly mower. How hard would that be to find? Would I have to buy one made specifically for a Pony?

It looks like the drawbar would pull a wagon so that's not a problem.

Also, I was wondering about sickle bar mowers. Would that have to be made specifically for the Pony?

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:30 pm

Ponies are good rigs, with a little more power than a cub. They weren't near as many made, so they usually sell higher, and parts/iplements are harder to find.
Regarding the pull behind mower, you can get one of the trail mowers with it's own engine form TSc, Northern Tool, etc. That will work great behind about any tractor and pto won't matter. Speaking of pto, I don't know if they turn reverse or not, but a cub does turn reberse. I really though pony tunred the same as other tractors.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:47 pm

Excellent John!!!

That was my main concern about buying a Pony. Mowing paths around the property will be one of the primary chores of the tractor.

If the PTO does turn the standard way then that gives me another option.

Thanks John!

Dan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:03 pm

Dan:

Availability is a regional thing. Cubs are not as common in my area as the Massey-Harris Pony is. However, John is correct. though, not as many Pony's were built in comparison to the Cub. They are more common here because most of them were built in Canada.

I only know of say 6 Cubs within 20 kms of my house, and I have seen at one time or another at least twice maybe 3 times that many Pony's. Parts are readily available for them as well, although, it will probably be 180 degrees from what I am used to.

I have to get a lot of my Cub parts stateside. Pony parts are pretty common here and David over at Chown Tractor Parts can usually get hold of a couple of Pony's every year and does have Pony parts in stock most of the time.

Implements are not all that difficult to find. I have a couple sitting in my back yard for my buddy Roger that has a Pony. Sickle mowers, roll-over plows, spring and disc harrows are usually available. I even have a Marvel Schleiber carb for a Pony currently on Granny, which will be replaced shortly I hope.

I even have 2 Massey-Harris potato diggers (chain and sprocket ground driven type) that were pulled by Pony's on a regular basis here. Ellie pulls it quite nicely and it works very well. Lots of Pony stuff on the Island too!

Still, I prefer my Cubs over the Pony. Mostly a personal thing - I like the look, sound and the feel of the Cub better than the Pony. However, both Cubs and Pony's have had a historical place in my wife's family, both were the most common next to the Ford N series tractors.

There are lots of pull behind mowers that will work with the Pony, self powered and ground driven will both work.

There is also a pretty good forum for Pony's over at Massey-Harris Forum and YT Mag's M-H Forum, although I have not had great responses from the members on questions I had posed on those boards. I am used to much better.

Hope this helps...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Massey Harris Pony?

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:40 pm

pgmrdan wrote:How does the MH Pony compare to a Farmall Cub?

We tried to answer that question at last year's CubFest. The results weren't conclusive.

I'm not real sure, but I *THINK* the rotation and RPM is standard but the diameter is, like many of it's contemporaries a little smaller. Adapters are readily available.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:52 pm

Can you get an overrunning clutch that will also adapt a 1 1/8" PTO to a 1 3/8" PTO?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

MH Pony

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:46 pm

The adapter for the PTO is a sleeve. You should be able to get one at the local farm supply store. This is for the over running clutch.

If you are going to purchase a mower consider a belly mounted rotary mower. Reason. You can use the mower for most mowing jobs. Not good for making hay. When you sell the tractor, a lot of people want a small tractor with mower.

Where in heck did you find a Massey Harris, and a Pony at that, in central Iowa?

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:50 pm

pgmrdan wrote:Can you get an overrunning clutch that will also adapt a 1 1/8" PTO to a 1 3/8" PTO?

I have one on one of my 9Ns. It came from a Farm and Fleet store, but their replacement, TSC, should have one available as well.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:57 am

Eugene,

The haymaking will be on hold for a while. I'm going to let a couple of guys keep coming in to take hay off the place until I get my house built. I'm going to have to get another tractor for the bigger work. This one is for mowing the lawn, landscaping chores, and general maintenance.

Where did I get it? It was sitting on a guy's front yard about 2 miles south of Indianola with a FOR SALE sign on it. He was letting the owner park it there. (The owner lives down a dead end lane. Not much traffic.) The owner said he has 2 more but they're not up for sale. He lets his grand kids drive them.

The tractor seems in really good shape. The sheet metal is straight and has good older paint. The engine looks well maintained. It started right up. No smoke. Drives really well. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it up close.

George,

I found one of the overrun clutches in the Valu-Bilt catalog that goes on a 1 1/8" PTO shaft and has a 1 3/8" shaft on the other end. That should do it.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:17 am

Lots of luck with your pony. Price, availability and quality are 2 necessary along with location. I don't understand whether it is close to you or not. How will you move it?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:55 am

Dan:

Congratulations on your find and purchase.

Indianola, Iowa has grown since I lived there in the 60's. I lived on a small 40 acre farm 2 miles west of the city limits. I dated a girl who lived on a small farm east of the city limits. Both farms are now housing developments and inside the city limits.

Moving the tractor shouldn't be a problem. All Dan needs is an SMV sign on the back of the tractor and he can drive the tractor to his acerage if it's not that far, 10 - 15 miles or so.

Again, great find.

Eugene

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 am

Thanks guys!

Fortunately, the seller is going to deliver it. We're going to meet tomorrow night to wrap things up.

It's not a Farmall Cub but at least it has a lot of red paint on it! :D

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:43 pm

That pic with George pulling against the Pony is swell. Isn't that practice dangerous. I wouldn't be too afraid of the Cub with its limited power but larger tractors can come up rather easily.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:47 pm

WK. so will a cub, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. I use my rear mount disk plow to occasioanlly clan out the road ditches. I was running up hill at about 1/3 throttle in low gear (with snow cahins still on) when the plow caught on something, which is very unusual with a disk plow. when working like that I always ride with my foot just over the clutch pedal. right front wheel was about 6 inches off the ground before I got the clutch down, but it sure got my attention.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 pm

John, The reason I posted the way I did was because I've never been able to get the Cub to get enough traction to lift but on several ocassions I've had the H in the air, one time it would lift at will with the clutch. I could hold it in any position I wanted.

Scared me afterwards when I thought about what would have happened had I slipped off the clutch. :shock:

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”