Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954
Moderator: Team Cub
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Last week I actually added some of the fluids to my '48 Super A, which included the steering reservoir. Alas, the next day there was a puddle under the front axle. I removed the front axle to get access to the housing, to determine why it was leaking. I had replaced the Steering Worm Wheel Shaft Oil Seal (#24, http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Super%20A%20-%20Super%20AV/TC-39B%20Parts%20Catalog/Page%20178.jpg). Upon closer examination, it appears that the seal is actually leaking around the OUTSIDE of the seal, rather than the rubber part of the seal through which the shaft protrudes.
Has anyone ever experienced or know of this? I can't see why it would be leaking there...as far as I know, I cleaned the seat, and saw no scoring marks, cracks or anything else that would keep it from sealing. I generally make sure surfaces like the seat would be shiny metal before it is inserted, and I am sure the seal didn't just drop in, it was a press fit.
Since I would prefer NOT to have to split the housing to remove the shaft, which would allow me to easily remove the seal, do you think I can (carefully) drill and insert two screws into the metal ring of the seal and with them, pull it out from around the shaft? I have a new seal.
If anyone can come up with another solution to this, I would appreciate the input.
Well, since nobody said I shouldn't drill and pull, that's exactly what I did today!! Two tiny holes, 2 screws, 2 pairs of vice grips, a couple of large screwdrivers, and success!! I managed to get the seal off past the steering gear shaft. When I examined it, it was quite obvious why it leaked. It may be difficult to see, but at the edge of the recess for the seal, there were a few damaged edges.
This caused the outside edge of the seal to be dented as it was pressed past these spots. Once the seal was seated, these dented spots allowed oil to leak past.
To repair it, I ground off the small protrusions, then sanded it with my home made "hone".
When it looked and felt smooth enough, I carefully seated a new seal, and filled the housing with fresh gear oil.
I guess tomorrow will show me if it worked...there will either be a puddle beneath it, or I can move on to getting the final "re-panned"!!
And then I have THREE cubs to get going. Cubitis sure keeps you busy!!
Great fix! A little Indian Head varnish around the outside of the seal before installation would give you a bit of added insurance.
[ Post made via iPod ]
FCub - LoBoy - Numbered Series Databases
I guess I have heard of that, but will check it out...lots of other work to still do, so it could come in handy. Thanks, Raymond
Yes, that is a terrific fix for the seal to make a snug fit! Great job BD Finch! Pabst
So far no leaks there or the final that I just replaced 3 seals in...this time I paid particular attention the the lips of the housings, too!!
Good job!! A little ingenuity goes a long ways when working on these old tractors because, due to wear and tear and botched repairs done by previous owners, quite a few repairs can no longer be done "by the book".
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bill E Bob and 2 guests