This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 stinks

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

154 stinks

Postby Garland Terry » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Hello all. It disturbs me to ask a dumb question like this but my 154 is running so rich that I can't stand to drive it. open the screw or close it down? It has a big NOS zenith on it. I have it open about 1.5 turns. It starts and runs good and seems to have plenty of power but it burns my eyes and stinks my clothes up real bad. Maybe the carb is too much. The timing and ignition system is not that old. :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: 154 stinks

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Could you be burning oil and or antifreeze? People cleaning main jets with torch cleaning tools ream them out bigger on IH carbs, I am not familiar with Zenith but imagine the same can happen.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:21 pm

The Zenith runs rich if it is the one with 5 screws holding the 2 halfs together
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Packrat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61604
Tractors Owned: Cub Cadet 100, 147, 149, 1250(2), Allis Chalmers Model "B", Bolens 900, Kubota B7100, Cub Low Boy 154 with deck and blade and accessories, David Bradley Walking Tractor and attachments, Misc. Tractor Implements...

Postby Packrat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:58 am

If it is running that rich, it will cause other problems beside stink. Might have to jet it down a couple of sizes to work with your engine. Are you certain the choke is opening completely????? How about the air cleaner? Is it clean??? Both of these will cause the engine to run rich. If everything else is ok, try running it on e-85 for a couple of tanks. Might just run great.

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Postby b52c130 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 am

Garland, The "Idle Mixture" screw that you are talking about is an 'air bleed' screw for idle mixture 'air'. The system on the Zenith idle mixture works just the opposite of most carburetors. Most carburetor idle system screws adjust the gasoline in the idle mixture - the Zenith adjusts the air in the idle mixture. Turning the screw 'out' increases the air in the idle mixture and thus makes the idle mixture 'leaner'. The idle circuit really only affects the mixture at idle or about 500 to 600 RPM. Above that RPM the 'main mixture jet' starts to take over and the carburetor is running on the main mixture jet fully at any RPM above about 1,200 RPM.

The Zenith carburetor on the 184 came factory equipped with a #22 Main Jet and a #12 Idle jet. The 184 had a different Intake/Exhaust Manifold than the 154. To take advantage of the larger Zenith throttle plate, the 184 came with an intake manifold that was 3/4" internal diameter verse the smaller 154 intake manifold which was 5/8" (I think) diameter. If you have the smaller intake manifold, this might have an effect on how much vacuum can be pulled at the carburetor verses the venturi that is currently installed in the Zenith. In other words the vacuum signal that the carburetor is getting might be wrong.

I would first check what 'packrat' suggested; that the choke is opening fully and that the air cleaner is clean. "Wix Fleet" sells the air cleaner at a good discount (still expensive though). Then check for vacuum leaks with either propane or WD40. If all of that is good, then I would measure the internal diameter of the intake manifold and upgrade to the larger one - Hamilton Bob is a good source. If you decide to start playing with the main mixture jet, McDonald Carburetor in GA is a good source. I think that his main jets are about $10 plus shipping.

Hope that this helps, NJDale

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:23 am

Great post, Dale. Somewhere I recall a post with information on Zenith jet sizes for service replacement cabs for the old IH carb. They were different than the late numbered tractors and Cubs that came with the larger manifolds and Zenith carbs as I recall.
Last edited by bob in CT on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Did something change or has there always been a smell?

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks basically it is all of these things. I think that the zenith is just too much carb. I may put the IH back on it. I replaced the filter and that helped, I adjusted the air screw out and that helped, I think I will shoot hamilton bob an email and inquire about a 184 manifold. Is a 184 manifold an integral unit like the 154? It looks like the exhaust and intake are integrated. I dread taking off the Muffler. MORE HEAT. The whole reason to change out the carb was because I needed more power. The zenith is a NOS NIB and I just put it on. I don't think it has been dinked with. That was several years ago and I haven't used the old tractor much. Most of the time has been spent on restoration. Thanks I will proceed with the sewing of the money! :lol:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Float level too high? I have zenith carbs on my fcub and one of my int154's and they run great. While repairing gravely tractors i found the venturi in the zenith carbs can be changed to smaller and larger sizes. Go to mcdonald carb & ignition on the net he has lots of parts for carbs.

Plus i said the ame thing this week while smelling my neighbors exhaust on his cadet this new gas smells very bad.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”