Jeff M wrote:No Crocs!!!
Well the blue ones have sort of worn out.. hmmmm crocs that last what 7/8 years
I now have a pair of tan ones
Well I am not so sure. Would have to do the math I guess (right after I figure out what the math needs to be
). The splitter itself is rated for 15 tons with an outboard power pack - usually 5HP Honda/B&S/Tecumseh gas engine. This particular splitter would have retailed for almost $1,450.00Cdn a couple years ago with the power pack. With Ellie's TC as the hydraulic supply (max 2,500 lbs) and the PRV set at 1,000 lbs with a 3" cylinder, I figure that I am getting about a ton and a half or two tons of pressure. Seems to be more than enough even for the Red Oak and other species. The ones that give me the biggest grief is the spruce -- really gnarly/knotty and does present some unique scenarios. I am not convinced that brute force is the solution to splitting problems. I find finesse is much more useful. Split between the knots, slab off as needed and you usually end up with stove/furnace sized wood easily.
I think so far I may have used maybe 8 gallons of gas to split the 15 cords or so I have already split. With a regular 2 stroke it would have cost me twice or 3 times as much in fuel alone. The 8 gallons or so includes the fuel needed to get up into and back down from the woods. Right now I am splitting about 1/2 km from the house. I like the idea of splitting where the logs are. Less handling. I still will bring 4 foot out of the bush cause I cut them on my saw table, but now I will be cutting then splitting on the fly - so that I can skip that one major step of piling to season before splitting.
Gary, here are the links to the project itself
Thanks, I still cannot believe that Ellie can split the size of stock we have been splitting and at an idle to top it off. That really blows me away.