This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throwout Bearing Failed/Transmission "Clatter"

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LMNO
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03755

Throwout Bearing Failed/Transmission "Clatter"

Postby LMNO » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 am

:help:

My throwout bearing completely disintegrated while plowing the garden, even though it was new 2 years ago when my '58 Cub got running again. Prior to that it had sat for 25+ years.

Since the rebuild, I had a vibration whenever the clutch was engaged. It went away when I let off the clutch pedal. If I was at minimum idle, pushing the clutch would stall the engine.

And I also have a clatter in the transmission area in Reverse and 1st gear. It is louder under a load, such as plowing or going up a hill. My mechanic checked the transmission and found a gear that had a tiny crack. We replaced it thinking that it might be enough to cause the noise, but the clatter persists. Also have a new clutch.

Any thoughts? I don't want to just put in a new throwout bearing if there are other issues that need to be addressed.

Thanks.

Michael Evans
Michael Evans
1958 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throwout Bearing Failed/Transmission "Clatter"

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 am

bearing was probably ruined by a mal adjusted clutch. Shouldn't chatter, when the pedal is depressed. Were the clutch fingers adjusted, when the bearing was replaced, previously? Clatter in the tranny could be a chipped gear, that was missed, or a worn reverse?first slider bushing or gear. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:52 am

Michael:

As Ed said, sounds like the fingers were not adjusted properly. You might want to read this How To Adjust Clutch Fingers. Check out the areas Ed indicated for the other noises.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm

If you are having trouble trying to get it adjusted next weekend is the NE Cubfest, probably about the closest one to you, lots of cubbers will be there and will help with your cub
Tim

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:09 pm

When the TOB was replaced two years ago, was it an OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket, that could be part of the problem.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm

I keep forgetting a couple of things when it comes to the TOB and one of them is the after-market TOB's.

Bob McCarty wrote:When the TOB was replaced two years ago, was it an OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket, that could be part of the problem.

Bob

As Bob said that can play a big part. Another thing I keep forgetting is that you need to load the TOB with lubricant before installing it. The cheapest grease you can find, the kind that breaks down quickly and will soak/load up the graphite. A dry TOB will fail rather quickly no matter if it is an OEM or even an after-market one. The after-market ones are really not worth the price or the time wasted.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

LMNO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LMNO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the information. Adjusting the clutch fingers is not looking really clear to me, but perhaps because I have no idea what it all looks like inside. I don't know if my TOB was OEM or aftermarket, but will try to find out.

NE Cubfest looks interesting - I might try to attend. It's only 3 hours away. It looks as though someone else is bringing a TOB project. I'll try to find out more specific to that project on the Cubfest NE 2011 thread.
Michael Evans
1958 Farmall Cub

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:14 pm

LMNO wrote:... NE Cubfest looks interesting - I might try to attend. It's only 3 hours away. ...

Come on over. It is well worth a 3 hour drive. I drive over 8 to get there. Time well spent.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
LMNO wrote:... NE Cubfest looks interesting - I might try to attend. It's only 3 hours away. ...
Come on over. It is well worth a 3 hour drive. I drive over 8 to get there. Time well spent.Bill
Bill...Will you be bringing that new trailer for me/us to drool all over ? :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Winfield Dave wrote:
Bill Hudson wrote:
Come on over. It is well worth a 3 hour drive. I drive over 8 to get there. Time well spent.Bill
Bill...Will you be bringing that new trailer for me/us to drool all over ? :D

Dave, NO drooling, on trailers! Slippery trailer decks are dangerous! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

tulalipjames
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98271
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub
1947 Gibson E

Postby tulalipjames » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Before you invest in new TOB, check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61590&hilit=chevrolet&start=45#p507630

Much cheaper than new graphite TO bearing. I've been using the chevrolet bearing for several months, doing grading work on campsite pads 2-3 times a week. Very intensive clutch work. So far no problems.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Tulalipjames, Do you remember what the cost was to machine the graphite bearing to allow insertion of the Chevy TOB?

Thanks, Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

LMNO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LMNO » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:34 pm

"Wow!" is all I can say on the graphite versus roller-bearing TOB controversy. Way over my head - which now hurts from reading that post. But it's nice to see all the passion from different points-of-view handled in a relatively respectful way.

I'm inclined to stick with OEM graphite, since, as far as I know, the original graphite TOB lasted around 30 years. Replacement lasted less than one year, but I cannot say the operator kept his foot off the clutch or that it wasn't the result of mal-adjusted fingers, etc. $45+ for something that lasts 25-40 years seems okay with me.

Can I expect that a Case/I-H dealer will carry a replacement OEM graphite bearing? I'm thinking I'll pick one up and perhaps bring it and my Cub to Cubfest NE and beg for help.
Michael Evans
1958 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Michael:

I would expect that a dealer should have an OEM part, but with dealers you never know. My CaseIH dealer used to have OEM carb kits but now all they stock are aftermarket Specter kits so I never take anything for granted. However, TM Tractor does have the OEM replacement TOB original clutch release bearing and retainer, 350921R11

Unfortunately they are a bit more expensive than $45.00 +/- .... The cheaper ones are usually aftermarket.

Messick's shows the same price - 350921R11 Retainer Qty in stock: 2 Days to order: 3-5 business days

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Whichever brand you choose, make sure that it is fully saturated with grease BEFORE you install it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”