This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

deck removal

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

deck removal

Postby Garland Terry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Man I am sick of this thing. Getting the deck off of my 154 is like cleaning a tigers teeth through his anus. It stinks, its full of twists and turns and when you get there its sharp and it bites you. :lol: I am a one man band most of the time and when I got this thing 20 years ago I am sure that I could just unbolt it and pick up the front end and walk it off just like Lil' Abner lifting a steam engine........ at least I remember it that way. :sick: Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a jig to drive off or over an IH deck. Please do not suggest that a chisel out a pit in the shop floor :P . Thanks GT :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: deck removal

Postby Barnyard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 pm

I am not familiar with this type mower so I can not offer any help. I do know that a large mass of metal tends to get heavier as it ages.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

Postby Dieselrider » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:54 am

These old decks are indeed heavy buggers. I park my 184 on a concrete surface to remove the deck and it can be a wrasslin match to slide it out the side. I have thought about ramps before but thus far have not pursued building any. Being two wheel drive tractor and figuring the angle needed to clear the deck, I have wondered if it would be possible to safely back the machine over the deck anyway. (perhaps that chissled depression in the shop floor :mrgreen: ) The ramps would need to be heavy enough to support a 1600+ pound machine. Please let us know if you tackle this and what you find. It may inspire someone else to follow suit and come up with a method.

The one good thing about these heavy old decks (mine is a 3160A) is the heavy weight has made them last a very long time. I have looked at some of these newer machines (JD) and the decks that you just drive over to take them off and wonder if they will still be functioning in 35 years.
Last edited by Dieselrider on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:35 am

I have tried driving over the deck before. Not easy and skuffs the paint. It didn't bend any metal, but after doing it once I don't recemmend it.
I then decided to add a wheel to the front left side of the deck. On the 3160a deck, there is one wheel in the front right (that is always pointed forward) but there was nothing for the front left. You still have to drag the front right side, but the front left now rolls.
I think this would work best by putting the deck onto a creeper (for crawling under a car). Here's how I think it might work.
1 Drive front wheels up on a 4x4 or ramps to gain a few inches of clearance.
2 Block back wheels
3 Lift deck to highest setting
4 Slide creeper under deck
5 Lower deck onto creeper & shut off tractor
6 Disconnect drive belt deck from tractor
7 Roll deck out from under tractor
8 Remove remaining supporting hardware from tractor
9 Store in newly built shed for toys! :lol: :{_}:

Better idea.... Hire a fresh teenage back!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

Postby Dieselrider » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:15 pm

outdoors4evr wrote: On the 3160a deck, there is one wheel in the front right (that is always pointed forward) but there was nothing for the front left. You still have to drag the front right side, but the front left now rolls.

Not sure if my deck is all original or not but, it has a roller on each front side and on in the middle of the rear of the deck. Anyway, you got me to thinking that if you could come up with four brackets with casters that you could clamp on each corner of the deck, then lower the deck down and disconnect everything, it should roll right out of there. What do you think?

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower

Postby seahaul » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 am

Here's how I take an International deck off of my 154.
1) Place a creeper under the rear of the mower, then lower the mower.
2) Detach the lifting arms and the rear arms.
3) Jack up one of the rear wheels far enough for the rear arms to pass under the wheel.
4) Roll the mower out to the side.
This works pretty well if you have a concrete surface so the wheels roll easily. I would not recommend driving over the deck.
Charlie

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm 60yo my legs are shot but my upper body is still strong. I disconnect it all and raise up the lifting arms and wrap a 5/16" chain with hooks on the loop of the deck on the chute side. Then i just drag it out from under the tractor. I steer it out by pulling the chain the direction i want it to go.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 am

My 154s have a woods mower and I just drive over the mower. Works better on grass so the mower will not slide.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Sorry i left out i tie up the rear bracket from the final drive brackets with tie wraps so its up and out of the way. Then i slide out the mower deck. I do not remove it that often only to sharpen it but i have learn't to drive up a slope and park it and block the tires and use a 4'' hand grinder to sharpen the blades that way. As i get older i guess my sons will do it for me. Bill

BTW; I just started up my #1, my 1st int154 with the rebuilt engine and she runs awesome i need to swap out the pto/ assemble the 60'' deck next. Maybe this week if the weather holds out.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I have one on the 185,---just block up up some boards to get front wheels started up over the deck and go for it in reverse!---to remount drive up over the back using the wood blocks. I have dragged it out the side before but the front deck wheels get in the way of the front tractor wheels!-----I now use the JD 420 loader tractor to lift the front up, then grab the deck and swing it out!
To just sharpen the blades,--- run front of tractor up on car ramps reach under to the blades with the air wrench and another wrench to hold the top of the bolts and zip them off, sharpen the blades and zip the nuts back on with the air wrench,---saves taking the deck off and only takes a few mins. to do---even for me! thanks; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”