This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kitchen Remodel

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Kitchen Remodel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:10 am

Starting to gear up to remodel my kitchen, have shoped cabinets and looking at counter tops. Leaning toward granite for the counters but still not sure. What are thoughts on countertops. Cabinets will be all wood construction no particle board. Getting into my busy time at work so most likely a fall project.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Kitchen Remodel

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am

Joe:

Congrats on going for the reno. Am glad to hear that you are not entertaining Particle Board cabinets. They are really low end and have a short life span. All the cabinets I build unless specifically contracted to build out of PB (these were mostly commercial installs where PB was required), were built from Veneer Core sheet goods and solid woods. At the price of new cabinets why pay for cheap stuff.

As far as countertops go .. I dislike molded tops. Am happier with Corian and other cultured tops in that category - there are 3 or 4 really good ones. Granite - well that is upper end and is most home owner's dream top. Ideal for bread making, pizza dough and so many other applications for those who love to cook. Cleanup is simple, bacteria has an extremely difficult time making a home in granite so on the health issue side it is one of the more desirable. If it fits in your budget that is the top I would go for. The bet choice possible to my mind.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 am

We redid our kitchen in the fairly recent past. I think we looked at about every countertop material imagineable. We dismissed granite because of the problem with staining and the need to seal it periodically to avoid stains. We finally settled on Silestone which is one of the "engineered quartz" materials. It is about 95% quartz and 5% space-age plastic. It is very hard, scratch resistant, heat resistant and non-maintenance. As I recall, the cost was close to granite. Been very happy with the choice.

CKCowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: V1S2A5
Tractors Owned: 56 Cub Loboy
Fast Hitch
L-22 Mower
L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby CKCowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:08 am

Joe
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's wife has them busy.
My daughter used granite counter tops and like Jim said they do stain and have
to be sealed often.
Being a woodworker, I am with Rudi. Good choice not going with particle board, you won't regret it.
I just finished the Laundry room, Kitchen is the next on the list for SWMBO
Good luck with your reno.
To soon old to late smart!

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 am

Hello, we did a complete kitchen remodel about 5 years ago. Knocked out walls, expanded area, high end appliances,the whole enchilada. My wife and I did almost the entire thing with little outside help. We did have a local cabinet maker do the cabinets in Cherry. I am sure glad we bit the bullet on that, they are so much nicer than the lower end choices. As for counter tops, we went crazy with all the choices and finally settled on Soap Stone. No one out here in the West much knew of soapstone or stocked it for that manner. We ended up driving to Southern California (about 12 hour round trip) to purchase the material. It is user friendly and we installed it ourselves. It is quieter than granite, a little less expensive, too. Takes some upkeep such as periodic oiling. We love it and are very happy with this choice.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Steve:

You know, I have seen soapstone all my life but have never conceived it as being used for a counter top. Art/sculpture yes.. countertops... nah. But I bet it is awesome. Another material that we discovered from our rockhounding experiences is Labradorite. Apparently it is being quarried commercially and the primary purpose is counter tops.

image courtesy Pietrafina

This is something that I really like.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Rudi, that Labradorite is impressive. Glade I didn't see it when trying to make our decision on the tops. Just a footnote to the soapstone material, we found it is used big time back east, up east or whatever. So much so, that the quarries are running out. Most soapstone these days is being brought in from other countries!
Thanks, Steve K.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

I am a poor guy, very happy with Formica! Heck, it's even white.... I used 'Sunco' cabinets when I did my kitchen(s). Not top end by any stretch, but they are solid oak fronts and plywood veneer sides. Decent quality for the money. They are out of Easton Ma, turns out they are the building that made the news with the roof collapse this winter. http://www.suncocabinets.com/about_us/news.html Pretty sure the cabinets I have are made in China. Probably from US wood??

Depending on how much you need, I have some stone stacked up next to my garage. You are welcome to any or all of it :D Probably not enough matching for a full kitchen, but the price is right.

Personally I love the look of stone, but nothing fragile bounces off it. And I have 'house blindness', means once I notice something I pay little (no) attention to it.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for the input, I am a carpenter by trade and custom cabinets was our first choice, decided to price them out and not build them myself. Without counters we were at better than 30k, ouch. Had a kitchen design guy do the layout we had using high end cabinets, much happier with that price. We can do granite for as low as $58 a Square ft but we are open to some of the man made stuff out there too.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Joe:

Have you looked the Labradorite tops? tres cool a mundo 8) 8) 8) Once polished I think they are pretty much impervious to most stuff.

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sat May 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Joe how is the remodel coming along, I took our kitchen apart to the studs. I am going with the granite I just like it. My friend Bill is finishing up his kitchen and the one change I might have been willing to make, If i had not already invested in the tile , would have been to go with some of the cork product on the floor. It feels really good under the foot and if you were to drop glass on it there would be a lot less chance of shattering. Just an Idea. We are going with a little 30" viking professional series gas range with matching hood and for the rest, simple country fair she wants a dishwasher and plenty of open space. Maybe I'll take a picture when I get to it. :D
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 am

Joe,
I re-did our kitchen back in 2008. We chose a solid surface material (Corian, but ours is some other brand name) counter top, mostly because my wife wanted a molded in sink. I'm pretty happy with it, however it does scratch easy, and she actually melted a section of it just to the right of the stove with a Crock Pot. The counter top actually sagged and I was able to heat it back up with a heat gun, and push it back up, let it cool, and you can't even tell that it ever happened. I guess that's one benefit of the SSM tops, that you can sand, polish, mold, etc. them really easily if you do have a problem. I also made a butcher block top out of maple and cherry for the island, just to have something different. Here are some pictures of my project,
Bill

Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu May 19, 2011 5:02 am

Wow Bill that looks great, quite a transformation. We looked at corian and the university I work for has experimented using it in student kithens. At this point we are leaning toward granite but who knows.
Joe

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:21 am

Update, well we are still in a holding pattern waiting for delivery of the new cabinets. We will be installing a new laminate floor similar to what we have in the rest of the house. The cabinets are oak fronts and solid wood construction, no particle board anywhere all shelves are wood as well. The counter top came down to the final choice of granite, it is what my wife wanted so it will be. I have several friends with granite and they are all very happy with it. So in about a week the major demo will start I have a electrician lined up as well as a plumber so now it is just a matter of me along with a couple friends who work in the trade getting our motivation in gear. I am actually pretty excited about this project and hope to have it completed by Thanksgiving. We go to a relatives for the day so I have no deadline pressure except my own.
Joe

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Well I got a call that the cabinets will be in on Tuesday. My wife was away for the weekend so let the demo begin. All that is left for cabinets is a sink base and lazy susan. Cut the walls open for the electrician, and managed to get it all cleaned up and functionable for now. Hope to do some storm clean up in the morning at my daughters house. Managed a quick walk in my woods, we have enough wood to cut for a long time. Many red oak trees with snapped off tops. Lots of dangerous branches hung up too. My sister and her husband picked a great year to buy a splitter. Hard to believe the damage from this storm.
Joe

Return to “Projects Forum”