This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub 154 owner

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Navycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03079

New Cub 154 owner

Postby Navycub » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Hello All,
I purchased a cub lo-boy 154 a few weeks back and I am well into a restoration. Paid $900 it was 95% intact sheet metal and all original parts. One down side is that the serial number plate had been painted over and the owner before me thought a wire wheel was a good way to clean it. All I can make out on the plate is a star that looks like an asterisk. The only other identifying mark is a tag that is stamped 'Property of the Navy'. Are there any tell tail feature that can nail down date of mfg without the serial number?

On anther note I currently have approximately $2700 invested between purchased and my restoration. This might be proof that I have finally gone over the edge! From what I see the most these go for is $2500-$3000 with the price often dropping into the $1200 range.

I am also looking for implements if anyone knows a good source? Primarily a mower and snowblade.
Frank

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub 154 owner

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Welcome to the Forum!!
Usually the DoD tags will also have the SN on them as well. The 154s were built from 68-74. Look over the tractor for casting codes and on the engine for the EngSN which can be used as clues to finding the year of manufacture. Check out the "For Sale" section of this forum for implements. Have fun with your new tractor! :D
Have a look at these links:
http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm
http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html
http://www.hamiltonbobscubs.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ihcubloboyseries/

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 pm

The hydraulic system on the late 60's tractor has the return line on the bottom of the tranny on the same pipe the suction line is on, as the later earlier 70's 154 has the return line on the tranny top shifter cover. The earlier late 60's tractor has a light blue hood decal while the early 70's 154 has the black striped one. Next is the PTO drive on the drive shaft, The late 60's 154 has the PTO drive pulley on the drive shaft while the early 70's 154 has the drive pulley on the engine rear flywheel. This is the only way i can tell the year of my int154's, i have one with no number plate at all too. I have one early 70's 154 and two of the lare 60's int154 cub loboys. My two late 60's 154's came from the same guy.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Navycub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Navycub » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks Big Bill and Raymond! Great tips!!!!

Navycub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Navycub » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I have my 154 narrowed down as a Late 60's tractor.

Original labels are Lt Blue (couldn't find original style so now has Black 70's style.

Hydraulic return is on the bottom

PTO is on the drive shaft

This became more important because I tried to get a license plate for when I use it in a parade. The town clerk won't issue 'farm plates' because I don't own a farm. So the tractor become a piece of construction equipment. She then asks what kind of construction equipment its? Loader no. backhoe no. Its a tractors!!!! They then insists it has a VIN #. My tag was sanded off! So I'm getting a serial number tag from Steiner s and will dummy a number. The alternative: drive to a state inspector (at highway scales) and they look it over and give me a stick on plastic label! Bureaucracy is a beautiful thing.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:59 pm

If you want the SN plate to look original, you might be able to have tst make an overlay for you. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64635 He would just need to find a photo of an original.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Why do you need a tag?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Frank:

G'day and congrats :applause: on your new to you Cub 154 :D

For the SN tag... the serial number is usually stanped into the plate. An 2B or 4B pencil would be useful - spread some graphite on the tag - the graphite will deposit in any of the depressions. You may be able to get the SN by that method.

Proof of an addictive hobby maybe but that is about it. Many of us have way more invested in our Cubs than we could seriously recoup in a sale. It is all about what makes us feel good etc., :D

Although I do not have a lot of info on the Numbered Series Cubs there is some pretty good stuff available for the Cub 154 Lo-Boy so far. There is some useful info especially on implements in the TC-131 Parts Catalog Revision 8.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Suggest you post a want for the implements in our Wanted Cub Items forum
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”