This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wisconsin engines twin cylinders???

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Wisconsin engines twin cylinders???

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:33 pm

I know or think the big twin cylinder engines can be noisy at times but lately i just noticed my hobart is a little noisy with a slight rattle. I'm not too familair with these heavy duty twin cylinder engines so is it normal?? It almost sounds like a ping type noise. But she runs awesome. No smoke and great compression. I was thinking maybe the valves need adjusting? Its not a knock type noise. I know the valves on the old gravely l head were very noisy too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Re: Wisconsin engines twin cylinders???

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Mag or distributor? at any rate, check the timing. Also make sure the gas is good. The Ditchwitch I had needed high test to prevent pinging.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:16 pm

I too vote for timing check and gas quality trial! thanks; sonny

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:55 am

The 2-cylinder Wisconsin engines I used were back in the 1950s. Flat head (valve-in-block) inline, air cooled. It is widely believed that flat head engines have a greater tendency to "spark knock" than do OHV engines of comparable compression. And air cooled engines run hotter than do liquid cooled ones. Hot surfaces can cause preignition. Using higher octane fuel to test it is not going to harm anything except your wallet.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Remove the shrouds and clean the cooling fins on both cylinders and the fins on the flywheel. Engine over heating or hot spots in cylinder(s).

Points gap and ignition timing.

Run SeaFoam in gasoline to help remove carbon deposits.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:48 am

You guys are right again. My son got me a can of regular gas fror it. It sounds like a ping now. I did add a can of seafoam in the tank too. I'll gas her up with high test and wait till the next blackout.

I haqd over 20 gallons of high test gas and i'm down to 8 gallons left for running this big machine for a week thats not bad.

She needs and diserves a full tune up now too. I'm sure she hasn't been tuned in eons. I just sandpaper the points and gap them by eye to make it run for now. You guys have to be always right i need to time it too and go thru it all completely. I need to fab a little trailer so my cadet can tow it too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”