This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

chainsaws ????? opinions???

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

chainsaws ????? opinions???

Postby BigBill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:14 am

When i was loggin i only used husqvarna professional chainsaws. I never lost a day of work because of a chainsaw not running. But they are very expensive for the pro models but the overall quality is a lot higher over the cheaper saws. The cylinders are chrome lined and they run at a higher rpm which allows them to cut faster. But you need to keep the saw chain razor sharp all the time.

My point is i'm looking for a smaller chain saw to cut brush with and something cheap incase it falls out of a tree when my son climbs up to cut limbs.

There are a lot of refurbs being offered right now. I see the Blue Max chain saw at a very affordable cost too. Then there are the homelites, the poulan's and some ort of chainsaw from china too.

Does anyone have any experiece with the blue max chain saw???
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: chainsaws ????? opinions???

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:56 am

get a Stihl You will not regret it
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 am

I agree with David. Get a Stihl.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

gcbailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24740
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall CUB #62395
'62 Cub Cadet
'69 Cub Cadet 73 w/Haban Sickle bar
'71 Cub Cadet 127
'76 Cub Cadet Sof76
'07 Cub Cadet LT1045
'09 Cub Cadet GT2544

Postby gcbailey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:05 am

Dad cuts wood year round, he has an outside stove/furnace. We've got the big Husqy 455 "farm" model w/20" bar and Stihl MS-261 w/18" bar. I personally like the Stihl better... The Stihl definitely runs longer, don't know if the tank is bigger or not. A log of the logging companies around here use Shindawa (sp?) but I think they got bought out by Echo.

bear32055
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62258
Tractors Owned: 3-1955 FCubs serial numbers 191155,191156 and 191158
1958 fcub

Postby bear32055 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:41 am

I have used almost all brands and only use Stihl now.Seems to me its the most bang for the buck.JMO

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:01 am

go ahead and get one of the better ones then tie a short rope to it and to a nose ring on son. He will NOT drop it. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:11 pm

I've owned a Stihl for more than 30 years, they are hard to beat.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Stihl is the one to get. Absolutely the most bang for the buck.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Bill,
Been doing some research for over a year and am getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a new saw - Husqvarna 346XP.
I've owned a Husqvarna 141 w/16" Bar for about 9 years that has been a great saw. It is under powered when cutting anything over 12" diameter so I've wanted a bigger saw for that work, keeping the 141 for limbing and smaller stuff. It's a good saw for the boys to learn on too.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:08 pm

BigBill wrote:Does anyone have any experiece with the blue max chain saw???

I guess I will bring this back around to your question. I'm sure by now you have done your homework and you know Stihl is the best bet, but you are wanting info on the Blue Max. I can't help you with that but I have heard of them, however I have only seen them listed on line. Have you seen them in stores anywhere? Is there a dealer near you who carries them? If so, the best thing to do is check it out and ask the dealer a lot of questions. If you are buying one sight unseen from the internet then I would be leery of what you get.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:52 pm

I have owed my Husqvarna 450E saw for a few years. I run it side by side with a Stihl 290 that my buddy owns we traded saws for 1 tank of fuel. When we were finished he wouldn't give me back my saw until we were done for the day. I will admit that the Husky runs at least 300-400 more RPMs than the Stihl.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Right now i have one husqvarna 385XP & up to 24'' to 36'' bars, two husqvarna 575 XP's with 20'', 28'' / 32'' bars and one 353 with an 18'' bar. These are all just a few years old. I'd like to get something cheap, very cheap to beat the brush with and maybe a fall every so often. I have a chainsaw collection too of older poulans(2)/ homelites(1) / mc collok eager beavers(4) i picked up at tag sales and the town dump. I'm pondering fixing one or buying a new one. One of my eager beavers with a 9'' bar just needs a new gas line which i already have here. I really don't want to drop another $200+ in a chainsaw i'd rather spend under $100 if i can. I have an older poulan that needs assembly of the starter/pull housing, it came with the new place. I guess i'm just getting old and lazy. I been looking at a new husqvarna 395xp so my sons can log my place in vt easier. I have well over 80 years of virgin timber to thin out.

I grabbed a poulan wild thing at the dump that the side plate adjustment broke a hole thru the cover near the bar adjustment nuts. I put a larger flat plate to hold the bar adjustment ingaged to the bar and it holds and cuts decent for what it is. I gave it to my son to keep at his house. People just throw this stuff away and it sill still run with a few fixins.

Since i make up my own saw chain loops i'd like to stay with the size saw chain i have on hand. One other problem i have is i use 50:1 two stroke mix in the husqvarna saws which i always have on hand. So i need a saw that can use this mix too. I would just like something around 32cc's that i can start easily. (saying this quietly my arthritis is getting worse) I'm starting to have a hard time starting the larger saws on somedays.

During my search i found the battery operated chainsaws, a few years ago i got the misses an electric powered chain saw for her to trim the bushes and shrubs. While browsing i found remington now offers an 18vt rechargable chain saw now too. This would be great for her because no extention cord is needed. I'm going to give her an upgrade she can't refuse.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 pm

I have a couple Eager Beavers and they were re-cons--(nothing wrong with that) they are easier to start than the mini saws(all brands included here) also have had 4 Homelite super-xl saws (once again easy to start)---I was just given a stil 250 that had to have complete fuel system rebuild and its the hardest D thing to start on planet earth!!!---gotta switch plugs if you shut it off or it will not restart,---very hard on sore hands!!--short pull and just not safe for us old farts to have to contend with!---the stil cuts (if and when you finally get it started) probably faster than other saws----I like to run it, just getting it started is the big issue with it!----I got to run a stil 290 last week AFTER the owner started it and handed it to me ---a very nice cutting saw, so as far as the max saws I have never heard of such beast,--cant offer any honest evaluation on that brand! thanks; sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 am

I have a bushel of eager beavers to be repaired when i get time but i just bid on sleezebay for more for parts. I found the eager beavers with the 9'' bar a great saw to carry on the quad when were deep in the woods to keep the trails open. When i had the quad we did 100 miles a day off road but really 50 miles because the quad was in the air the other 50miles spinning the wheels. doing nac-nac's i liked jumping getting air.

I figure with all the cheap eager beavers and so many quad owners i could corner the market someday on chainsaws for quads???

The stihl's are all torque while the husqvarna's are all speed and rpm's. I raced an stihl 032 with my husqvarna 240 40cc and beat it. He was half way thru the 12'' log when i started and we came out the bottom together. Back in the day i did all the local fairs in speed cutting and have many trophy's and ribbons for winning each class. My fastest cut was with a 100cc husqvarna saw i did 8 cuts in 17.5 seconds in a 9x9 timber. Thats 6 straight cuts 3 down/ 3 up and boring two holes in without breaking out. I was in my prime loggin back then. The crowd would go wild.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 pm

[quote="SONNY"]
I was just given a stil 250 that had to have complete fuel system rebuild and its the hardest D thing to start on planet earth!!!---gotta switch plugs if you shut it off or it will not restart,---very hard on sore hands!!--short pull and just not safe for us old farts to have to contend with!---

If your 250 is hard to start it needs looked at. I have one and work with 3 others and they all take 4 or 5 pulls on choke and 2 or 3 after it tries. If plug is fouling out, look for a plugged or partially plugged muffler. Dont ask. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”