This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pole pruner questions

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Rmankty
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48446

pole pruner questions

Postby Rmankty » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Hello, I pray you all have an excellent Thanksgiving!!! I need any input you experienced pruners can give.I'm going to buy a pole pruner, My parents bought a house with a 20 ft tower in back for lighting,and the people who had house at the time planted a vine right in the center of this tower,the local Ag. extension says is probably Hummingbird vine. I'm thinking of getting a Mr.Long Arm model 2324 extension pole 6-23 ft. and a separate saw/pruner head so I can stay on the ground.Does anyone have experience with these long extension poles while sawing or pruning? I'd like to get some input before buying.Thank you for your advice!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pole pruner questions

Postby DanR » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:47 am

I bought one for trimming the mulberry trees. The pruner works OK for branches under 1/4". The saw is worthless, the blade is flimsy and cannot be controlled from the ground. IMO a waste of money.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 am

I have a Poulan electric trimmer. Basically a small electric chainsaw on a pole. Extends out to about 15 feet. Works ok.

Problem areas. Leverage, it gets really heavy when extened to full length. The longer the pole the less precise you ability to control the cut. Cuts smaller limbs just fine. 3" or 4" diameter or larger limbs have a tendency to pinch the bar - then you are in trouble. No automatic oiler - after every cut or two you have to push the manual oiler. After the cut you have to bring the saw down, trying not to get the chain in the dirt, to push the oiler.

You either need a small generator set or a considerable length of electric cord - depending on where the pole saw is used.

I bought the pole trimmer thinking I would use it to reach into cedars to clear some lower branches - providing a clearing/access to the trunk. Didn't work as I intended.

I have use it sucessfully to trim branches from trees around the house. That is an occasional use. I have an electric chain saw that works well if you can get into/climb the tree. The electric chain saw is much lighter than either of the regular chain saws I use on the farm.
I have an excuse. CRS.

rogerk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27021
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub

Postby rogerk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:06 pm

I have a fiskars pole pruner that works really well. the saw is very sharp and I can easily trim branches 20' up. once you get the hang of it it works pretty good for the money. and if your not planning on using one that much.............http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/g ... -8583.html

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:23 pm

The vine is probably what we call a trumpet vine here, and will take over your whole yard if not killed completely out! I am still fighting a couple of them here!---round-up will work on them,---Tordon(sp.) works better,---cut the vines off at the ground and the upper part will rot off so you can pull the pieces down a few at the time!

As for pole pruners,---very un-handy/hard to work with!--- watch the chainsaw type and dont hit the metal tower with them! thanks; sonny

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Had a Huskavarna gas pole saw it worked well. It was a gas chain saw with an automatic oiler. The pole was in sections but when it was at max length it seemed top heavy. A couple of weeks ago as we were cleaning out our stuff because we sold the farm I gave it to my son. He is younger and did not find it as top heavy as i did. bill is glad I gave it to him.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Pole saws work fine- provided it is not a cheap-o. You can get really sharp blades with the Japanese style tooth. They are awkward, but once you get the hang of it they are fine. Here is a great looking one: http://www.garrettwade.com/hd-pole-saw-and-bypass-pruner/p/10G08.10/ or this one: http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-capacity-xhd-jumbo-pole-saw-and-pruner/p/11G13.03/

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 pm

i have one, forgot the brand but it is professional quality. you can add extensions to it and i probably have enough for 20 to 25 feet. i do want to get one with a chain saw cutter next. i'll get the name of the one i have tomorrow and post it.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”