This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

STUMPED: Flooded/Hard Starting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

STUMPED: Flooded/Hard Starting

Postby Stanton » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:30 am

Attended the Chilhowee Antique Farm Machinery Collectors tractor show this weekend (since I couldn't make Cub-Arama) and when I arrived, we went to eat breakfast (20-30 minutes), then went back and tried starting my Cub. Wouldn't start. Appeared to be flooded. I did pull the choke rod once or twice, but no more. I removed the carb bowl screw and emptied out the gas, took the air intake connection off (gas was inside) and cleaned it out, even removed the main fuel jet. Still wouldn't start. I left it there and made the tour looking at the other tractors. Then I returned in an hour or so, and removed the whole carb, emptied it; still didn't start. I noticed that gas was sputtering out of the drain hole below the carb when I pulled the starter rod (I did not have the choke rod pulled during this time).

Any suggestions?

On the way home, I said to my wife, "Watch. She'll start as soon as we get home." Sure enough, started right up after getting home and drove it off the trailer. Frustrating!! :x
Last edited by Stanton on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Flooded/Hard Starting

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 am

1) Needle valve area, most likely crud under needle valve.
2) Float drop not set properly or float hanging up on side of bowl.

Shut off the fuel supply at the tank when parking the tractor?
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 am

Something loose, electrically? Coil or distributor wiring. Would suck in fuel, if not firing, flooding it. Vibration, going back home wiggling the connection enough, to reconnect? Intermittent problems, can drive a saint, to drink and cuss! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 am

Stanton wrote:Attended the Chilhowee Antique Farm Machinery Collectors tractor show this weekend (since I couldn't make Cub-Arama) and when I arrived, we went to eat breakfast (20-30 minutes), then went back and tried starting my Cub. Wouldn't start. Appeared to be flooded. I did pull the choke rod once or twice, but no more. I removed the carb bowl screw and emptied out the gas, took the air intake connection off (gas was inside) and cleaned it out, even removed the main fuel jet. Still wouldn't start. I left it there and made the tour looking at the other tractors. Then I returned in an hour or so, and removed the whole carb, emptied it; still didn't start. I noticed that gas was sputtering out of the drain hole below the carb when I pulled the starter rod (I did not have the choke rod pulled during this time).

Any suggestions?

On the way home, I said to my wife, "Watch. She'll start as soon as we get home." Sure enough, started right up after getting home and drove it off the trailer. Frustrating!! :x

I agree with Eugene on this. Your float may hang up just a bit from time to time and continually allow fuel to flow into the carburetor thus flooding the system. I always shut off the fuel supply if the tractor will be sitting at all and I'll shut it off an run the fuel out of it if it will be sitting for any extended period of time. The drive home may have dislodged the float if it was sticking and given it time for the excess fuel to flow out of the carburetor. On the other hand, seeing that you drained it and still had problems, it could have been something completely different. I would shut the fuel off every time you stop using it. If it does not start when you go to re-use it (after turning the fuel back on) you'll know it's something else.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:27 am

I always shut the fuel off when parking it and the fuel was shut off for the ride down there and back.

I've been wanting to do a rebuild on the carb for a few months anyway, so will probably move it up on the "to do" list.

Thanks for the input.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: STUMPED: Flooded/Hard Starting

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 am

Last week, I started my '47 like usual, started quick. Drove it out to the back yard and connected a huge pallet to it and dragged it to the barn to cut up. While there idling, the tractor died. The gas valve was on, so I know it was getting gas to the carb. I tried re-starting, but it flooded out (just like at the Chilhowee Tractor Show). I removed the carb, took it apart and cleaned it. Put it back on; still flooded. Left it set for a few hours; nothing.

Then I received a new complete carb rebuild kit from Steiner's on Friday. Finished that yesterday, re-installed the carb tested the fuel bowl level with the tubing making sure it's 9/16"-5/8" below the gasket surface. Cranked on it and it acted like nothing was any different. :x Gas literally poured out of the weep hole after each starting cycle.

Went around to the magneto and noticed #3 wire was not fully seated in the rotor cap.
ScottyD'sdad wrote:Something loose, electrically? Coil or distributor wiring. Would suck in fuel, if not firing, flooding it. Vibration, going back home wiggling the connection enough, to reconnect? Intermittent problems, can drive a saint, to drink and cuss! Ed

Would an electrical issue (i.e. bad or no connection) cause the carb to flood out like this?

What other suggestions do you have? I need help.

Thanks!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:04 am

My guess is It's not exactly that it's an electrical problem causing the flooding, but it is an indirect result. While you are cranking the engine, the carb will continue to pull the fuel even though it isn't starting. Since it is not firing due to the wire being off, the fuel has nowhere to go but out the carb.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 am

Barnyard wrote:My guess is It's not exactly that it's an electrical problem causing the flooding, but it is an indirect result. While you are cranking the engine, the carb will continue to pull the fuel even though it isn't starting. Since it is not firing due to the wire being off, the fuel has nowhere to go but out the carb.

That makes sense. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong end of the horse. :) I'll start doing a wiring check this week; test for continuity and connections.

What about points and condenser? It always (well, use to always) start up right quick, so I never have replaced the points or condenser from when I got it two years ago.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

MainelyCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04450
Tractors Owned: 1958 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
Ford 1720

Postby MainelyCubs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:15 am

I had a problem like that a few weeks ago and I played with the carb for a few days. Come to find out it was electrical. Are you sure that you are getting spark. Maybe check the coil. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find. :D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 am

Stanton,

Next step - Check for spark at the plugs. Don't undo a lot of things before you check that.

Ike

Return to “Farmall Cub”