This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just brought home my Grandpa's Cub

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
CharliesCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31029

Just brought home my Grandpa's Cub

Postby CharliesCub » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi, my name is Galen and I live in Forsyth, Georgia. I just brought home my grandfathers one pride and joy possession, his Farmall Cub. We went up to Wilmington, NC to haul it back and she thankfully made it home safe and sound. I have it in my old dairy barn as my new work shed :D

From what I can gather it is a 1949 Farmall Cub LoBoy, I believe. I know absolutely nothing about this tractor. I used to ride with him all the time when I was a little kid but it's been probably 15 years since I've seen it (I'm 25 now). Can yall please break this down for me? As far as I know my cousin said the motor will turn over, I need to get a battery for it, so that's good news. I hope yall can be of help to me. Can yall give me some more information on this? And the approximate cost of restoration? I'd like to do shows with it and possibly make myself a garden. And btw, my name came from my grandpa, who's name was Charles incase you were wondering.

Here she is in all her glory, before her trip back to Georgia..her new home. I've got a long ways to go.

we wanted to make sure she didn't fly off, can you tell?

another good look at her

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tomcat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71836
Tractors Owned: 49 cub buttercup
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just brought home my Grandpa's Cub

Postby tomcat » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:56 pm

welcome to forum. and congrats on your grandpa's cub. you will find lots of info here. tomcat

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Welcome to forum! Lots of information here, and lots of very knowledgable folks that will offer you as much assistance as you need. From the pictures, it looks to be a regular Farmall cub, not a loboy. Good luck with getting it restored!

You are approximately 4 hours from me. I would like to invite you to Deep South CubFest in February. There will be lots of pros here that can help you get it going, if you need the help. We welcome you to come even if you do not bring the cub and get to know some of the finest people in the world, cub folks! :lol:

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:25 pm

What is the serial number? That will help determine the year for sure. Did it have a battery in it? If so get one the same voltage to make it easier to get it going and not lead to additional problems such as burning out the light bulbs. when you go to start it. From the picture it looks to me as if you have a distributor and not a magneto. A magneto doesn't need the battery to run just like a lawn mower or a chain saw. With a distributor you run with the electricity supplied from the battery.
I would
1. clean the fuel sediment bowl and screen
2. put in gas with the shut off at the bowl closed ( turn clockwise)
3.I would remove the main jet (the brass hex shape on the side of the carburetor bowl) and poke it out with a soft copper wire such as telephone inside wire and blow it out with compressed air if available.
4. with the jet out I would open the fuel valve at the sediment bowl If it flows freely I would turn it off and replace the jet.
5. I would use a fine Jewelers file to clean the points and the reset the gap.
6. next wipe clean the interior and exterior of the distributor cap pull the choke and pull the starter and give it a go.
You might get lucky and will hear music to your ears.
If this doesn't do it come back to us and some one will give you furtwer guidance. It is tough to give direction when you have no idea of ones knowledge. If you know engines I pray my directions are not offencive and if you have no knowledge I pray they are detailed enough
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:02 pm

The oil pump will need to be primed before you start it. Do a quick search, and the instructions for priming should show up in multiple posts.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Welcome to the forum!!
You've found a great place for all things Cub!! If you can make in down to MrE's Cubfest in Feb, it won't be a wasted trip!! It really is a great time and you'll get plenty of hands on with these tractors, even if you can't bring yours there will be plenty of others down there will all kinds of maintenance going on. Click on the link in his signature line for info.

Yours appears to be in the '47-'49 range with the long ear dash. It also appears to have a magneto on it, which means you won't need a battery to start it. It can be hand cranked or pull started to get her going. Before you try to start it though, I'd follow Bills and Ricks advice with the fuel and oil. Make sure the engine turns over read nice with no 'stiff' spots before you try to start it. Start a post in the main forum with a few more pics and some preliminary checks you have done and we can give you better advice as where to go from there.

Congrats and have fun!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:Welcome to the forum!!
You've found a great place for all things Cub!! If you can make in down to MrE's Cubfest in Feb, it won't be a wasted trip!! It really is a great time and you'll get plenty of hands on with these tractors, even if you can't bring yours there will be plenty of others down there will all kinds of maintenance going on. Click on the link in his signature line for info.

Yours appears to be in the '47-'49 range with the long ear dash. It also appears to have a magneto on it, which means you won't need a battery to start it. It can be hand cranked or pull started to get her going. Before you try to start it though, I'd follow Bills and Ricks advice with the fuel and oil. Make sure the engine turns over read nice with no 'stiff' spots before you try to start it. Start a post in the main forum with a few more pics and some preliminary checks you have done and we can give you better advice as where to go from there.

Congrats and have fun!!

Just so you know, Raymond is one of the co-hosts for our CubFest. Also a very knowledgeable mechanic on all things cub. :{_}: :{_}:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:17 pm

CharliesCub wrote:Hi, my name is Galen and I live in Forsyth, Georgia. I just brought home my grandfathers one pride and joy possession, his Farmall Cub.

Galen:

G'day and congrats :applause: on becoming the Keeper of your GrandFather's Cub :D It is really cool to be able to care for a family heirloom like that.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Suggest you follow the links mentioned above as there really is a lot of information/resources here for our members.

To clarify:

CharliesCub wrote:From what I can gather it is a 1949 Farmall Cub LoBoy, I believe. I know absolutely nothing about this tractor.

Well as your pictures confirm you are the proud Keeper of a 1949 Farmall Cub which is different from a International Lo-Boy. You might want to spend some time getting familiar with your 49 Cub via the McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49, (just click the link and it will take you to the Manual on the Server) before you get into the Cub itself much. You can see the difference between a Farmall Cub and an International Cub Lo-Boy if you have a look at the Cub FAQ's #1 - Para 13 - Serial Number List on ATIS.

Restoring Charlie might take you a while especially if you are going to do it yourself. You will have to decide if you want a ground up restoration or a refurbish. What it will cost will depend on exactly what you want to do. Suggest you get to a CubFest such as the DSCF as Roy mentioned. It will be an eye opener for sure and I guarantee it, it will be a lot of fun. Check out the CubFest and Gatherings Calendar 2012 for event dates.

Have fun with your GrandFather's Cub :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CharliesCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CharliesCub » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 am

I will definitely plan on bring Charlie down for the Cubfest in Florida coming up in February. Only question is my dad has a single axle 6x12 trailer with a wood deck. Is that heavy enough of a trailer to safely transport the tractor? Or is a double axle trailer going to be something I'm going to need to invest in? I'd like to get her in show quality if possible, I know my grandfather would be proud to see her in that condition.

And I'm moderately mechanically inclined but not very much. Thankfully I have friends who are, and I believe there is a tractor shop that specializes in these nearby that I plan on looking into tomorrow.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 am

congratulations on getting your Grandpa's cub, that will always be special to you. I have Dad's Farmall H, but failed to get my Grandfathers F12 that I wanted badly, he was getting up in years and sold it to a traveling junk dealer forgetting I wanted it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 am

I hauled a Cub from NY to Ohio and back with the same size trailer. It had no brakes so I was really careful to watch out for the other guy. You know the ones who do stupid things just to see how fast they can make you stop. I had the trailer for about 4 years before I broke down and purchased a dual axle that would hold 2 Cubs plus toys. Look forward to meeting you in February.

CharliesCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CharliesCub » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Ehh yeah that'd be questionable. I'll be pulling it with my ranger (4.0). I'll definitely take it easy with it. But yes I'll definitely be down there in February, and I will definitely be bringing Charlie with me.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Remove the cultivator frames before you load up for the trip to get as much weight off the trailer as you can. Every little bit will help! Use cation and care and we'll see you in Feb!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm

I hesitated about saying this but the front end is the weakest part of a cub. I was concerned with the front wheel tie downs shown in your pictures. Tie down to the frame will be easier on the tractor. IMHO
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

CharliesCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CharliesCub » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Oh okay, that's a good thing to know. Any idea of the cost of doing a complete restoration?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”