decal question

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:20 pm

For a 1946 "A" would "McCormick - Deering" over Farmall be correct as a hood decal or would "McCormick" over Farmall with the square "IH" decal be right?
I've seen so many restored with every year from '39-'47 sporting either decal set. I know it was what the owner wanted but what did a '46 roll out of Chicago with? Are there any good reference guides for decal placement and other points for this tractor?
Mike.

Re: decal question

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I believe it was mid year 49 when they dropped the Deering from the cub decals. I would guess that would be the same for the other models as well. If anyone can shed light on this it is Jim Becker.

Re: decal question

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:For a 1946 "A" would "McCormick - Deering" over Farmall be correct as a hood decal or would "McCormick" over Farmall with the square "IH" decal be right?
I've seen so many restored with every year from '39-'47 sporting either decal set. I know it was what the owner wanted but what did a '46 roll out of Chicago with? Are there any good reference guides for decal placement and other points for this tractor?
Mike.


Guy Fay's Farmall Letter Series Originality Guide has good info on decals. In 1946 it would have definately had McCormick-Deering Farmall on the hood, and most likely did NOT have the red/white/black IH emblem.

Al

Re: decal question

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:25 pm

The hood sheet would have definitely said McCormick-Deering Farmall. What isn't clear is whether the IH emblem would have been there yet. That logo was adopted some time in '44 or '45 but I have not seen any decision on adding it to the hood sheets. It had been done by the time Cubs came along in early '47.

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:28 pm

This is good news as I see it. In my head the McCormick - Deering decals make it that much more of an early piece.
Thank you with your help with this. Al thanks I'll be looking for that guide on amazon.
:thumbsup:
Mike.

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Holy mackerel!
I looked the guide up on amazon.com. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I first thought it had to be a typo. Apparently its not. :roll:
I'm sure its a great book but wow! You'd think it was a guide to finding the Holy Grail.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Cripes! Wish I had a couple to sell!

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Some of these copies cost more than my last tractor! :roll: :oops:

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

I bought that book from TSC for less than half the "used" price quoted there. I have it here in Florida if you want to borrow it you can pick it up Monday along with the other stuff.

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:Holy mackerel!
I looked the guide up on amazon.com. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I first thought it had to be a typo. Apparently its not. :roll:
I'm sure its a great book but wow! You'd think it was a guide to finding the Holy Grail.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

:shock: :shock: Wow, I'm too cheap to pay anything like that! I think I paid the printed price in the book ($24.95+shipping) from Amazon. It's probably been 10 years ago when there were alot of new copies available. Should have bought 3 or 4. :lol:

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:44 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:I bought that book from TSC for less than half the "used" price quoted there. I have it here in Florida if you want to borrow it you can pick it up Monday along with the other stuff.

I have to hit TSC for feed before I head south. You know I'll be on the lookout for that book!
Maybe I'll buy two and pass one along here.
Mike.

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Those prices are just insane. A couple years ago I was wanting a copy of Spencer Yost's engine overhaul book. Same sort of prices at amazon and everywhere else online. Found one that summer, brand new, at the SE Old Thresher's Reunion for less than the original cover price.

There has to be some new copies out there. Next time I am at Tractor Supply I will look. I would be tempted to contact Guy and see if he has any packed away somewhere....

Al

Re: decal question

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:02 pm

the tractor supply closest to me has not had a book section for well over a year. they used to have a large selection of tractor books, now only hobby farming and horse books and magazines. all the cool stuff is gone.


Russ

Re: decal question

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Figured I'd reconnect with this thread.
Having picked up the letter series book by Guy Fay at a realistic price I found more out on this.
As far as concerned for the "A" series tractor, Farmall actually made the switch from the McCormick-Deering Farmall decal to the IH McCormick Farmall decal mid year of 1946!
So...either decal could be correct for my tractor. I'm leaning towards the earlier decal.
Oh and I have to agree that that book is well worth having.
Mike.

Re: decal question

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Mid year '46? You probably picked up the addition of the "IH" to the decal, not the drop of "Deering."