Any of you that saw the Intro post by Jeff Mason (jlmason1981) are aware that he and I have been kicking around the idea of doing some type of Cubfest at the East Texas Tractor Show in Canton. This show is scheduled for April 6 and 7 on some of the grounds used by the huge First Monday Trade Days (not at the same time). Virtually all the displays are inside the pavilions. The only exceptions are some of the operating displays, steel wheel tractors and part of the flea market area. Canton is on I-20 about 60 miles east of Dallas and about 130 west of Shreveport, LA. If you want to take a look at the grounds, stick
into google maps and click to the satellite view. The two buildings just south of the green arrow are where the 350 covered display spaces are.
Some advantages I see to doing a Cubfest there:
- Space is essentially unlimited.
- Somebody else is already taking care of parking, rest rooms, other basic facilities.
- Food vendors on site reduces/eliminates need to plan most meals.
- Lots of room for RVs (hookups available for a fee).
- More than adequate motel availability.
- No full shop available, eliminates big projects like clutch replacement etc.
- There probably is no place available for plowing or other "earth turning" activities (need to check that).
- Anyone that doesn't bring an exhibit has to pay admission. However the admission is less than we each usually throw in the hat to cover the porta-cans at a Cubfest.
- Being among other people removes some of the "intimacy" of a typical Cubfest.
So, here are my questions:
- Anyone wish to give comments or suggestions regarding a Cubfest at a show? ConnectiCubFest comes close to the same situation, participants in it have any insight?
- Who thinks they are likely to attend, given the date, location and type of show?