This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

BAD BAD DAY

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

BAD BAD DAY

Postby Bruce Sanford » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:39 pm

Put the mower decks on the 108 and 102 yesterday.Sharpened the blades,used the greece gun on them. I took the 108 out first,mowed for about twenty minutes.Thud,the small blade tore a piece right out of the deck.OK,then I took the 102 out.Mowed for about an hour. I heard a very loud clatter from the engine,OH! NO :shock: :?: .Lifted the hood,seen smoke and felt a lot of heat. This motor has about ten hours on after a rebuild.I will remove it next week.Any ideas before I take it to the experts.I really do not know a lot about these engines.Had to finish up with the old tractor I have been using for the last ten years. I should have stayed in bed LOL. :( :( Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:00 pm

Loud clatter, saw a lot of smoke and felt a lot of heat doesn't give a lot to go on. Even though the engine doesn't have much time on it, how long has the tractor been setting and where? The first thing I think of from "smoke and heat" is the cooling fins on the block are clogged up, from grass clipping, mice, or other little varmit nest, etc. They will build nest in the flywheel/blower housing and then when you start it it will pack the cooling fins on the block and head, under the sheet metal covers, full of debris, and the engine will over heat pretty quick. Clatter could have been something in the nest if there was one, or it could be the tractor or PTO clutch, or something internal of the engine. Won't know till you start looking.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Paul

I never thought about varmits.It was kept in my garage all winter,and I started it upand ran it for awhile every couple months.The engine will still turn over,but will not start.I will pull the plug and check for compression tomorrow. Thanks for your prompt reply. 8) :) Bruce

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:43 am

Hey Bruce...As Paul says...Make sure your engine cooling fins are clean and free of anything that may block them :wink: . Remove your engine sheet metal covers and blow out anything clogging the fins :wink: . It's too bad, but it sounds as if your mower blades weren't tightened down well :oops: ? Sometimes the HARD lessions we learn STAY with us the LONGEST! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:28 am

Bruce:

Sorry to hear of your troubles :( Sounds a little familiar to me though :roll:

One good thing nothin serious happened, just a little more shop time is all. Next to seat and show time, shop has to be right up there :!: :idea: :wink: :lol:

Keep us posted, Let us hope Paul is bang on the money and it is something minor such as dirt causing it to over heat. On the deck - a little patching might be in order - at least you know the blade was sharp :roll: :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:36 pm

I think your engine may have a compression release valve and unless you spin it up to a certain RPM you are not going to be able to check compression. Fellas, if I am wrong let me know.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:16 pm

Update on Bad Day

Picked the engine today.Not a pretty sight. Connecting rod assembly in three pieces, broken piston,scord cylinder wall, scord crank, broken oil splasher,even broke the dip stick. I suspect the crank caused the problem.It was boderline.So I guess I will looking for another engine,they are pretty scarce in my area.May have to visit relatives in Maine come the fall of the year. I learned one lesson DO NOT go border line on parts.
8) :x :cry: Bruce

Return to “Cub Cadet”