This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C3 mower modification for better functionality

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23231
Tractors Owned: 1958,59',48' and 49' Farmall Cubs
Circle of Safety: Y

C3 mower modification for better functionality

Postby Dualing Cubs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 pm

A while back my Father and I had purchased a International C-3 mower. We got it for a good price and it was listed as restored like new. It sure looked new and the 90 degree pulley is basically new but there are a few things on it that were over looked or "hidden" when we purchased it. It had cracks in four spots close to the middle of the deck on the front and back which were painted over and when we transported it home the cracks showed up and we are just now getting around to working on it. It's a 5' deck and with 3 blades, a heavy S.O.B. So it seems that this mower came from the factory with a flaw. The unsupported deck. This set up was fully complete and came with the support metal or skirting that seems to be used as extra support as well as debris guards. Well after drilling holes to stop the cracks then cutting the cracks out and welding both sides then grinding the top side to match original I wasn't going to see this problem occur again, so here is a few photos of what I'm doing or have started to do.

I have used channel with half inch legs on it to support the rear and the front of the mower. The front ones are not on in this photo yet. I drilled holes in the channel to match the existing for the skirts and bolted the channel up and then stitch welded it to the deck I will then flip it over and stitch weld the bottom side onto the deck in a alternating stitch pattern. This will give maximum rigidity to the deck and save it from being destroyed over the long haul. In order to place the skirting on a flat surface I am cutting little blocks to fit inside the channels web that have holes drilled in them, to use them as spacers.I can then place the skirting back on. I am also interested in buying the mulching attachments for the mower if anyone has any idea where to get those, otherwise I will have to fabricate them from the photos in the manual.

Here are the photos with the listing from when we bought the mower:

Dad and I are setting up this mower on the 58' for the spring and we purchased it because of it's ease of use with the fast hitch. One thing I need to figure out is, how do I use the fast hitch without lowering and raising the mower. I believe that I discussed this with a few of you before and there is some sort of hold up pin for the fast hitch or something. I am thinking that with a bracket that I fabricate bolted on the side of the tractor I can hang the mower high on that while plowing or anything else with the fast hitch. Ideas?

Anyways I will post more photos and better quality photos when as the job goes on.

Thanks,

Josh
Josh ..

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: C3 mower modification for better functionality

Postby Dualing Cubs » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:53 am

Looks like Monday I will cut and drill all the spacers and weld then in after I get my argon/co2 tank filled and then Finish the job. Can't wait to get this on the tractor and try it out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Josh ..

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dualing Cubs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Finally finished the modification and painted the deck. I chose to brush paint it to get thicker coats of paint on it. I am making the spacers for the guards to be put back on. I plan on making a set of mulching sides to put on the deck as well. I believe I will make the mulching sides out of 12 gauge stainless to avoid any rust or need for painting.

Soon this will be hooked up to the 58' and used. Can anyone tell me where to get or how to make the fast hitch hold up pin?

Thanks

Josh

Josh ..

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2014.jpg The piece on the left is what you are looking for. I can measure one and give you dimensions tomorrow if someone doesn't post a drawing sooner.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dualing Cubs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/MR-5%20-%20Mowers/Cub-22%20Mower/Page%2014.jpg The piece on the left is what you are looking for. I can measure one and give you dimensions tomorrow if someone doesn't post a drawing sooner.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I tried finding that part number a few months back, from anywhere, for sale but had no luck. I tried buying it the same time I bought new fast hitch parts. I had read a thread a few months back and that is how I came to know about it. I still don't know exactly how it works, what it hooks to and such but I am hoping you guys can guide me through it. I bought the C3 to use with the fast hitch but I want to make sure I can keep the fast hitch up when I am moving the mower up and down. I would love to buy one if anyone has one for sale but I can make one off you deminsions hopefully. What other parts, if any, would I need to make it function properly?

I really appreciate the help. I haven't been on here in awhile and the tractors have only been sitting and plowing and pulling trees so I need to get back in gear on all these other projects and get my head wrapped back around them. Bear with me please :D I am also going to post a lot better quality photos of this project and a little more detailed so if anyone else wants to fix their C3 deck they can see it with ease.

Josh
Josh ..

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Nice job Josh. I made a bunch of those brkts a few years ago. They weren't too bad to make. I bent all mine with a bender, but the torch would get the job done too. If you plan to make them just like factory, the correct length serves a dual purpose. It's 1) designed to hold up the fast hitch or 2) can be used as a lock mechanism for the fashhitch latch. If you don't need the lock purpose you can make it fairly fast because the length isn't that critical. It's made from 5/8 roundstock and has a hole crossdrilled at the end so it stays fastened to the fasthitch mainframe.

fasthitch main.jpg

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dualing Cubs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks Rick. I have the ability to bend on a brake press or an iron worker. I would like to make it just like factory to serve the dual purpose. Thanks for explaining that too me. I also have the 5/8" round in stock at the shop. The bottom photo you posted, is that being used in the lock position? Where is it placed to "Hold up" the fast hitch? I don't know why I can't visualize it in my head how the fast hitch is made stationary from moving while using the hydraulics on another impliment. When I finally realize how this works I am going to make a video because that would be so helpful to me to see a video right now.

I just called JP Implements and they are searching their stock to see if they have one. it's always easier to have the part in front of you when remanufacturing it.
Josh ..

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Josh, here's an old post with some detailed pics of different things. Make sure you scroll down about halfway and study the pic of the lock collar on the t/c rod you'll need to loosen to deactivate the lifting of the rear hitch setup once you have it hanging from your new hook. By doing so, you raise the fast hitch, use your new hook to position the fasthitch in the up position, loosen the lock collar and then the hitch will stay motionless while you lift the mower up and down. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60272&p=495724&hilit=fast+hitch+lock#p495724

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Those will work for holding just the fast hitch with no implement . The original factory latch is made of high carbon high strenght steel and will hold with whatever implement attached. I made a latch for my fasthitch a while back but when I had my roleover plow on the hitch it wouldnt hold. the latch straightened under the load. I found a N.O.S latch soon after. It holds the load with no problem.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 pm

factory latch is made of high carbon high strenght steel
They may have tempered it after the tight bends made, but I'd still like to see proof of what you say. Plus, if you just are holding up a fasthitch to use your mower deck, I can't imagine why you'd want to lug an implement around taking a chance of banging into something making turns.

Rick

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dualing Cubs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks again for the information I will study it after work today. I can always heat treat the pins after I make them to give them more strength. Or I could use high carbon rail road spikes to forge the pin on the anvil but I don't think I'll go to the trouble of that. I do not plan on holding up the fast hitch with an impliment. I always thought the fast hitches purpose was to attach implements with greater ease and quickly. The only thing I might do it use the fast hitch to hold up a bag with a frame and a reversed leaf blower to catch the clippings when I put the mulching sides on the c3 but that is just an idea and I don't really need it.

Can't wait to get back into working on the tractors!

Josh ..

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dualing Cubs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:Josh, here's an old post with some detailed pics of different things. Make sure you scroll down about halfway and study the pic of the lock collar on the t/c rod you'll need to loosen to deactivate the lifting of the rear hitch setup once you have it hanging from your new hook. By doing so, you raise the fast hitch, use your new hook to position the fasthitch in the up position, loosen the lock collar and then the hitch will stay motionless while you lift the mower up and down. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60272&p=495724&hilit=fast+hitch+lock#p495724

Rick

That was the thread I saw months ago but couldn't find it again for some reason. Thanks! Also I read what you just posted again and I think Its finally clicked in my head. The lock coller is what locked the bar to "dual rock shaft" and by loosening it the bar just moves in and out without moving the hitch, correct?
Josh ..

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Yep :D

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dualing Cubs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:24 am

I see on the parts sheet that it has some numbers, which look to me to be some sort of measurements. 3/16 1-1/8
Do these mean anything? Now that I finally see how it all works I could make one without measurements but it's always nicer to have all the information up front :)

Thanks a bunch!
Josh ..

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:11 am

They're saying it's a 3/16dia by 1-1/8 long cotter pin. You'll make the rod's hard 90 at the fasthitch frame long enough to extend all the way through the frame and then enough extra to drill that crosshole in the rod for the cotter. The cotter assures the rod doesn't vibrate out and you run over it next trip around mowing :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”