This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Cub from Argentina (Clutch info needed)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
nicolascub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 5889
Skype Name: nicolashayes
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub

The Cub from Argentina (Clutch info needed)

Postby nicolascub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 pm

I would like start to share pictures and questions about the restoration of my 1952 Farmall Cub.
I have an issue with the pto shaft, the pto was very worn so i take it to a person who fill the pto with metal and shape it to look like a new one, but the guy didn't realize to leave a little gap where the bearing retainer goes, can somebody give my the measures of the pto? i need to know how wide is the pto where the bearing goes and where the retainer goes, and the length from one point to the bearing retainer gap.
Thank you very much!
Tomorrow morning i will upload pictures an a video of the engine running! :lost: :help:
Last edited by nicolascub on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub restoration from Argentina

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm

I believe if the lip that the bearing seats up against is still in place, you can measure the width of the bearing to determine where the retainer groove should be to hold the bearing in place. Does this make sense?
(photo courtesy of Ole Corky)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 am

There is a drawing in the operator's manual with the dimensions of the spline, if that will help??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

nicolascub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nicolascub » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:56 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:I believe if the lip that the bearing seats up against is still in place, you can measure the width of the bearing to determine where the retainer groove should be to hold the bearing in place. Does this make sense?
(photo courtesy of Ole Corky)

Thank you Raymond, i disassemble the pto and found that the lip where the bearing seats is actually the original place i guess, i just will have to make a new groove against the bearing so it won't move again.
Do you know if i can install the pto with the shifter clutch installed on the pto? because is not easy to do it to engage the shifter lever on the groove of the clutch.
Thank again.

nicolascub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nicolascub » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:There is a drawing in the operator's manual with the dimensions of the spline, if that will help??

Buzzard just in case if you have the manual in your computer i would like to have the file, i can't open the manual on Rudi's website, the link of many pictures is broke.
Thank you!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:31 pm

nicolascub wrote:
Do you know if i can install the pto with the shifter clutch installed on the pto? because is not easy to do it to engage the shifter lever on the groove of the clutch.

Yes it will fit back in complete.
Remove the oil fill plug on top the trans and with a light you can see down through the hole to this area where the clutch fits the lever groove....
Removing the little pto lever guard on top of the trans will allow you more movement for the work area inside.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Here is a step by step "How To" with photos: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=32935

When positioning the PTO assembly up to the back of the transmission, make sure that the shaft engages the pilot Bushing on the back of the transmission shaft while the PTP lever engages the groove on the shift collar. It's a bit tricky, but as Yogie mentioned, remove the fill plug to help you see what's going on inside.

nicolascub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nicolascub » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Here are some pictures of how look the place where i am starting the slow process of put all the pieces together, is not easy but is very nice job to do.
I had already rebuild the engine in a shop, all the parts i brought them from USA (piston, rings, new crankshaft, valves, gasket) and many other parts to (lights, rods, ignition tune up kit, exhaust, etc..)
There are only a few Cub's in Argentina. The engine runs really good I'm uploading a video to youtube.com to show you guys.
i am struggling to get some tires to the tractor, so far i couldn't find tires, there is no any in Arg.

New engine waiting to run, i will assemble the engine with some other parts and paint all together!

Most of the parts are already painted, this look like a puzzle jaja.
Last edited by nicolascub on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Looks good! Looking forward to the video!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:44 pm

p-u,,,I love the old ford p-u's.Tires ,,get them shipped from US??? Might be costly though...Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:34 am

Tucker Tire in Dyersburg, TN EXPORTS tires. http://www.tuckertire.com GREAT folks to deal with and very reasonable prices on their tires and tire tubes :wink: ...'Country'
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

nicolascub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nicolascub » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:24 am

Here is the video, i forgot to take off the cover of my camera, is an acuatic camera so at 2:30 seconds the sound is better because i take it off.
Is impossible to import tires to Argentina, right now with our president is a law to substitute all the importation's, we can not even buy tires for the tractors that we use to plant.

http://youtu.be/UD88rPDmCeQ
Last edited by nicolascub on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 am

Very Nice Video Nicola :wink: Your L60 Cub engine runs very well and very smooth. Now if you can just get tires somehow in Argentina...you'll be GOOD TO GO :D ...'Country'
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:34 pm

You can order a new shaft from TM tractor who is a sponser of this site. $68.00. This is available if you get tried of fooling with the old one.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't mean to sound like the safety police or a nervous ninny, but this is not a good way to run an engine for several reasons. I know that you are happy to have the engine back from a rebuild, and it does sound good, but bad things can happen quick under the conditions in the video.
It is perfectly ok to run an engine off the tractor, but it needs to be secured in some manner, preferably on an engine stand. One miss to throw it off balance and the engine will fall off the table on the floor. I know the engine wasn't run for very long, but fresh cool water needs to be supplied. Connect the lower water inlet to a faucet and water hose, and turn the water on just enough so that it has at least a trickle out the upper water outlet. The carb appears new, and the throttle shaft felt is probably tight against the shaft, but without it connected to the governor, a runaway throttle can happen as the butterfly can quickly open to full by itself before you can get your hand on it to stop it. I've had it happen to me while I was on the other side of the engine. Luckily I was able to quickly hit the ignition switch before something bad happened!
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just don't want to see your hard work ruined. Keep us posted on your progress, and if there is anything we can do to help, please let us know! :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”