This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Snow yet???

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

No Snow yet???

Postby BigBill » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I got my int154 with the plow ready and even fixed my 4x4 jeep tractor. I think i scared the snow away.

As soon as i get some warmer days i may start on my int154 to install the new clutch right away. I figure two or three days should do it. They say to move the engine forward by sliding it in the frame.
Its a late 60's int154 with the pto pulley on the driveshaft not on the flywheel. Whatcha think?? Easy quick job or not?

I may start on it now while its still cold. The jeep tractor will handle any snow if we get it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: No Snow yet???

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Hey Bill, do you have any pics of this Jeep tractor of yours? I worked at Jeep Corp for 30 years and I'm curious why you call it that.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:56 am

No snow yet in SC!
I have not changed the clutch on that style 154. On the later styles it takes 30 minutes to remove and 30 minutes to reinstall.
See a jeep tractor at the show in Denton, NC each year. Looks to be useful. Can't be many around anymore.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 am

Rick, I googled Jeep tractor and there are several sites: Image

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Gee, maybe I should mount one of my 3 point hitches on the back of my Dakota and have a dakota tractor :{_}:
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Hey Rick, this was in the tractor show at our local Strawberry Fest a couple years back.

Dual wheels, three point hitch and a belt pulley.

Maybe I'll find something rare to enter one of these day.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Sorry guys-----------------it's just me getting wound up over loose terminology. When I think of an official "tractor" and when I look up the definition on several dictionarys, that Jeep with some add-ons is still just a Jeep to me used in a tractor setting. Same vehicles that I owned several of, just worded differently to capture some sales in the farming world and just equiped with some normal real "tractor" parts.

OK, I'm off my soap :sick:

Rick

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:38 pm

That's okay Rick, you are free to offer your opinion. I see this as Jeeps way of offering their product to others. Similar to IH's offering the Cub as a farm/industrial vehicle. :)
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:Hey Bill, do you have any pics of this Jeep tractor of yours? I worked at Jeep Corp for 30 years and I'm curious why you call it that.

Rick

About 25 years ago i went looking for a snowblower and i came home with a 55 cj5 jeep tractor with a 4way plow for $400. About 15 years ago the frame rusted out and split. I had a 73 cj5 v8 frame that i boxed with 3/8'' plate steel. Its a bare frame with a seat and a 4 way plow. I installed two loc rites in the diff's so i have a full four whell drive. I fabricated a mini 2 1/2 ton army truck front bumper with the new plow setup its all 3/8'' thick steel. I also fab'd a rock dump body for the rear which i haven't finished yet. Its still my jeep tractor what else could i call it. There's no body on it just a seat. Its much better than any tractor or quad that i have owned so far. I have pulled suv's up steep hills off road on icey frozen ground. My jeep tractor seems to be everyones go to vechicle when there stuck. I named my jeep tractor christine like the movie because she sits all summer and starts up every fall to push snow all winter. The engine is the orginal 1955 134 f head. I worked for amc jeep in the 70's as a mechanic and i never knew the jeeps were this good. When the sheetmetal bodies rust off the frames and drive train make great tractors. Unless you wanta zamboni???

I still like my tractors too. I really wanted to replace my quad that always broke down and cost me lots of $$ to purchase. I needed something more heavy duty and the jeep cj5 was it.
Plus i needed something slower too the quad was a lot of breakage on my body too.
Before my jeep tractor it was a 80's CJ7 with a 304v8 4 speed and i installed 4:27:1 gears with posi's but she never liked passing gas stations. But throw on the bikini top and get off road and have fun.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:43 pm

The Jeep "tractor" was probably a way to help move surplus war production vehicles and keep the company profitable. Just like the Soviets took the guns off tanks and put bulldozer blades on. Jeep definatly had the better idea.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Yep, I agree and can see the selling concept. I guess the point I was talking about is this---- If you have a cub tractor and remove the fasthitch or remove the belt pulley setup and decide to sell the tractor----it's still a cub tractor, plain and simple. If you have the so-called Willys Jeep "tractor" and remove the 3 point or belt setup and decide to sell it-------------------you list it as a Willys Jeep. All the 30 years I worked there, it was always referred to as an off road multi purpose vehichle. The "tractor" addition vanished way before I started there. Like I said---it's not a big deal, I'm just used to real tractors having big back tires :{_}:

Rick

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Here's one for you Rick. A friend of mine had one just like this (may be the same one)

He also had one that was set up with a wrecker on the back and one of our Jeep club members had a trencher on his. I remember years ago, our paper carrier was a part owner of a farm and he used a Jeep to plow the fields.

It was pretty neat to see some of the attachments that were out there at one time. But like you said, take it all off and it's just a Jeep.

Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:44 pm

They actually tried to interduce the willys jeep as a tractor to the farm industry being it 4x4 (4 wheel drive). My jeep will go places my cubs won't like off camber situations off road. We didn't we cubs bringing out the wounded in ww2. Jeeps and Igor Sikorsky saved many lives.

I do plan on adding larger tires in the future too on my jeep tractor i been eyeing the 31'' 1550-15 tru power tires 4 of them with maybe duals on the rear.

Remember " its a jeep thing " was said first........

Don't worry all my tractors earn there keep too no primadonna's in my herd.

I had the chance a few years back to me Igor Sikorsky II (lawyer) and have him repusent me and he is an interesting guy. I asked him if he knew how many lives his dad saved with his helicopters?

If i was younger and had the time i'd build a 3/4 ton tractor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:Yep, I agree and can see the selling concept. I guess the point I was talking about is this---- If you have a cub tractor and remove the fasthitch or remove the belt pulley setup and decide to sell the tractor----it's still a cub tractor, plain and simple. If you have the so-called Willys Jeep "tractor" and remove the 3 point or belt setup and decide to sell it-------------------you list it as a Willys Jeep. All the 30 years I worked there, it was always referred to as an off road multi purpose vehichle. The "tractor" addition vanished way before I started there. Like I said---it's not a big deal, I'm just used to real tractors having big back tires :{_}: I guess you never seen an old farmers doodle bug they once used to do work on the farms??? These old truck chassis were put to work as tractors too.

Rick

Come 'on Rick my jeep tractor is way more fun than a snowblower??? I been planning on building a house at my camp in the green mountains at my camp. Its dead in the snow belt between killington and sugarbush valley. It gets snow in feet not inches. My jeep tractor will be at home there.

I went to a trade school for auto mechanics. I did go into a machine shop and learned how to run machine tools too at one job. I did end up working at two american motors dealerships when i caught the head mechanic accepting tips for the cars i worked on. At this time the pay was very low at $4.00 an hour. I went to the biggest machine tool builder in the area and got into the machine shop there for $8.00 an hour right away. Around 1980 we were making $15 an hour and got a 3 year contract for $1 an hour raise for each year. This was good money back then. I never wanted to fix cars at a dealership again. At my last job in the engineering lab as a lead tech i was up to $30 an hour plus 50 sick days, 5 personal days and the week off between christmas & new years plus 5 weeks vacation and every holiday off too. This was 10 years ago that i retired.. I'd never get that at any dealership. I made the right moves. Plus working for world headquarters / north american operations and getting the white collar benifits i really lucked out in my retirement.

Rick you should build a 3/4 or 1 ton tractor using the older truck drive train.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”