This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas tank liner

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Gas tank liner

Postby DanR » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:34 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gas tank liner. I've got a rusty one.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Gas tank liner

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:46 am

Dan, I think the two most popular brands are Redkote and Por 15.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Dan:

RedKote is the only product I want in my tanks and I will not risk my health doing it. I send my tanks out to be cleaned and sealed by the pro's... they have the proper/safe equipment to do the job right.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bradm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46112
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
49' H
55' 300U
47' Oliver 70 Row Crop
Mott mower
cultivators
#8 2-14 Little Genius Plow

Postby bradm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Redkote is great. I used it in my H and I have had absolutely no issues.

Highly recommended

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:38 pm

RedKote does have some noxious vapors. POR 15, I don't know about.

I have used RedKote several times. Always outdoors and in warm weather with no ill effects. You will need a warm area or sunshine to cure RedKote after lining the tank. I let the tank set outdoors where the sun can heat up the tank and cure the lining. Give the tank a snif test after a couple of days. If there is a smell - let set another day or two - until there is no more product smell.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

Gas tank liner

Postby JoeKansas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

I did the redkote on my 300 Utility. The preparation is the hard part. Getting the tank out was hard. I used some sort of acid that I had accumulated at an auction to eat the rust flakes. It had no label, but the other stuff around it at the time led me to believe it may have something to do with cleaning concrete- so maybe muriatic.. I had dipped some rusty cast iron in it one time, and it ate that rust away and left the iron halfway bright. So, I sloshed a couple of cups of it around it that tank and gave it time to work, then dumped it out.

Then, I risned it out with water a couple of times. After that, like the redkote instructions say, I sloshed about a pint of acetone around in the tank to clean things further and to dispel the water. Dumped that out and poured the rest of the acetone in the tank and sloshed it around for a minute. Poured it out and let the tank set with the valve port downwards to ensure everything drained out.

THen, did poured in enough Redkote to coat the tank innards, sealed the filler neck, plugged the valve port with a pipe plug to protect the pipe threads, and rolled and rotated that tank for about 10 minutes to give that thick liquid a chance to coat every nook and cranny. THen I unplugged the valve port and drained the excess coating.
When I was done and satisfied, I ran a pipe tap up into the valve port to clean the redkote from the pipe threads, and it was finished.
Have had no rust problems since.....

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:52 pm

I was told that in time that coating junk will eat loose and plug your gas flow creating an even bigger problem!---I never took the chance,---I just replaced the tank with a known good one!
I have one temp tank that is a converted osha gas can and it became a perm. tank when I found it would work!--wont win trailer queen contest but engine runs! thanks; sonny

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:15 am

i used "Gas tank liner " from j.c.whitney over 5 years ago on my M . When I bought it was so bad abouut every 50 to 100 feet it would plug up the screen. No problems since that great day ;)
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

Postby JoeKansas » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:35 am

"that great day"~ no kidding!!!!

I used to have trouble with my 300u. Choke nearly all the way closed just to get it to run, then soon enough that wasn't enough.
Mainly cause of rust in the fuel line screen in the carb. Redkote to the rescue and nor more problems~ and that was about 2- 2½ years ago.
I wouldn't put much stock in the "was told that the coating junk will eat loose and...." warning. If you get that tank metal clean, it's gonna stick. That's where the acetone comes in- it cuts the petroleum deposits and give the redkote a good surface to adhere to.... What you don't want is to leave any excess liquid in any one corner or crevasse in the tank. The stuff doesn't set up solid when there is a puddle of it. A thin coat, yes, thick blob- no. If you leave a puddle, that's when you could get gas underneath the red skin and that could cause problems.
That's why you twist and turn and rotate your tank, to give every inch of the tank a coat of red, then upend it and let it drain for longggggg time- NO PUDDLES. It's not rocket science.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 am

This is what a Cub gas tank looks like 8 years after being cleaned and sealed with RedKote:

I think that really speaks for itself about flaking ... :roll: Course I had my tank done by a professional and all the rest of my tanks will be done by Maritime Radiator/Gas Tank Repair. Real pros :!:

Upgrading a Cub Fuel System
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”