This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall BN Cold weather shutters

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Farmall BN Cold weather shutters

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 am

I recently purchased cold weather shutters.
I would like to know if anyone has any photos of the unit and proper installation.
I need to straighten some areas. I believe some parts are missing
Thanks PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:08 am

Is your BN a dual fuel tractor? I though the only IH tractors that used the shutters were dual fuels (start on gasoline and run on distillate - kerosene). They were used to keep the engine temperature high under light loads or cool weather so the kerosene would vaporize properly.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:14 am

NO
But if I don't use them I at Least want to fix them and get them in proper working order. I was planning on istalling them anyway.
PWL
Last edited by Phillip W. Lenke on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:44 am

Phil,

Remind me next time you stop by and we'll check out the working shutters on Big Mike. Of course they will be different, but the controls may give you a hint. Their general layout is similar according to the parts manual.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:32 pm

OK
Thanks as alway George.

Phil

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:37 am

The shutter attachment was available for gasoline fueled tractors. The heat indicator gauge was part of the shutter attachment or was available separately. These items were included with the distillate and kerosene options.

The shutter assembly bolts to the front of the radiator using the same 4 bolts that hold the fan shroud. A curved rod runs from a lever on the left side of the shutter assembly around to the back of the radiator where it is attached to a block of metal. The block has a threaded hole, into which the control rod is screwed. Turning the control rod runs the block forward or back to adjust the shutters. The control rod is 2 pieces with a coupling in the middle and a small crank on the back end. It runs below the carb, behind the air cleaner. There are 2 brackets for the control rod. I believe the forward one is attached with the front generator bracket bolt. The rear one attaches to the rear fuel tank support. Both are oriented so the rod is ABOVE the attaching bolt. If your rear tank support is not already drilled, you need to drill one hole in it. It is 9/32, centered 5 3/8 up from the bottom of the support and 1/2 back from the front edge. The "OPEN" decal goes on the tank support in a fairly obvious location.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:44 am

Great info Jim Thanks
Phil
Looks like the only thing I have missing are the attachments for the rod

Return to “Farmall B & BN”