This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Last frost Date?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Last frost Date?

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:23 pm

When is your last frost date for your area? looks like ours is April 15 or so.
Right now our seed flat starting is in progress,---any of you start your own plants from seed? ---We are in South zone 5-North zone 6, (right near the split line from what I can tell)----and they say its time, so we are doing one flush of flats and will do more later ones to see which ones turn out the best.
Attempted to make a crude greenhouse from old windows and didnt have enough to do the whole thing so dont think that will be a now thing. thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Last frost Date?

Postby OliverFarmall » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 am

Frost Dates > Montrose, PA 18801
USDA Hardiness Zone: 5B
Last Frost Date (Spring 2012): 5/31
First Frost Date (Fall 2012): 9/15
Average Growing Season: >114 days

I've got a whole old chicken coop stuffed full of old windows to make a greenhouse with, but haven't gotten around to that project.
We started alot of tomatoes in flats last year and planted tomatoe seeds the same time we transplanted the flats , they all hit the same point of growth at one point and then reached mauturity at the same time. We aren't going to bother with flats and tomatoes after that experiment.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 am

We are "greening" up down here. I will be planting corn this week. :D We had a freeze about 3 weeks ago(24 degrees) but it just burned stuff a little bit. We only had about 2 cold spells this winter. Last year was to the other extreme. It was much colder than normal and at this time last year everything was still brown.
The dogwoods are blomming and I have seen some bees flying around. The new oak leaves are "as big as a squirrel's ear" and normally that means cold weather is over.

I am ready to garden. I have some new toys this year and cannot wait to play with them. I will post some pictures later.
"I ain't believing this!"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:10 am

We used to figure we were not frost free until early May in eastern Mo., but over the last few years the winters have been milder and ending sooner, but the springs have been staying cool and damp, so we still can't get anything growing much sooner. We seem to go through warming and cooling cycles every so often I remember when I was around 7 or 8 years old us having winters that were warm enough to play on front porch with only a light jacket most of the winter for 2 or 3 winters in a row, and when I was in my mid to late 20s, we had a few very cold and snowy winters. Now we are warm again and will soon swing the other way. The bad part about the mild winters is we usually have more insects, especially garden pest types.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm

I use the University of Missouri Extension guides for garden planting dates. Like John, last frost is sometime around first of May.

Spaded up a 4 foot by 4 foot garden plot behind the house yesterday. Ground is still to wet to do anything with other than turn it over. Larger garden plots will have to wait for another couple of week before I can use a tractor to turn over the soil.

Planning on putting in cool weather, early spring crops in another week or two; radish, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, peas, etc..

68 degrees high temperature today. Very nice for first of March.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:48 am

I always envious of you fellas down south who can begin to work the ground and plant in April. We usually have a last frost around the end of May...sometimes even early June. This isn't typical for zone 5..but at 2,000 elevation in zone 5 this is just the way it is.

I guess the trade-off is that we have almost no ticks.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:47 am

Tim, I'm glad you paid attention to my weather lore. That being said, don't get too impatient. I know the urge to plant is overwhelming. Just remember, the biggest snow we ever had came in March.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Here in the North, we are not out of the woods yet as to cold wet weather! thanks; sonny

krose
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12121

Postby krose » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am

next week in 50's, but you cant expect that to continue. might be able to put in cold weather things but not much else

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”