My First Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 1939 - 1954

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

My First Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Brought home this SA Thursday evening. So I will most likely be on this forum more with questions as they arise. This will make 3 Farmalls for me and I know very little about the SA. I will probally order a manual for this next week,but was wonderiy if you had any suggestions, I am considering Binder. I do have one question about excessive steering play, is there a way to adjust?

5Nb5F25Je3J33l13Hcc1t1920be3af28a1adc.jpg
5Nb5F25Je3J33l13Hcc1t1920be3af28a1adc.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 493 times
5I15W15Md3Kf3Mf3N3c1t1685f58b52d81bed.jpg
5I15W15Md3Kf3Mf3N3c1t1685f58b52d81bed.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 493 times


Its an early 48 with the Wico X mag,gonna need some work, missing some parts,but was able to get some front cultivator frames with it :D
"Work smarter; Not harder"
User avatar
Wakulla Bill
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Crawfordville, Fla
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Well you got weights front and back, that's good! Did you get any of the UMF for the front and rear rockshaft? You are gonna need those!
Steering play can be adjusted similar to the Cub, but the gear in the SA is only a half gear, not whole like the Cub so you can't rotate it.
User avatar
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: FL, Crestview
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Super A » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:42 pm

The steering play is usually a combination of worn woodruff keys in the steering gear box, "loose" tie rod ends, and worn bushings in the steering gear box. Other than the tie rods, there's no adjustment.

Grasp the top of the left-hand rear tire and try to rock it from side to side. Does the tire "wobble" inside the housing?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Location: NC, Jacksonville area
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 am

RaymondDurban wrote: Did you get any of the UMF for the front and rear rockshaft? You are gonna need those!


What is the UMF for fear of guessing?

Super A wrote:The steering play is usually a combination of worn woodruff keys in the steering gear box, "loose" tie rod ends, and worn bushings in the steering gear box. Other than the tie rods, there's no adjustment.

Grasp the top of the left-hand rear tire and try to rock it from side to side. Does the tire "wobble" inside the housing?

Al

Most all of the play is in the box,so I will get into that later. I will have to check the left rear wheel issue ang get back on that. What will this prove?

Thanks Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"
User avatar
Wakulla Bill
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Crawfordville, Fla
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:03 am

ctdnwakulla wrote:What is the UMF for fear of guessing? ...

Sorry, short for Universal Mounting Frame.
User avatar
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: FL, Crestview
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 am

I have it for the front but not the rear. I picked this one up not to far from your old stompin ground, Williston.
"Work smarter; Not harder"
User avatar
Wakulla Bill
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Crawfordville, Fla
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Mr E » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:47 am

Bill,
Congrats on the Super A. Bring it up next year and we'll go for a little Super A stroll around the dirt road track.

Course, you can drop plows in the ground if you wish. :lol: :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein


Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest
February 13 & 14, 2015
User avatar
Mr E
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:48 am
Location: FL, Sneads
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 am

ctdnwakulla wrote:... I picked this one up not to far from your old stompin ground, Williston.

Williston huh? They say all them tractors from Williston ain't no good. You should just drag it out by the shed and I'll haul it off for you next I pass by your way. :mrgreen:
User avatar
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: FL, Crestview
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Super A » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:14 am

ctdnwakulla wrote:Most all of the play is in the box,so I will get into that later. I will have to check the left rear wheel issue ang get back on that. What will this prove?

Thanks Bill


The left hand final will generally show more wear than the right hand. If the left wheel wiggles, It will tell you how much wear you have in the left final---usually worn bearings, and/or the bearnings are turning in the housing and/or on the shaft. If the wheel wobbles it's not the end of the world but something to think about during restoration.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Location: NC, Jacksonville area
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby krose » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 pm

do you know what year it is?
krose
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Melrose, NY
Zip Code: 12121

Re: My First Super A

Postby krose » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:06 pm

we had one when I was real young on the farm.
krose
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Melrose, NY
Zip Code: 12121

Re: My First Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:02 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:[Williston huh? They say all them tractors from Williston ain't no good. You should just drag it out by the shed and I'll haul it off for you next I pass by your way. :mrgreen:

I heard the same rumor about those Starke tractors, will gladly return the favor :)
Super A wrote:The left hand final will generally show more wear than the right hand. If the left wheel wiggles, It will tell you how much wear you have in the left final---usually worn bearings, and/or the bearnings are turning in the housing and/or on the shaft. If the wheel wobbles it's not the end of the world but something to think about during restoration.

Al

You were dead on Al ,thanks for the tip, did have play.
krose wrote:do you know what year it is?

Yes, its an early 48 (250850)

Just got the engine to run briefly tonight no knocks or suprises,so I am pleased thus far. :{_}: I have a few questions though. Why are there two petcocks on the oil pan? Best source for parts? Do I adjust the throttle rod from governor to carb the same as a Cub?
Thanks Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"
User avatar
Wakulla Bill
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Crawfordville, Fla
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 pm

ctdnwakulla wrote:
RaymondDurban wrote:[Williston huh? They say all them tractors from Williston ain't no good. You should just drag it out by the shed and I'll haul it off for you next I pass by your way. :mrgreen:

I heard the same rumor about those Starke tractors, will gladly return the favor :)
Super A wrote:The left hand final will generally show more wear than the right hand. If the left wheel wiggles, It will tell you how much wear you have in the left final---usually worn bearings, and/or the bearnings are turning in the housing and/or on the shaft. If the wheel wobbles it's not the end of the world but something to think about during restoration.

Al

You were dead on Al ,thanks for the tip, did have play.
krose wrote:do you know what year it is?

Yes, its an early 48 (250850)

Just got the engine to run briefly tonight no knocks or suprises,so I am pleased thus far. :{_}: I have a few questions though. Why are there two petcocks on the oil pan? Best source for parts? Do I adjust the throttle rod from governor to carb the same as a Cub?
Thanks Bill


Neat, that's an EARLY one.....I would guess it was built during the first two full weeks of Super A production.

Petcocks are for checking the oil. If you look the one on the left is just a tad higher--when oil just runs out it is full. The one on the right is the "low." If oil won't come out here you need to add some. On a kerosene or distillate tractor you would drain the oil down to the low petcock and then refill until oil comes out the left petcock.

A good Napa/Carquest will have a lot of engine parts. Local caseIH dealer is good, lots of stuff is still available. some stuff that crosses between the Super A and Cub I get from TM.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Location: NC, Jacksonville area
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks Al, I thought that the petcocks were for that, but I do not assume anything anymore!
The Torque tube casting is 12-1-Q(47) and the engine 9-??-Q.
"Work smarter; Not harder"
User avatar
Wakulla Bill
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Crawfordville, Fla
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My First Super A

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 pm

ctdnwakulla wrote:I heard the same rumor about those Starke tractors, will gladly return the favor :) ....

Bill, You'll have to fight Roy and BillyRay over the little bit I have stashed away... It'll be like a couple bulldogs fighting over a chicken bone though, I don't have much!! :D
User avatar
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: FL, Crestview
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y


Return to Farmall A, Super A, AV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests