This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weak Spark

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Weak Spark

Postby thiggy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:53 am

:help: My magneto generated a very weak spark, so I replaced the coil and condenser. I can’t say that there has been any improvement in the spark generated. If I place a spark plug wire directly in the coil cover, I get a visible but very weak spark. However, I get no spark at the magneto cap. I am wondering if the magnet in the unit can lose it’s strength over time (absent some physical damage). Any ideas about what I may need to do to get a decent spark out of this magneto? :help:
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: Weak Spark

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 am

The magnets can lose their strength. When mags were commonplace there were re-magnetizers around. I just did a quick google search for "how to re-magnetize a magnet" and there were several links.
This is one of them:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4878360_old-mag ... gnets.html
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 am

I'll be watching this post closely to pick up some pointers :sick: I acquired a small magnet charger for my "stationary engines" and thought the cub magneto magnet could also be recharged with it too. I quickly noticed the mag setup is entirely different and was told it's supposed to be a "permanent" charge magnet and never needs charged, but I still have my doubts and agree with Bigdog. I did a search on ebay back then for a tester(I forget the name) to see how much charge various magnets had, but I never bought one. It also gets a little confusing trying to determine which is N and which is S because of the way the mag is designed. My compass picked up the direction, but trying to get the charger adapted and then knowing how much was enough was the big issue. I didn't want to remove any charge if the charger was too small, if that's possible with a so-called "permanent" magnet.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:56 am

I have never heard or read where a Cub or any letter series tractor having to have the Mag recharged due to "weak magnets".
Have you changed the coil? The weak spark, is that with or without the tripping the impulse coupling?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:29 am

I don't see mention of doing anything to the points. If not, either carefully clean or replace them.

IH used alnico alloy magnets in the H series and J-4 magnetos. The older hard steel magnets tended to loose magnetism and needed to be recharged periodically. The alnico magnets are generally considered to be truly permanent, much more so than the iron magnets.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 pm

I don't know any way to recharge the AlNico magnets in the J4 magneto. They are "supposed" to be permanent, and usually are. However, Joe Howard had one that had lost its magnetism. I can only assume that happened from a previous owner's "mishandling" of that magneto, probably getting it near another source of magnetism. Whenever you remove the shaft from a J4, it is supposed to be inside a protective "sleeve", just to insure no harm comes to it.

I agree with Jim, you didn't mention points, so be sure they are addressed as well. If you still don't get a good spark, ship me that magneto and I'll fix it for you.

Oh yeah, just to be sure, the points in a magneto are gapped to .013", while a distributor is gapped to .020". Check it twice.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm

I have not replaced the points, but they are in fine shape and properly gapped (.013). Has anyone actually had a J4 magneto re-magnetized? If I cannot get a decent spark, can the magneto be converted to use a battery actuated coil, or is a distributor required?

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Like I said above, I've never heard or read of a J4 Mag being remagnatized. The Mag can be converted to act like a distributor, but it is not the direction I would recommend. You loose the benefits that the Mag inherently has and won't gain the benifits of the full distributor either. You end up with a ignition system that is sub par to both.
I would recommend fixing the Mag you have, or completely swapping out for a distributor.

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Raymond, I went back down to my basement after my last post. I fiddled a little bit more with the mag and realized that may not have quite the problem that I thought. I have been testing the mag with the coil to magneto cap cable from my new ignition wire set, however, the wire from cap to test spark plug was from an old automobile wire set. The old set was a resistor type with carbon filiment rather than copper wire. If I test directly from the coil with the copper wire, I get a good spark, but I have no spark going through the rotor and cap. My rotor seems to have a good bit of free play back and forth. I wonder if it could be worn to the point that it will not properly transmit the spark from rotor to cap and on to the spark plug.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm

It could very well be. Check the condition of the teeth on both the rotor and the pinion gear for wear, and make sure that they are properly installed and "in line". Check the cleanliness of the inside of the cap and all the conductive parts.
Copper core wires are a must as you have found out!

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Does the rotor and pinon gear have to be "in time"? Is there some type of mark on the two components which must be aligned when installed? (I have not yet removed the rotor from the pinion gear. Thanks

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:05 pm

thiggy wrote:Does the rotor and pinon gear have to be "in time"? Is there some type of mark on the two components which must be aligned when installed? (I have not yet removed the rotor from the pinion gear. Thanks

Yes, they have to be in time and there is a timing mark on both.
(photo courtesy of Rick Prentice)

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks, Raymond. I was hesitant about removing the rotor and pinion gear till I knew that I would be able to re-assemble correctly. Stanley

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 am

To reply to what little I know about re-magnitizing the magnet in a mag. I traded my original mag a few years ago to a man named John Jones in McMinnville TN. I was going to have him rebuild mine, but since he had a fresh rebuilt one on his shelf, I swapped out with him to keep from making another half day trip there and back. But anyway, while I was in his shop, he showed me a "magnitizer" that was from an old John Deere dealership in his area. According to him, this is what he used when the magnet lost it magnatism.

Other than that, I have no personal knowledge how effective the process is.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Again, magnetizers were necessary for the older "ferrous" mag cores. The J4 uses an "AlNico" alloy that is considered a permanent magnet. I, like Raymond, have never heard of anyone "recharging" a J4 core, nor would I have a clue how to do it. If you really do find a damaged one that has no magnetism any longer, replace, it. Call me, I have lots of cores....
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”