This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Project (photo heavy!!)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

154 Project (photo heavy!!)

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 am

The tear down is already well under way....

Shipping crate....
Parts cleaned and primed.....
.....more parts cleaned and primed....
Parts ready for primer....
Ready for engine teardown.....
I believe #4 exhaust valve is getting hot....
Not too nasty in there....
Still not too bad.....
Pulling the valves....
Works slick....
Ok, this is nasty....
Valves, tappets and pistons removed and organized... Standard bore and standard bearings....
At least there is no sludge built up on the crankcase walls....
Parts to be cleaned bin is filling up....
Done for the night....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 154 Project (photo heavy!!)

Postby Former Member » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 am

Cool Raymond. See you in a week or so

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 am

lookin good raymond, someone is gonna get a NICE loboy when you are done!!!!!!

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:09 am

Raymond, you and I are at about the same place on our 154 restorations. I am running out of room though, I need to get the frame sand blasted so I can start assembly and make some room. I noticed that your #4 cyl seems to be the best, so was mine.

I brought a bunch of stuff home from the sandblaster but my son said he would do the frame and front axle, soon I hope. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just filling it with more 154 pics.

Tom
Attachments
018 (640x480).jpg
022 (640x480).jpg
009 (640x480).jpg
008 (640x480).jpg
001 (640x480).jpg
004 (640x480) (2).jpg
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Looking good Tom! You wanna race and see who gets done first!! :lol: :wink:

Made a bit more progress today up at Bobs. Got the rotted muffler separated from the manifold.

After locking the manifold in a vise, we cut the pipe as close to the jam nut as I could, then made two small cuts in the pipe down to the threads using a sawsall, about 3/8" apart from each other. Then took a small chisel and peeled the sliver up and out of the way. After it was knocked out, took a punch and got the jam nut to spin off, the grabbed a large set of channel lock pliers to squeeze the pipe in on itself and turned it out! Took all of about 10 minutes! :D
Sorry I didn't take more pics... It all happened so fast!!

dennisbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62082
Tractors Owned: two 47 two 48 53 and a 72 another 53

Postby dennisbushnell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Who is the mystery man in the first pick? lol
You meet the nicest people on a cub

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

dale shaw's lil brother?
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Raymond, I haven't seen any pics of yours lately. I just went through your pics again and you are going way beyond what I'm doing. Yours may take longer, but it will look a thousand times better that mine. Good patience on your part.

Tom

Tom

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Tom,
I've got more parts cleaned and primed, but no yellow paint yet. You will definitely finish before me, but my goal was to have it done by this summer so that I can help cut some hay for the farmer to the north! :D I should make it well before then (I hope!!).
I've got to get my frame, axle and a few other parts and pieces to the sandblaster, then I can start putting things together. The big issue for me right now is the steering wheel. Its in good shape, but frozen solid and while trying to remove it with a puller, I mushroomed the end of the shaft. I'm gonna end up having to cut it off I'm afraid and just buy another one. Hopefully I can save the shaft and not have to replace it too!
Also have to get my order in to HamiltonBob, just been holding out to make sure that I can get all I need in one shipment. Thinking seriously about upgrading to dual brakes as well while I've got it all torn apart.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 am

The dual brakes are not real handy when you have a heavy load out front. (like a blade or a blower)
They do work very well if you have a load on the 3-point hitch and can get the balance of the tractor more on the back tires.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 pm

I find the dual brakes very handy when one wheel loses traction I can put the power to the wheel that has traction. After seeing how good my 3rd 154 was withy dual brakes i purchased two sets of dual brakes for my other two 154's.

Ray/guys graet job onyour 154's. If your going to restore it do it right.

Ray i know just by looking at your valves there not all carboned up like the ones on my 2nd int154 are. (fel/loader project) The zenith carb that was on it was all beat up by the PO trying to stop it from leaking. My carb looks like someone too a prick punch to the outside rather than pull the bowel to fix the float height or change out the needle and seat. Again laziness on the PO. The carbon is caked up in the ports there almost closed up in the valve area. Bill

One thing to check even though it may look ok is the pullies on the drive shaft and Pto shaft. I've seen these fret on the shaft sometimes. I closer inspection and maybe a tightening up will make sure its ok.

If you look at the front axle bracket area and the vertical plate above it its only welded on one side and the top vertical plate isn't welded to the front axle bracket. Even the welds on one side of the vertical plate are missing on the frame rails. I just tac'd it on both sides and connected everything in that area plus i boxed the very front of the frame rail openings with 3/16 plate too. My pics are in the photo section.

I'm sorry i'm slow with mine do to other things needing attention and my health and the weather holds me up on my restorations.

I purchased almost another 4th int154 in parts on shelves to have the parts on hand inhouse since i have 3 int154's.

1st int154; has 60'' 3260 mower deck w/3pt hitch I'm adding dual brakes. I may add a creeper too for a rear tiller on the 3pt.

2nd int154; has the creeper, fel & backhoe when its done. The farme will be boxed front to rear with 3/16', 1/4'' and 3/8'' + 1/2'' plate in some spots. Power steering and a second hydraulic system. It will have a gearded starter and a 105amp 10si alternator. A six blade fan and maybe an electric fan on the radiator.

3rd int154; Has a creeper tranny, dual brakes an IH snowplow Needs a new clutch and drive shaft.

This is my plan right now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:Tom,
I've got more parts cleaned and primed, but no yellow paint yet. You will definitely finish before me, but my goal was to have it done by this summer so that I can help cut some hay for the farmer to the north! :D I should make it well before then (I hope!!).
I've got to get my frame, axle and a few other parts and pieces to the sandblaster, then I can start putting things together. The big issue for me right now is the steering wheel. Its in good shape, but frozen solid and while trying to remove it with a puller, I mushroomed the end of the shaft. I'm gonna end up having to cut it off I'm afraid and just buy another one. Hopefully I can save the shaft and not have to replace it too!
Also have to get my order in to HamiltonBob, just been holding out to make sure that I can get all I need in one shipment. Thinking seriously about upgrading to dual brakes as well while I've got it all torn apart.

On my 1st int154 i drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 threaded holes in the steering wheel so the orginal steering wheel puller could be used. Then it came off easily.

I have one steering box were the PO welded a hex nut in the hole in the steering shaft that holds the steering wheel on when the nut area probably broke off. Now the steering wheel is held on with a hex bolt and a larger concaved washer from a shock.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Me and Bob got a bit done on the 154 today. Got everything striped down to the bare frame. Had to cut the steering wheel off and boogered up the end of the shaft just a bit, but it's salvageable. Got the frame, axle, hood and a few other parts dropped off at the sandblaster today, so maybe by the end of next week I can start putting stuff back together.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:35 am

I had to take my steering wheel off yesterday to get under the dash to chase some wires. Turns out it was a bad starter. It won't turn over an engine with compression. I probably hate removing the steering wheel worse than anything on these 154's. Note to self: have some behind to catch you when you pull it off with no puller by jerking real hard by hand. First time it EVER came off without a puller.

Tom

Tom

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:22 pm

twotone wrote:Note to self: have some behind to catch you when you pull it off with no puller by jerking real hard by hand.

Loosen the nut but leave it on, so the wheel will stop when it hits the nut.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”