This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pasture Sprayer

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Pasture Sprayer

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:43 am

I have a very old spraying rig that I use to spray hay fields and pasture. It has a 55 plastic drum and is run by a pto roller pump on my Ford 3000. The spray booms are 8' long with a 4' center section of galvanized pipe with 11 spray nozzles. Even though I am using a plastic tank. I am still getting a lot of rust ,which clogs the strainers on the tips. I suspect that the galvanized pipe has rusted inside, causing the problem.

The question is, how can I flush and seal or treat the inside of the pipe to prevent the rust? The other alternative is to run plastic tubing from the tank and bypass the steel pipe. That is doable and should solve the problem. But even using my old tips and fittings from the steel, the cost of 11 tees, adapters, fittings, clamps, etc, is a pretty good expense.

Any thoughts?

Ron
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Pasture Sprayer

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Ron:

A brass rifle brush on a rope should suffice to clean the pipe. There are a number of products that can be used to prevent the rust, but the stuff you are spraying will determine what you can use. Red-Kote or POR-15 would be good choices as they dry and create an impermeable surface, but it may be difficult since the pipe, I assume sked 40 is about 1/2" to 3/4" ID :?:

Course, you could simply put the pipe/tees etc., in the electrolysis tank and clean it prior to each season. That would negate any real need for a sealant on the inside of the pipe., :idea:

Just ruminating in the caverns of the cranium :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Ron, Could you replace the 4' piece of pipe and reuse the same t's (it might involve some drilling and tapping)? I'm somewhat dubious that you could clean out the pipe well enough to coat the inside and not have problems again in a few years.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Use the current pipe as a support and then use lawn sprinkler tubing and tees (or PEX tubing)
These are much less costly than PVC, but not as rigid so they need support.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Rudi, my present pipe is made of carbon steel (at least a magnet will stick) with 1/4" NPT female spuds welded to it. The spray assembly (spray tip, strainer and nut) screws into the spud. The outside of the pipe, which looks to be plated, has very little rust. I am thinking that the pipe assy was fabricated and welded from mild steel and then cad or zinc plated after welding. But, I don't know this.
outdoors4evr wrote:Use the current pipe as a support and then use lawn sprinkler tubing and tees (or PEX tubing)
These are much less costly than PVC, but not as rigid so they need support.

This was exactly first thought to improve it. I am thinking about a reinforced flexible hose as PEX does not hold up well when exposed to sun and daylight. What I need is a plastic tee with two barbs and one female 1/4" NPT. So far, all I have seen is a tee with three barbs and an "L" with male threads and a barb. I am running 40# pressure.

Another option is to use copper and solder the joints. I have a piece of 1" copper, but I would have to buy all of the Tees, fittings, etc. I would still attach the copper to the present pipe for support, but the solder joints may not hold up.

The other option is to do nothing but what I have been doing. Remove 11 spray tips and plugs, clean spray tips and strainer in a bucket ofwater, flush pipe with water and air, reinstall 11 spray tips and plugs, mix GL-4 and spray fields. Repeat the next time that I spray. :D :D :D
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Ron:

In that case run the rifle brush through the pipe and rinse. Probably be easier that way. Hopefully whatever buildup will be fine enough to be cleared through the nozzles. Probably easier than taking it apart daily.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Big Hoss, There is pool chemical you can just add to the circulation system.
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 am

Hi Ron

When I got my atv sprayer I was told to use nutra-sol after spraying to clean the tank of scale and chemical residue. It also says it removes rust scale.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tanks-tank ... b--2111174

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”