This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Key blank & a couple more ?'s

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67601
Tractors Owned: Lo Boy 154 '69
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Key blank & a couple more ?'s

Postby Swobee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm

I need to take care of a few things on the 154 LoBoy I just brought home. I'm going to start with some thing easy - new set of ignition keys. Both keys are bent to the point that I don't trust them too long without fear of breaking off in the ingnition switch. Anyone know what blank to use for a new key cut? I went to our local Ace Hardware today and the guy there spent a lot of time searching, but didn't come up with a blank he trusted to fit. Any clues? The keys that came with it just say Hong Kong, no numbers. Looks like a new switch would be a snap to all to install, so maybe I should go that way instead? Bent/twisted keys bug me- (had a bad experience years ago).

Also it seems to me the idle is plenty fast, but I should be able to figure out an adjustment for that. I have a hand held tach, what would be a good, safe location to measure RPM & what should my low speed idle RPM be? Thanks - Greg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Key blank & a couple more ?'s

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Check with Hamilton Bob's, they are one of our site sponsors and deal in the Numbered Cubs. You can also check with your local CaseIH dealer and see if they have that part #. It doesn't show up on Messicks, but then again their parts pages are a bit messed up.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I think the key is generic and fits most tractors for many years and is not like auto keys.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:14 am

Swobee wrote:... Also it seems to me the idle is plenty fast, but I should be able to figure out an adjustment for that. I have a hand held tach, what would be a good, safe location to measure RPM & what should my low speed idle RPM be? Thanks - Greg

With a handheld tach, use the PTO shaft to get your measurements. At low idle, the PTO should be spinning at around 390 RPM, which would equate to 450-500 engine RPM.

HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 am

Greg,
Many of the key switches have been changed over the years. Be sure to take your key if you go to an IH dealer. If you do put in a new key switch, remove thru the side plate as many steering wheels are very difficult to remove. Good Luck
Hamiltonbob

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”