This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 1450

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Cadet 1450

Postby dhermesc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:36 pm

I was servicing my 1450 to get it ready for summer. I did a little light mowing with it and ran it in the barn for plug, oil, and air filter.

The airfilter was horribly dirty (only one season) and somewhat oil fouled. While I had the filter and air cleaner cover off a little more oil dripped out.

How is oil getting to the filter housing (carb?) on my 1450?

Is the crank case vented to the carb and I just never noticed it?
Freedom is for those that claim it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Cadet 1450

Postby sdurnal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 pm

The valve cover vent is immediately behind the air cleaner. I suspect the intake vacuum is pulling the blow-by into the air filter. Mine does it too...

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 am

Yes, the crank case breather vent is the litle rubber hose that goes into the back of the air filter plate. Unfortunately, if you're getting a lot of oil, that equates to blowby, which means the piston rings are worn. How worn, or how much blowby is too much, is hard to say. I'm guessing you use a half quart of oil for a 2-hour mowing period. That's a typical 40-yr old Kohler engine. It's probably due for a rebuild, however, if you keep an eye on it, you can probably get a few more years out of her.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 pm

The only rubber "hose" that goes in the back of the air filter base is the air cleaner intake. Air is drawn from the flywheel/blower housing through the rubber hose, through the air filter and into the carb. The crank case breather is the vented, rectangle plate, below the carb. There is a reed "valve", baffel, breather plate, seal, filter, and a couple of gaskets under that plate, but it is not connected to the air filter in any way, although it is possible for the vented crank case pressure to be dwawn into the air cleaner if the cover seal is damaged or missing..

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dhermesc » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:53 am

I had the aircleaner completely off - there is no hose from the crank vent to the aircleaner. The air intake from the blower housing is clean and dry. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner and put it back togather with a new airfilter and clean foam precleaner. I'll check it tonight after I've run it a while.

While it was apart it dripped a noticeable amount of oil onto the side panel. It appears the oil is leaking from the carb but for the life of me I can't figure out how this is possible.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

Return to “Cub Cadet”