This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Set new rings for a 108, some advice please!

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Denis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Skype Name: deniscub
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular
1946 Farmall M
1948 Farmall H
1948 Farmall B
1952 Farmall Cub
1971 Cub Cadet 108
1939 Minneapolis Moline UTS

Set new rings for a 108, some advice please!

Postby Denis » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:12 am

My Cub Cadet 108 fitted with a Kohler K241 engine is needing a set of rings. The engine is breathing oil smoke from the oil breather and it uses a bit of oil. As far as I know the engine has never been open before. As there are no other problems do you think that I could just fit a new set of rings to the engine. Or do I need do more? The engine starts easily and runs with good power so I am presuming that a worn or broken oil ring may be the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Denis.
Fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Set new rings for a 108, some advice please!

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 am

You won't know until the engine is partially disassembled and the cylinder bore, piston, crankshaft rod journal, measured. Valves and valve seats inspected.

Normally, if everything is in good shape, you only need to hone the cylinder walls, new rings and touch up (lap) the valves and valve seats.

What you might do is add SeaFoam to the engine oil and gasoline. Thinking you might have stuck piston rings. Which is probably not the case but an inexpensive try. ((SeaFoam or similiar product from your auto parts store designed to free up stuck piston rings.))
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Set new rings for a 108, some advice please!

Postby BigBill » Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 pm

My first cc108 does the samething she has some blowby. The seafoam did cut down on the blowby but i notice the exhaust is a tad loud too. I'm thinking she maybe running a tad hot do to the timing being off and the valves need adjustment too. I pulled the head and the cylinder looks great with no ridge at the top at all. The head gasket was blown. I may check it out soon.

You need to lap the valves if there ok and the seats are good. Then hone the bore if the bore is ok with no score marks. I notice when the po's run these machines with bad air cleaners dirt can get into the cylinders and score them. I picked up a 12hp short block with one score mark.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Cub Cadet”