This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fritters

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
TrainsNTractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fritters

Postby TrainsNTractors » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:15 pm

Some years ago I had some Conch fritters. Now just how do you make these? I am sure that you could fritter just about anything but what do you use for a recipe for the batter?
What makes a fritter a fritter and not deep fried something? Its OK let me have it my cholesterol is fine.
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:16 am

I'm not sure what a fritter is any more. When we were kids my Mom would make what she called fritters by making a pan of cornmeal batter like she was going to make cornbread, but then she would drop it in a frying pan and fry it like a pancake. A long while later I was told that wasn't a fritter, but wasn't told what constitutes a fritter.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:27 am

To me, a fritter was just about any meat, fruit or vegetable dipped or mixed in batter (corn meal was what my mother used) and pan fried. I think frying it is the only way to cook a fritter. Crab, shrimp, corn or apple were my all time favorites though it seemed just about anything in season or leftover was used. Kinda like a hush puppy with a surprise inside.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Wise Owl » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:42 pm

According the Professional Cooking For Canadian Chefs, the term 'Fritter' is used for small vegetables or cuts mixed with a batter and dropped with a scoop into hot fat. The term Fritter is also applied to vegetables dipped in batter and fried.

I also remember as a child having corn fritters and they were cooked on the griddle with little fat, much like pancakes and looked liked thick pancakes. They were so delicious then that it has become a family recipe.

Vegetable Fritters
Portions: 20 Portion size: 3 oz (90 g) or 2 pieces

6 eggs, beaten
500 ml Milk
500 g (1 lb) Flour
2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 oz (30 g) Sugar

1. Combine the eggs and milk.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add to the milk and eggs and mix until smooth.
3. Let the batter stand for several hours in a refrigerator.

1 1/2 lbs Vegetables: Choice of corn, cooked diced carots, baby lima beans, diced asparagus, diced celery or celery root, turnip, eggplant, cauliflower, zucchini, parsnips, etc.

4. Stir the cold, cooked vegetables into the batter.
5. Drop with a No. 24 scoop into deep fat at 350 degrees F. (175 deg. C). Hold the scoop just above the hot fat when dropping. Fry until golden brown.
6. Drain well and serve.

Fruit Fritters

Increase sugar to 2 oz. Use fresh, frozen or cananed fruits such as blueberries, diced pineapple, or apple. Fruit must be well drained. Dust each portion with powdered sugar just before serving. (You can flavor your batter with cinnamon, vanilla, brandy, etc.)

Bon appétit!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:06 pm

Thanks Honey!

When can we have some Bannana Fritters :roll: :D :lol: :lol: Yuuuuummm :!: :idea: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”