This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The blackberries are beginning to ripen here!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

The blackberries are beginning to ripen here!

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:27 am

My wife and I picked around 5 quarts of blackberries before breakfast this morning. We're just starting to get some good ripe ones.

If it is cool some night next week I hope to get some more and then again next weekend.

We're having cobbler tonight. :D

-Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:32 am

Blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice-cream is a favorite dessert. Dan

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: The blackberries are beginning to ripen here!

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:23 pm

pgmrdan wrote:My wife and I picked around 5 quarts of blackberries before breakfast this morning. We're just starting to get some good ripe ones.

If it is cool some night next week I hope to get some more and then again next weekend.

We're having cobbler tonight. :D

-Dan

Cor you'r lucky the bees have only just this weekend discovered ours, I can't see any fruit arriving for at least another 3 weeks, If we don't get any rain they won't be very big this year.
We make Blackberry and apple jelly/jam and blackberry tip wine and blackberry fruit wine,Good ole tackle!!
Pat

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:12 am

Picked a gallon and 1/2 of blueberries 2 weeks ago. froze enough for cobblers all winter and made one for supper desert that night :D Still had some for fruit in our ceral in the mornings!
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:12 pm

Well, it was anything but cool tonight but we got 7 more quarts! :D

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:29 pm

Dan: You are breaking my heart. We had two nights of hard frost in early June just as the gooseberries were starting to fruit. Frost wiped out the garden and the gooseberry fruit. Replanted the garden then no rain. AND NO GOOSEBERRY PIE.

106 degrees on the bank sign and 100 degrees in the shade on the front porch at 6 P.M. today.

Eugene

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:09 am

Ahhhh! Gooseberries!

Of everyone I know that has tried gooseberries it seems they either like them a lot or hate them.

I assume you like them. That makes about 3 people, including me, that I know of that like gooseberries. :D

I plan to plant some when we get moved out to our land but my wife keeps asking, "Why?"

I also want to plant some persimmon and some pawpaw trees, but I'm not sure if either of them will do well up here. I need to look into them some more.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:16 pm

Persimmon and pawpaw trees do well in central Missouri. The Missouri Conservation Dept has their own nursery and sells trees every spring. Their prices are very inexpensive compared to commercial nurseries.

This past spring Mo Conservation sold blackberry plants. Another idea for your property. Blackberry plot. A family west of Linn, Mo. planted about 1/2 acre of blackberries. They sell the berries and also do a you pick your own for price. Their location is ideal for a you pick you own, along a major highway.

You could start your own winery. Grape growning and wine making is a very big commercial enterprise in this area.

If you like asparagus prep the patch this fall, plant next spring. If you like asparagus, make it a big patch.

Just trying to help you out.

Eugene

s

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:41 pm

Yes, asparagus is on my garden list along with okra. Gotta have both of them. It's surprising how many people up here don't know what okra is.

Central MO is where I used to eat persimmons and pawpaws.

For our berry plot we're going to have blueberries, blackberries, and gooseberries.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:53 pm

Get the asparagus bed ready because it takes a couple of years befdre you can pick but it lasts 20 years.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:23 pm

Gooseberrys -- hmmm wonder which - wild or cultivated.

When I was growing up in Timmins in Northern Ontario, the elementary school I went to - Pinecrest Elementary had a wild gooseberry patch out back - probably about 1 acre of gooseberry bushes -- highbush - 5 and 6 foot bushes, well at least to a kid..

Now them was small, green and tart. Put a pucker on yer puss faster than a turped cat's butt hustled down the street... :lol: :lol: :lol: I really loved them wild gooseberry's, never did get used to the cultivated ones though -- too big and too fat :!:

Still haven't got a clue what persimmons are or paw paw's.. and okra - what is that??? not much chance of it gettin on my plate - what I have seen in the grocery store is either pretty yucky colour or is in a can -- not for me...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:51 pm

Gumbo is another name for Okra. It is sort of Italian pepper shapped, filled with seeds like pepper and with a almost jelly like covering when cooked. If you can not tell I like it. Many can't understand why a DAMMEDYANKEY would but I do.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:32 am

beaconlight wrote:Gumbo is another name for Okra. It is sort of Italian pepper shapped, filled with seeds like pepper and with a almost jelly like covering when cooked. If you can not tell I like it. Many can't understand why a DAMMEDYANKEY would but I do.

Bill

Okra is a vegetable you put into Gumbo. My wife makes a mean Gumbo. Seafood Gumbo is my favorite, but she makes a good chicken and sausage Gumbo too. I like okra any way you can fix it. I eat some small ones as I pick it. (which I am going to do this morning) You can slice it up and smother it down in a skillet, or smother it with tomatoes, or boil it whole. My favorite boiled is when she puts it on top of the peas when they get almost done and boil it with the peas. They stay on top and she just scops them off and puts them in a plate.
I've heard of Gooseberries and PawPaws, but don't recall ever seeing any. We make a lot of Mayhaw jelly and strawberry wine. The Blackberries didn't do anything this year.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:19 am

We have asparagus with nearly every meal from mid-June till now, when the shoots begin to get small. We allow it to go to ferns to nourish the root system in preparation for next year. My patch is about 13 years old. I understand there are documented asparagus beds that are over a century old.

I've had terrible luck with my okra this year... I have only one surviving stalk. It's just beginning to bear. I'll prefer it breaded and fried.

My daily walks include a stop in the garden to pick peppers and eat them on the spot. I have to keep ahead of them since they get hotter if they stay on the plant too long. I prefer them a little hot, but I'm not into pain.

Tomatoes are just now beginning to show some red.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”