This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hand held GPS

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Hand held GPS

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:38 am

Since Billy Ray has an ongoing thread about mapping, not wishing to highjack it, I will start a similar one.

Since I am retired, I spend a great deal of time trailriding horses. We ride everywhere, open fields, unmarked trails, marked trails, state parks, federal parks, etc.

I bought a Garmin Etrex for less than $100 a few years ago to help map, but mostly to track miles traveled and get me back to camp. First of all, I am not smart enough to follow the limited instructions that came with it. I needed close and personal help to get me started. A riding buddy of mine has an old Magellan that will run circles around mine. For instance, he will show that we have gone 8 miles, while mine will show only 6 miles. Now we are riding alot in the woods, so apparently mine is losing signal. Bottom line, I have given up and rarely take it with me, anymore.

Question, do I have to spend $300-400 to get one that is accurate and simple to use? All I want it to do is track where I have been and if I ride in a long circle, get me back to my horse trailer. Nothing fancy.

Ron
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Re: Hand held GPS

Postby Mr E » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 am

Ron, seems Yogie had one that did a great job when he was riding his cub all over the country-side. Hopefully he will see this and give us his experience.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am

BIGHOSS wrote: A riding buddy of mine has an old Magellan that will run circles around mine. For instance, he will show that we have gone 8 miles, while mine will show only 6 miles.

Maybe the other 2 miles are from the circles?

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 am

Jim Becker wrote:
BIGHOSS wrote: A riding buddy of mine has an old Magellan that will run circles around mine. For instance, he will show that we have gone 8 miles, while mine will show only 6 miles.
Maybe the other 2 miles are from the circles?
Good one Jim !!
:bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 am

Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 am

Ron:

As I mentioned before we have an older Garmin GPSMap76 ... a great gps unit -- basic -- black and white, good graphics, great maps and highly accurate.

It has the ability to track up to 17 or 19 satellites if I remember the specs properly. The more gps satellites that a unit can acquire the greater the accuracy. Our Garmin is accurate enough for survey work and we use it in our prospecting all of the time. In fact it is/was the preferred unit for most of the prospectors in NB then. It has all of the mapped roads available when the unit was manufactured and is still pretty accurate. Will it update ? Yes but it takes some work. Mind you ours is at least 5 years old now and newer ones are probably a lot more accurate.

Garmin is probably the best there is. Garmin has been providing US and Cdn Forces with GPS gear for almost 2 decades and their civilian stuff is developed from those applications from what my chums in the Forces tell me. I have had a Magellan on loan and used it for a few of our fossil/rock hounding expeditions but I was not impressed with it at all nor how complicated it was. So my vote has to go with the pros. Garmin is the unit to use especially off road. You do have to understand the units a bit.

No matter which unit you choose, remember you get what you pay for. We waited a while until ours was on sale to get it. With good GPS units in the $300.00 to $600.00 price range sales are a good thing. Ultimately it will be a personal choice based on what you consider the most important factors to be.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”