to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks you will probably ever meet
Becoming a Member
I am assuming that you have been visiting and Lurking
for a while and I do hope that your visits to date have been informative and enjoyable. I do hope you also took the time to sign the Guest Book
. Just a quick note here - any email requests in the Guest Book will almost definitely not
generate a reply. The most suitable way to request information is to
- Become a Member
- Send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to any of the Team Cub Members. Due to the fact that this site is moderated by volunteers, a reply may be a while in coming.
As a guest you have been able to read, search and visit the Farmall Cub Gallery
but you have not been able to actively participate in the discussions. To be able to participate and to post to threads you must Register and become a Member. So, maybe now is that time.
Resgistration is easy. First, a good think on a suitable user name that does not contain "email@example.com", would be a good place to start. This type of username will show up as a url and can cause confusion. Peruse the Forums, check out what other members are using as a user name, or if desired, you can just use your First Name and if it is common as a number to it such as Dennis283 etc. You might also consider using your ISP username without the @yourisp.com extension. Then, click on a forum button such as Farmall Cub Forum
. Then at the top of the page you will see a number of links:
Oh, you may click these links to see where they take you without losing this page. A new window will open. When finished with viewing that page, simply close the new window.How To Register
Click on the Register Button
. This will take you to the Farmall Cub - Registration Agreement Terms. You must choose one of three options at the end of the page.
- For the vast majority of us we will click the first option which will then take us to the Main Registration Page where we can input our relevant personal information.
- For those who are under 13, Parental Consent may be required.
- If you choose this option you will be returned to the Main Page of the FarmallCub.com site.
I will just walk through this part as it is pretty self explanatory. Sometimes errors do occur, so it is good to know what all this stuff is about.Registration Information
(This is the info that is used primarily for loging in}
Remember to write down your username and password so that you can access it when you log in
- Username: ImaCubNut or a name of your choosing
- E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: Type you password in this box (a password should be an AlphaNumeric type that is easy for you to remember, but not so easy for someone to guess.} There are sites that explain how to create passwords, and will be included here when able)
- Confirm password: Re-type your password or highlight copy and paste from the previous box.
Also it would be a good idea to keep your username and password on your computer in a file known ONLY to you as your password file in case you forget it in the future.Profile Information
- ICQ Number: ICQ contact number. I no longer use ICQ as it is too prone for viruses and botware, Optional.
- AIM Address: AOL Instant Messenger username goes here, Optional.
- MSN Messenger: email@example.com for example, Optional.
- Yahoo Messenger: firstname.lastname@example.org for example, Optional.
- Website: This is the url that you have for your own webpage or webspace provided by your ISP or yahoo or other on-line space providers, Optional.
- Location: This is where you put the State and then the City you live in
- Flag: Once registered this can be added under the Profile Edit option
- Occupation: Optional - insert if you are comfortable with it
- Interests: Optional - usually your hobbies such as Cubs, Fishing, Fly-tying etc.
- Signature: This is where you can put your favourite quote or signature line. It will be appended to each of your posts. You will see many of these in our members posts. There is a 255 character limit including spaces and punctuation.
In your Profile
, if you enter your location as State
it will allow our members to locate fellow Cubber's by sorting on the location field.
Example: MO, Kansas City
or TN, Knoxville
You would be surprised how many offers of one on one help you may get if our members know where you actually are. It is also of benefit to those who wish to initiate impromptu or even organized get-to-gethers such as CubFest Northeast 2004
and CubFest 2005 - Stoutsville Ohio
- Always show my e-mail address Optional, it is useful It shows up as a button in your post next to your MSN, Yahoo addresses
- Hide your online status Some chose this option, but I am not sure why...? If you choose this option, your on-line chums will not know you are there.
- Always notify me of replies Useful and to me a standard Yes. Check no if you get a lot of spam.. sometimes the spam filters will identify these autoresponses as [Bulk] mail.
- Notify on new Private Messages Good Option for a Yes
- Pop up window on new Private Messages I changed to No after a while - you automatically see if you have new PM's when you log in. The pop up window can be irritating after a while.
- Always attach my Signature Option, but Yes is required if you want you Signature quote to show up
- Always allow BBcode This should be a Yes, unless you want to insert the code yourself
- Always alllow HTML This should be a Yes
- Always allow Smilies Helpful Yes unless Smilies bug you
- Board Language The default is English. There is no other choices
- Board Style There are 5 choices, pick the one you like... default is subSilver, I like the Typical or typ - it is the yellow/orange interface
- Timezone Ahhh, this is based on GMT - Greenwhich Mean Time. This means that the base time is centered on Greenwich England. Atlantic Canada time is GMT + 4. Eastern is GMT+5 and Central is GMT+6. It is for the timezone you live in.
- Date format Default, don't change.
Now that you have registered and are now a member, the next step is to log in to your account. When you first vist the site you enter via the Main Page
, then click on the Cub Forum Button which will take you to the Farmall Cub Forum Index
. Click the Log In
You will be directed to the Please enter your username and password to log in.
Enter your username and your password exactly as you had entered it in your registration process.
You will also see a:Log me on automatically each visit:
Check this box and you will automatically be directed to the Farmall Cub Forum Index
and automatically logged in. Saves typing everything.
Then hit the Log in
Bookmark this page in your Favourites Folder and you will be able to enter the Farmall Cub Forum Index page immediately.Now What ?
Now you are logged in as a member and you can do a few things you could not before. These are:
- Post Replies in Threads
- Edit your Posts
- Edit Your Profile
- Enter FlashChat
Now that you can Post to those threads you have been reading for awhile, it might be useful for you to peruse the How To Do Neat Stuff in a Post
thread in the How To Forum
.How To Post, Edit and Delete
To post, simply click the
button in the main forum that you are in and proceed to write your post. Don't forget to include the title
To post a reply within a thread, it is basically the same procedure. Click the
button and type your post in the dialog window. Note:
You do not have to supply a title when you are responding to an existing topic.
Editing a post is rather easy as well, but you must remember you can only edit your own post
. If you look at the post itself you will see in the upper right hand corner an
button. If you click this button, you will then be brought to a dialog window where you can edit your post for things such as:
- Fix Spelling Errors
- Change the Title
- Add Additional Text, Images and links
Once you have completed your editing, you may click the Preview Button
to view your changes as they will appear or the Submit Button
. You must use the Submit Button
to effect the changes. When you hit the Submit Button
you will be given two choices - these are to Return to Your Message
or Return to the Forum
. If you do nothing, then the default is to Return to your Message
Now for the embarassing option. Should you decide that a post you have submitted is not what you really intended, you have the option of Deleting your own post. All you have to do is look at the top right-hand corner of your post and beside the Edit Button
you will find the Delete Button
. Click the Button, you will then be asked : Are you sure you want to delte this post?
and you will be given two options - Yes or No. Click the appropriate response. If you click yes the Post will be deleted, If you click No, you will be returned to the previous page.
just a thought: At the bottom right-hand side of the pages in the forum you will see a list of things that you can do:
You can post new topics in this forum
How To Edit Your Profile
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum
At the top of each page are the list of options that you have available to you. One of those options is the Profile
In this page you can update your personal information that was either in error, superceded or not available when you first registered. Also, now that you are registered, you can add an Avatar to your Profile. This Avatar will appear under your name in your posts.
This is my Avatar;
I will try to explain how this option works as soon as the Flag option is working again. Also, I want to learn how to capture screen shots to assist in the explanation.
The last option is the FlashChat
button. Click the button and you will enter FlashChat which is a live chatroom associated with each of the Forums. To successfully use FlashChat, you must allow Macromedia to instal a utility. In another How To Article, I will endeavor to explain the intricacies of FlashChat. However, I am going to have to learn how to capture screen shots for that one to work.
I do hope that this How To article has been of some assistance to you. If you have any ideas for additions to the article please let me know. Also, if you find any broken links, errors including spelling, please let me know as well.