This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Borrowing Stuff

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65
Circle of Safety: Y

Borrowing Stuff

Postby Rodney51Cub » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Does anyone else have to repair equipment they borrow, just to use it, or am I the lucky one. I borrowed my cousins tandem axle trailer to haul a 48 cub home to work on. The owner lives about 5 miles from me. I hooked the trailer up, kicked the tires and checked the lights. Right tail light assembly was broken. I was going on all back roads except for about a 1/4 mile of highway so I thought no big deal I will fix it when I get the tractor home. Got the tractor home and unloaded. Started repairing the lights. 3 hours later, several wiring splices, zip ties, tape, wire loom, new wire and a bulb, all the lights worked. I thought they could replace the lens on the light. I checked tire pressures and pulled the trailer back to my cousins with my cub (seat time), it is only 1 mile. On the way back I kept hearing a rattling noise when ever I hit a pot hole ( county road ). I pulled it to my cousins house, found a crack in the frame between the right side wheels and the right side center spring hanger weld was broken. Told him about the light repair, the frame and hanger problems. Said he knew about the hanger but did not know about the other stuff because his dad had been using it to haul scrap. I am grateful for use of the trailer but I will inspect it alot closer next time, unless I purchase a trailer before then.
USAF 1976 - 1996

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Re: Borrowing Stuff

Postby danovercash » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm

BTDT.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Borrowed my boss mans trailer awhile back. Tires looked really good. Was gonna be gone about 3.5 to 4 hours. Drove bout 30 min and tire blew out. No spare, jack, or tools. Sat on side of road bout 3 hrs before he got there. Decided I was never gonna borrow a trailer ever again. Bought me a new one. Talk about peace of mind!
Thomas

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 pm

My cousin, Bud, is a good bit older than I (Dad was the baby of his family) and he borrowed a lot of stuff from Dad. Bud always brought back what he borrowed in as-good-as or better condition than when he borrowed it. If he broke it, he fixed it, no matter the cost. If what he borrowed had an engine, the gas/diesel tank was full. I have tried to emulate Bud, whenever I borrow something. If I have to fix something, I figure it is a lot cheaper than owning whatever it is that I borrowed. Works for me. :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 pm

tmays wrote:No spare, jack, or tools. Sat on side of road bout 3 hrs before he got there.

We all should be sure we have a spare, jack and tools when we pull a trailer. I do that on the long trips, but I confess I'm guilty of not loading the goodies on short trips.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 pm

I also believe in the bring it back better than you borrowed it. (My dad taught me this). Thats why I fixed the lights. It was just a little suprising to see the cracked frame and broken hanger because I know my cousin takes better care of his stuff than that.
USAF 1976 - 1996

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Thats why i loan John my trailer, see his not going right post LOL. Btw thanks John. (did i say that out loud?)

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 pm

People that loan stuff have the same type problem, when I get my stuff back sometimes it is not even close to the condition it was in when it left. Lights broken or missing , tags lost , fenders bent etc.

I dont like to borrow anything and have learned that it is best not to loan at times.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:59 pm

There are a couple people that like for me to borrow their trailers, they say they get them back better than before I borrowed. LOL Neighbor of mine says his biggest problem is when his son borrows something. Usually pretty rough when it comes back.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 pm

I had much rather tear my stuff up than someone else's. I try not to borrow but as others have said if I do I like to bring it back a little better than I found it.

A good friend of mine used to let me borrow his trailer all the time before I got mine. Shortly after I got mine, his neighbor borrowed his trailer. The next time he went to use it, he noticed the deck wasn't sitting level. Closer inspection revealed the chassis was broken/sprung and they had tried to "bubblegum" weld it back! Of course nothing was said to him they just parked it back under the shed where they found it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Off Topic”