This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

super a serials #

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

super a serials #

Postby dirtyred » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:45 am

i noticed that alot of engine overhaul kits state that they will fit super a thru serial number 310xxx. did the c123 go in after that serial #? and does that make it a super a-1. and can somebody shed some light on the A V and A V-1. thanks
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: super a serials #

Postby twotone » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 am

My SA serial no. is 346546, so it's a late one, but it's not a A1. Awfully close though.

Tom

I just relized you might be talking about engine ser numbers. Mine is 348347
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: super a serials #

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 am

When the Super C replaced the C, the engine was changed from 113 ci to 123 ci. With this change, the lower bore of the engine block was increased and the lower ends of the sleeves (wet sleeve engine) were enlarged along with the increased bore. From this time forward, the Super A used the Super C block with the larger lower bore. The Super A sleeve was resized to fit the larger lower bore but the original 3" piston bore was retained. Thus the later Super A has the same displacement as the earlier Super A, but the different OD of the sleeves requires a different sleeve and piston kit.

The tractor commonly refered to as a Super A1 had several changes from the Super A, including most of the things that changed from a C to a Super C. The Super A1 had the larger 3-1/8" bore, raising the displacement to 123ci. It also had a water pump and taller radiator. The taller radiator required different sheet metal and a raised gas tank, like the Super C. One thing that did NOT change was the decals. The hood of a Super A1 simply said "Super A". By the way, IH internal documents often differentiate the Super A from the Super A1 as Series 1 and Series 2.

I'm not sure what your AV question is. The "V" designation identifies the high clearance variant of the tractors. Whether you are looking at an A, Super A or Super A1, the changes to make a high clearance tractor were about the same.

While I'm at it, I might as well head off the question of the AI (letter I, not number 1). There were industrial/commercial versions of these tractors. There were a few modifications made for these versions. These were properly called "International A" or "International Super A". Labeling on the tractors was changed accordingly. Anything on the tractor that said "Farmall" was replaced with "International". The word "culti-vision" was removed. The model ID on the side of the hood was either "A" or "Super A". They did NOT use a designation "AI". You see a lot of them at shows. They are all inaccurate replacement decals.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”