This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sod Cutter/Sod Lifter

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Sod Cutter/Sod Lifter

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Looking for plans of, or general description of, a sod cutter/sod lifter. Plan is to make a sod cutter powered by a skidsteer, 2 wheeled garden tractor, Cub Cadet or perhaps the Cub.

To cheap to spend $250- for a foot powered one or rent one for $60- a day. Watched Youtube on the operation of the foot powered sod cutter. Takes more effort than I'm willing to exert. Besides the effort required, I have machines to do the hard work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Sod Cutter/Sod Lifter

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Eugene, I can't help you with the plans, but thought you might appreciate this:

EVEN IF YOU ARE BLONDE YOU HAVE TO LOVE

Image]

Two blondes were sipping their Starbucks when a truck
went past loaded up with rolls of sod.

"I'm going to do that when I win the lottery," announced Blonde #1.

"Do what?" asked Blonde #2.

"Send my lawn out to be mowed."
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 pm

I made a three point sod cutter and pulled it with my VAC. Well I rode the cutter with two B farmall weights and a big heavy chain and my son drove the tractor. If I had a down draft on the lift it would have worked great. You can give it a look in a few weeks. Might want to give it a try.
Ron in Mid Missouri

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:30 pm

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Eugene:

Did you know that there was actually a Sod Cutter built for the Cub??? Cut 18" strips ... :wink:

pics courtesy TM Tractor Hole Auger, Rotary Tiller, Sod Cutter and many more
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 01, 2012 8:02 am

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atta ... g00111.jpg

I like the looks/design of this homemade sod cutter.

Still thinking. Son and I used a 2 wheeled walk tractor and plow to lay in the wire for his electric dog fence.

I have several plows and disk harrows for two wheeled garden tractors plus an extra set of JD plow coulters and tail wheel on the shelf. Will spend some time today surveying my equipment and metal pile.

More ideas wanted.

Rudi. I didn't know there was a sod cutter made for a Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 01, 2012 9:03 am

The one pictured on tractorbynet looks like it should work pretty well. I think my Gaylott scoop would make a passable sod cutter if it just had a couple of gauge wheels. I would think the best placement would be on each side to run on the sod just before it is cut. How refined to make it depends on how much sod you intend to cut.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am

I think the Gaylott could be used with some modifications. I played around with the one I had trying to dig some sod with it, and I do not think the cub has enough traction or power to cut it full width though.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue May 01, 2012 11:19 am

I built one a few years ago and still have it out back. Mine was only 16" wide (between the coulters) and I used it to remove nice grass just before I used the 16" bucket on the backhoe. Once the digging was done, I just placed the sod back onto the dirt. I found a couple coulter wheels at the scrapyard, a big sharp mower blade section that I bought at TSC, a couple wide nylon rollers, and some scrap steel for the frame. I had bought a subsoiler earlier from TSC and that is what I used for the mounting to my 3 point cub. I simply cut the subsoiler off the bottom of the main frame and made the sod attachment to attach with two pins, along with reattaching the subsoiler the same way. The sod cutter worked great with my thick grass. The rollers where mounted so the blade cut the sod just about 2" thick(just under the roots). As long as you kept the blade sharp, it skimmed under the sod while the coulter wheels cut the edges first. You just rolled the sod up and put it wherever you wanted it.

The last time I used it was down the road at the neighbors. She was digging the sod by hand with a shovel and not setting any speed records. I told her to spraypaint some guidelines and I'd be right back. I bolted the unit to the side of my front loader bucket and had the new sidewalk sod removed in about 10 minutes.

It's much easier having things out in front of you to watch, instead of twisting your head around all the time.

I used to have pics but that was during my picturetrail years(expired)

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

Explaination on what I need to do with a sod cutter.

About 20 years ago I cut a shallow drainage ditch, about 6 inches deep, 3 foot wide, and 120 to 150 feet long by hand. Shallow ditch diverted water away from daughter's house in Iowa. Over the years the ditch has filled up.

Planning on hauling my small skidsteer to Iowa to do the digging and dirt moving. Skidsteer digs pretty well, but taking a 2 wheeled garden tractor with plow to loosen up the soil just in case.

Currently thinking, making an attachment for the skidsteer's bucket to cut and move sod is way to go.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”