This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tinnitus

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

tinnitus

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 09, 2012 9:25 pm

I went to an Ear, Nose and Throat Dr. a few weeks ago to get the wax cleaned out of an ear that was stopped up. She asked me if I had a problem with ringing in my ears. I told her I had it, but it did not bother me, I just ignored it. She said that is great, many people are really bothered by it. I told her that after being married for 40 years I had learned to automatically tune out irritating noise.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: tinnitus

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Tell that to your wife and there is a good chance you won't see 41 years of marriage. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 pm

John, I haven't been married nearly as long as you but I can say that Barnyard may definately be right!! But tinnitus is no joke. I constantly preach to my students about turning their ipod's down. When I am walking behind them between classes and I can hear their music (while they are wearing earbuds) I know it has to be damaging their hearing.

My dad has lived with it for years. He thinks he "got" it during his time in the army in the early '60s, firing a machine gun with no ear protection. He worked in a textile mill for over 30 years, and said with all the other noise, the ringing never really bothered him. Once he left the plant and had more "quiet" time, he said it could really get on his nerves. Today his hearing is very poor, in particular he has a hard time understanding womens' voices due to the pitch.

I haven't always worn ear protection around tractors and lawn mowers like I should, and I can tell I don't hear as well as I should.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed May 09, 2012 11:08 pm

I lost most of my hearing in my left ear in two weeks for an unexplained reason. Before that both ears were not the best probably from running printing presses in the 70's. One time I was pumping gas when a woman stuck her head around the pump with a question on how to turn it on. I had just left the company's noisy old F850 and had my hearing aids turned off. I told her just a minute, snapped on the aids and told her I had them set on wife. A minute after our conversation she looked around the pump again and said it just dawned on her what I had said. I am used to tinnus but it impairs hearing. Lipo-flavonid (a vitamin mix) helps but one doesn't need anywhere the amount on the box. Vern

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Thu May 10, 2012 8:02 am

Mr. John, you are going to get hurt!!! :lol: :lol:
"I ain't believing this!"

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Thu May 10, 2012 3:27 pm

The new hearing aids can be fitted with a tinnitus generator which masks all but a little bit of the ringing, it works pretty good. Remote control and blue tooth enabled. I am waiting for the unit that lets the family set the tv sound level and I can adjust my own. Technology is great!
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 10, 2012 3:54 pm

I guess this is John's way of "living life on the edge !!" :lol:

Having tinnitus (thankfully I have my VA Pension for it) I know how much of a pitb it can be. The constant ringing is frustrating to say the least.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 pm

In response to John's original post....

"And that's how the fight started!!!!" :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu May 10, 2012 9:33 pm

daddydip, what brand of aids are you getting? The ones recomended to me cost $7000.00, and I can listen to my phone and personal stero wireless (bluetooth). Don't know iffin I'll ever have that much money.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Thu May 10, 2012 11:14 pm

They are made by Resound Dan, all in ear, because of the eyeglass arms things were getting crowded back there :lol: :lol: :lol: I went to have them checked out today and the right wasn't working so back to the shop for repairs. Thing about it was I thought something wasn't right but just couldn't put my finger on it.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 am

daddydip wrote:They are made by Resound Dan, all in ear, because of the eyeglass arms things were getting crowded back there :lol: :lol: :lol: I went to have them checked out today and the right wasn't working so back to the shop for repairs. Thing about it was I thought something wasn't right but just couldn't put my finger on it.

My new hearing aids I picked up in Oct. are made by Resound also Michael, they do have an add on that allows you to hear the TV over what others can hear. I haven't watched TV for near 15 years so I passed on that option.
I've suffered with severe Tinnitus for around 25 years now, that's one of the reasons I sleep 3 to 5 hours a night because once you wake up there's no going back to sleep again. The aids have helped a little but come no way near covering the ringing.... I've found that watching what I eat and drink can keep it to where it's berable. Stick to no caffeine drinks, things like dairy products effect mine, chocolates of any type can shoot mine through the roof the instant I eat it.
I can also tell when it's going to rain by the increase in the ringing. Tones and volume change, sometimes I think this is all that keeps a person sane at times. Tinnitus not only comes from working around loud noise but it's also hereditary, my dad and grandfather both suffered with it.... I'm very cautious around Grayson and make sure he has hearing protection at all times when needed, since his case of Encephalitis last Fall his hearing is the only side effect that's been noticed. His hearing is super sensitive now and most all assemblies at school he sits out and stays in the room with his teacher working with computers. I've provided protection for these events but both he and the teacher enjoy the quiet classroom time.
My aids are also needing some work done to them but I've decided to wait until after the Bash before returning to the doctor so I won't have to read lips. Mine are the behind the ear type and have 3 different hearing levels built in that I can change myself. The first 2 levels are for public use while my 3rd is used only for bow hunting, for many years I've hunted with the only sound being the ringing and the sound of the bow being released after a shot.
I think at times my doctor has the patience of Jobe... :lol: When I started wearing them we had to start out low and work up, I didn't realize everything out there makes a noise from my truck turn signals to every bird flying by so it was all a little overwhelming at first.... :shock: :lol:

The aids do cost a lot but hearing everything in digital stereo is worth it, mine were $4,200, insurance covered only the services and the aids were out of my pocket.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Wed May 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Yogie I can say that I had no idea how much I was struggling, it is an improvement. I am like you also when they are ringing,like right now, I feel like I am working on a cricket farm!

Return to “Off Topic”