This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electronic Regulator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Electronic Regulator

Postby LeeC » Fri May 25, 2012 11:35 am

Yet another 6 volt regulator died on me. It was a US made one sold by Standard Products. Actually, it gave me several years of good service before failing. I pulled out another US made one that I had in reserve that I got from somewhere else and it was dead out of the box (first time that happened to me using a US made one). I bit the bullet and went looking for another solution. Bus Driver had posted previously suggesting trying Wilton Auto Electric, so I thought I would give that a try. It took some going back and forth to get it working properly, but I am happy to say I am the proud owner of a 6 volt system with electronic ignition and regulator. :{_}: No more corroding points for me on that Cub. Of course it would have been cheaper to convert to 12 volts, but that is not what I wanted to do. Wilton Auto Electric can be found at http://www.wiltonae.com I am passing this information on for the benefit of others on this forum and have no other interest in the company other than being a recent customer.
--Lee
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Re: Electronic Regulator

Postby Landreo » Sun May 27, 2012 9:35 am

This place has a good rep but $90! Ouch!

EdHarbur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06877

Postby EdHarbur » Sun May 27, 2012 1:43 pm

90 bucks doesn't seem so bad if the regulators that are available aren't lasting and need frequent replacement. Was the tweeking required a big deal? Was it on your end or Wilton's? I'd guess that whatever Wilton learned would be applied in any future Cub conversions. I'm pretty interested.

Ed

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Mon May 28, 2012 5:55 am

EdHarbur wrote:Was the tweeking required a big deal? Was it on your end or Wilton's? I'd guess that whatever Wilton learned would be applied in any future Cub conversions.

The tweeking was on Wilton's end. He customizes the circuit for the application. Without the generator in hand, there was some trial and error. For example, he originally installed a big resistor on the bottom of the regulator. When I got it back after tweeking, it was removed. He had done a Cub installation before and he said it took 2 tries. Unfortunately, he did not keep good notes. This time he said he would start a proper file and save the information so I doubt there would be any tweeking on subsequent installations, but I do not know for sure.
--Lee
Circle of Safety

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon May 28, 2012 7:23 am

I have not used any of his regulators. I had assumed that telling him the rated amperage of your generator would be sufficient. Using a regulator that permits the generator to charge at rates ( amperage) greater than the rating risks burning out the generator. Using a regulator that limits the charge rate much below the generator rating risks undercharging the battery in some circumstances. A good electronic regulator is much more precise than the electro-mechanical and should extend battery life, perhaps making the battery last considerably longer. That may help offset the cost of the regulator. Over and under-charging both adversely affect battery life.
Luck favors those who are prepared

mbarcus
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65775

Postby mbarcus » Wed May 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Just wondering if the electronic regulator is still working ok.
I notice that the Wilton site is no longer active, but Clover Systems has them:
http://cloversystems.com/products/other ... regulator/

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Wed May 18, 2016 7:10 pm

The poor old guy at Wilton passed away. If I recall correctly, he was in his mid-80's. Anyway, I could not be more pleased with the electronic regulator I bought from them. I wish I had bought more (enough for all my 6 volt tractors anyway). --Lee
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”