This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Day of Thanks!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

A Day of Thanks!

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 27, 2012 10:38 pm

For three hundred and sixty five days each year we enjoy freedoms many others will never have. We have our choice of religion, we have the freedom to vote for the person each of us feel will lead our country the way we think is best, we have the freedom to go where we want, do what we want and when we want. A lot of people in this world can’t do that and there is a big reason why. If not for the military personnel who gave their lives throughout the building of this nation we call the United States of America, we would all be ruled like so many of the third world nations we read about each day.

Please take time out of your busy schedule to spend a few minutes on this day, out of these 365, to honor the men and women who sacrificed all so you and I could raise our families in a world of freedom. It is such a small thing we can do for those who did the most. Unbelievably, a lot of people lose track of what this day is about. Sure it’s a day off work, a day to take the boat to the lake, or a day to have friends and family over for a big old cook out, but if not for those who gave all, we would not have any of this.

Many times I hear someone say “Happy Memorial Day”. What? I hate that statement! I’m sorry, but this is not a day to be happy. Maybe happy that we are free, but this day is set aside to honor those who died so we can be happy. In essence, this is a sad thing. As a veteran I don’t want someone to thank me today. It is not about all veterans, although they truly are important, it is about the veterans not here. I served with many who never returned home. I have a few friends, or know of family members of friends who gave it all. They are the ones we need to thank.

As I watch the Memorial Day parade pass my house today as it proceeds to the cemetery just a few hundred yards from the barnyard, I will remember the lives that were lost so we can live. I hope you will too.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Re: A Day of Thanks!

Postby Bigschuss » Mon May 28, 2012 6:16 am

Great post, and great message Barnyard.

"They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them."

Remembering my friend Sgt. Daniel Petithory,
ODA 574, 3rd Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group
KIA 5 December, 2001 - near Kandahar, Afghanistan

Dan with teamates and Karzai (Dan is front row, furthest on right..in Boston Red Sox cap)

I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon May 28, 2012 6:22 am

Thanks for the posts, guys. Everyone should take time to honor those who gave it all today. Just a simple act like flying a flag in your yard means a lot.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Mon May 28, 2012 10:40 am

So I had better change the title of my post. I recieved a happy Memorial Day from one of the vet groups I belong to. After all we should know.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon May 28, 2012 11:33 am

Cecil wrote:So I had better change the title of my post. I recieved a happy Memorial Day from one of the vet groups I belong to. After all we should know.

You aren't hurting a thing. I just can't associate happy with this day. Probably a personal thing, but that's just me. I can understand where we want the families of these folks to have happy thoughts about their lost ones.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon May 28, 2012 1:56 pm

We cherish, too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led;
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies,

-Moina Michael, 1918

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 pm

I can relate. Even though we do not have a Memorial Day here, ours is more Remembrance Day - November 11th where we remember those who have fallen on a national scale. Many of us also have a special day of the month where we remember those who have fallen in days gone by, those who are serving still yet may not come home and those who are off on their very first tour. Tonight I guess is a good Monday as our monthly meeting of the Dieppe Military Veterans Association is tonight. The DMVA is all about keeping the memories of that raid alive and real for our children today and for tomorrow as well as all the other sacrifices our soldiers have paid in blood. Unlike the US, we do not have a separate Veteran's Day, I guess we sort of include those who have served, are still serving in the national day of remembrance.

My twin is still over in Kandahar - still serving (as a civilian) servicing for the Aussies and the US forces. He loves what he does, he must at 57.8 years thereabouts.... Randy says US service people are our brothers and sisters in arms and both Canucks and US Forces work very, very well together :!: :D He has served off and on with US Forces since 1972. I have also had the pleasure of working side by side with some top notch US Navy rates myself.

So, a thoughtful, serene Memorial Day to all my US friends and may the reason for this day never be forgotten (+)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Mon May 28, 2012 4:15 pm

I have to agree with Bill, the word "Happy" does not seem to go with "Memorial Day". I worked on the ambulance job a lot over the weekend. I saw a lot of parties and even people shooting off fireworks. All I could think of was that it seems kind of disrespectful. For most people, the holiday has become a symbol of the beginning of summer, and they see that as a happy thing, and it seems the meaning of the holiday has been forgotten by many.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon May 28, 2012 4:40 pm

While getting our parade together, this morning, the person in charge of rescue, grumbled to me, about the politicians. My answer, "I'm not here, for THEM!" Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon May 28, 2012 5:15 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:While getting our parade together, this morning, the person in charge of rescue, grumbled to me, about the politicians. My answer, "I'm not here, for THEM!" Ed

My feelings exactly. Our town parade allows politicians as long as they are not campaigning. A couple of my friends are part of the honor guard and they have told me today is not about them or thanking veterans. That day is reserved for November 11 each year. They said they march every Memorial Day to remember those who died. Horray for the folks who know what today is. Veterans, and those who truly care, know there is a difference. I served, I didn't die. Don't thank me.

Circle of Safety

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm

God Bless all our vets and a big "Thank you". :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon May 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes
From the hills
From the sky.
All is well..
Safely rest.
God is nigh.

Fading light.
Dims the sight.
And a star
Gems the sky
Gleaming bright.
From afar..
Drawing nigh
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise
For our days.
Neath the sun
Neath the stars
Neath the sky.
As we go This we Know.
God is nigh.
This is the words to Taps

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Mon May 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Barnyard wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:While getting our parade together, this morning, the person in charge of rescue, grumbled to me, about the politicians. My answer, "I'm not here, for THEM!" Ed

My feelings exactly. Our town parade allows politicians as long as they are not campaigning. A couple of my friends are part of the honor guard and they have told me today is not about them or thanking veterans. That day is reserved for November 11 each year. They said they march every Memorial Day to remember those who died. Horray for the folks who know what today is. Veterans, and those who truly care, know there is a difference. I served, I didn't die. Don't thank me.

This is my feeling also. Many people do not know the the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

Return to “Off Topic”