It's not a tomato tree

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 pm

I came back from installing a couple bulletin boards in our church this afternoon and pulled by the shed door to unload my tools when just as I started to get out of the truck I heard a thud a few feet away under a tree. When I got close enough to see what it was I found half a large green tomato. I am thinking to my self it is not time for the tomatoes to be falling yet, plus it is a Silver Maple, It's not a tomato tree. I thought I could see a squirrel up in the tree, but by the time I got a rifle out I could not see it. I did quite a bit of looking and finally spotted a hole in a limb that was dead about half way up, and the hole looked to be polished pretty smooth. Not only had the squirrel gotten into my tomatoes before I did, but something had chewed a vacuum hose off my new truck which is parked about 20 feet from the same tree, so I was not happy. The mechanics thought it was a mouse, but the droppings they found looked more like a rat or squirrel, it is hard to tell the difference between the two. I was so irritated by then that rather than using my good judgement and waiting till I could get some help the next day I went and grabbed my chain saw and cut off that limb plus another dead one that was in the way of getting to it. I am going to pay for that for a while.

Re: It's not a tomato tree

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Well at least it wasn't your neighbor throwing tomatoes at you. The other good thing is you aren't telling us the limb fell onto your new truck. :)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Y'all, this John's version or way of "nipping it in the bud" :!: :wink: :lol:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:19 am

The squirrels have learned to knock pears off my tree and then leisurely eat them on the ground. The tree is cleaned of pears before they get ripe. Bushy-tailed rats.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:12 am

John musta been on "short fuse" i would have expected a picnic table, a umberella, cold drinks,snacks,shooting glasses,ear protection and 8mm MAUSER RIFLE
just to be sure. :shock:

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 am

Well, there was a string of .30 caliber holes around and below the entrance to the den before I decided to cut the limb off. Normally I use a .22 on squirrels, but the .30 was closer, and penetrates wood better

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 am

Anyone want a slightly used squirrel den? Only lived in by one occupant, and only for a couple of months. it is a foreclosure, though I had to use creative eviction to get the tenant out. Great fixer-upper. Price is right, you pay shipping and handling only. Some assembly required.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm

got a good laugh from your story John... :)

I imagine it was kinda like from the scene in the movie classic, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation------"Newell post is fixed!"

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:10 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:it is a foreclosure, though I had to use creative eviction to get the tenant out. Great fixer-upper. Price is right, you pay shipping and handling only. Some assembly required.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: