Who's picking their first corn?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.

Moderator: Team Cub

Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Bob Perry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm

ImageCurious to see how the corn's doing, from South to North. Who's picking? Grown in the plain ol' dirt or some kind of crop cover used?
Last edited by Bob Perry on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Image
User avatar
Bob Perry
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

.

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Mr Joshua » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Our corn is about ready. Stalks are over 6' tall. We have raised beds with a mixture of local top soil, peat moss, vermiculite, wood ash and rabbit manure.
We also have been picking peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and dug up potatoes. Yesterday we picked our first tomato. It was about 2-1/2" in dia. We have well over 200 that will be ready soon. garden seems to be doing very well this year.
Mr. Joshua

74 VW super beetle (o\ /o)
1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys
User avatar
Mr Joshua
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Dittmer, mo
Zip Code: 63023
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 pm

We didn't have a good crop of Kandy Korn this year. All we got was 5 packages of cob corn, 4 packages of whole kernel, and 10 packages of creamed corn, plus what we ate.

Billy
Billy Fussell
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Tx., Milam
Zip Code: 75959

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby brichter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm

we/ve been eating corn for a couple of weeks now.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk
brichter
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: FL, Kinard
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Michael Beck » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 am

Picked the first Kandy Korn today. Grown in plain ole dirt.
Michael Beck
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:50 pm
Location: Alabama,Gordo
Zip Code: 35466
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Tezell » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Mine has been finished for a couple of weeks now. I have cut about half of what is left and fed to the cows.

We put up and gave away over 1000 ears.
It sure has been good.
"I ain't believing this!"
User avatar
Tezell
501 Club
501 Club
 
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Jakin Georgia
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 51 Cub
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Dale" 53 Cub Fast Hitch
"Jack" 61 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Elmore"71 Cub
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Ugly" 75 Cub
71 Montgomery Ward Tractor with all Equipment
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby granps55 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Checked on what is susposed to be Peaches and Cream today. Silks ain't quite dried up yet but the kernels are nice and plump. Looks more like Silver Queen, my just not have it's color yet. I have been trying for several years to grow corn, finally have done it, trying just the same with onions, still ain't figured that one out yet. But it's gonna be a great year in Kansas as long i keep hauling water. Haven't got but 2/10s in over a month.
granps55
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Fort Scott Kansas
Zip Code: 66701

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby v w » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 am

It's up, does that count? Our first picking will not come for another month or so. I use sh2 corn and plant a little later than others. First and second batch about 18 inches, third picking six, fourth picking broke ground friday and the fifth batch destined for the table I'll plant in a day or two. We grow a different variety for freezing and it is up and looking good. Need rain. Temp in the low 90's, about 10 degrees warmer than normal, winds southerly 12 to 15. Forecast to be that way for the week. Sprinkles or thunderstorms tomorrow depending which station you're watching. Lawn a beautiful no mow August brown. Vern
v w
501 Club
501 Club
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:56 am
Location: Galesburg, MI
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 am

v w wrote:It's up, does that count? Our first picking will not come for another month or so. I use sh2 corn and plant a little later than others. First and second batch about 18 inches, third picking six, fourth picking broke ground friday and the fifth batch destined for the table I'll plant in a day or two. We grow a different variety for freezing and it is up and looking good. Need rain. Temp in the low 90's, about 10 degrees warmer than normal, winds southerly 12 to 15. Forecast to be that way for the week. Sprinkles or thunderstorms tomorrow depending which station you're watching. Lawn a beautiful no mow August brown. Vern


Just curious if there's a reason you plant late. Wouldn't you guys have more moisture, back in April, to get it up and shade the ground, before it gets hot ?
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Image
User avatar
Bob Perry
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

.

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 am

bobperry wrote:
v w wrote:It's up, does that count? Our first picking will not come for another month or so. I use sh2 corn and plant a little later than others. First and second batch about 18 inches, third picking six, fourth picking broke ground friday and the fifth batch destined for the table I'll plant in a day or two. We grow a different variety for freezing and it is up and looking good. Need rain. Temp in the low 90's, about 10 degrees warmer than normal, winds southerly 12 to 15. Forecast to be that way for the week. Sprinkles or thunderstorms tomorrow depending which station you're watching. Lawn a beautiful no mow August brown. Vern


Just curious if there's a reason you plant late. Wouldn't you guys have more moisture, back in April, to get it up and shade the ground, before it gets hot ?


Bob, most sh2 corn requires warm soil, to germinate. Ed
50 ,52,53,56,59 F Cubs, 55,55,57,63,63 fast hitch, 64 lo-boys, 71 154, 184 lo-boy,61 cadet original. IH spreader,IH corn grinder, Oli. OC3 ,AC D10 ,IH 444 , Potato digger, wagner ldr 3 power units.
ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Ma. Rehoboth
Zip Code: 02769
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby v w » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:56 am

Image

Our average frost free date is May 11. As stated I need warm soil to germinate Northern Early and Illini. Illini is then planted every 10 days or so. I'm a lazy gardener who does not like to hoe so the entire garden is mulched with grass clippings. A soaker hose is placed by each row before mulching and remains there for the season. The not yet mulched is the late corn and to the left parsnips which are slow growing. Pictures of the cutting of the mulch are in the photo host under vern709. The cabbage is all there but I only start a few seeds at a time so as to spread out the harvest. Will post when we do start picking but it will be late. Vern
v w
501 Club
501 Club
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:56 am
Location: Galesburg, MI
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:35 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:
Bob, most sh2 corn requires warm soil, to germinate. Ed


Umm Excuse me Ed I have grown literally thousands of acres of corn when we had the farm in NYS and that's a way shorter season than Missouri, but I just realized that MI is Michigan, so it depends a lot on where he is climate-wise, which I don't really know.

Remember... (to borrow your line) I know where you live
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Image
User avatar
Bob Perry
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

.

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am

bobperry wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:
Bob, most sh2 corn requires warm soil, to germinate. Ed


Umm Excuse me Ed I have grown literally thousands of acres of corn when we had the farm in NYS and that's a way shorter season than Missouri, but I just realized that MI is Michigan, so it depends a lot on where he is climate-wise, which I don't really know.

Remember... (to borrow your line) I know where you live


Bob, Hybrid sweet corn directions, on the package, say "DO NOT PLANT IN COLD SOIL" usually meaning soil temperature of 60 degrees. Totally different from grain or silage corn! Since, Remember... (to borrow your line) I know where you live[/quote], stop by, and I'll show you a package, or the catalog. Just because you swiped my musket ball with your name carved into it, doesn't mean I can't carve another one! :D Ed
50 ,52,53,56,59 F Cubs, 55,55,57,63,63 fast hitch, 64 lo-boys, 71 154, 184 lo-boy,61 cadet original. IH spreader,IH corn grinder, Oli. OC3 ,AC D10 ,IH 444 , Potato digger, wagner ldr 3 power units.
ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Ma. Rehoboth
Zip Code: 02769
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:
bobperry wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:


Bob, Hybrid sweet corn directions, on the package, say "DO NOT PLANT IN COLD SOIL" Ed


Real farmers don't read no directions, them are for city folk.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Image
User avatar
Bob Perry
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

.

Re: Who's picking their first corn?

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:53 am

You betta watchit, I am going flying at 4 today and will be going over Rehobeth !!!
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Image
User avatar
Bob Perry
5+ Years
5+ Years
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

.

Next

Return to Farm Life and Better Half Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest