This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PLEASE, NO SPARKS, PLEASE, NO SPARKS

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

PLEASE, NO SPARKS, PLEASE, NO SPARKS

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Our town has a celebration this weekend commemorating the founder, Moses Austin, who also founded a little town in Texas. :lol: I plan to trailer the cubs in and drive the H since it is only 5 miles. I was easing the H out watching for the tiller, disk plow, etc. all of which set close to it, but was not watching the saw frame close enough and bumped the side of the door frame with it. Unless you lean over the the left you cannot see that saw frame, and I wasn't looking that way.
The H was just idling in first, and no damage I could see, so I backed up a little and started out the door. suddenly I heard a pop and a bang, immediately followed by a wet streak across my back and then the smell of ether, and I saw a can go flying out past me about 10 feet into the yard. Smelling the ether I immediately started praying, Please, no sparks, Please no sparks!!!!

Looking things over, it appears that when I bumped the wall a can of starting fluid fell off the shelf and under the tractor. As I went forward I think a rear wheel caught the can and either mashed it hard enough to puncture it, or else it popped from under the edge of the tire and hit the metal shelf which punctured it, then it took off like a rocket, passing behind me by a few inches and drenching my back in the stream of ether. I firmly believe that Murphy was an optimist. I have always heard the lord watches over fools and little children, however, I am 64 years old.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PLEASE, NO SPARKS, PLEASE, NO SPARKS

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have always heard the lord watches over fools and little children, however, I am 64 years old.

Gee John, are you trying to tell us you aren't a little child anymore? :lol: I'm glad everything came out okay.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Remember the old tune ... Lennon and McCartney -- When I'm 64 .... :?: and yup... the Good Lord is watchin out fer you alright :shock: :) Just glad you are okay and suffered nothing worse than a wet back .... :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Times like those make you glad you don't smoke, don't it?

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:Times like those make you glad you don't smoke, don't it?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Wow, that is scary. Proud the Lord looks after us 64 ones. We keep his hands full.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Gee John, If you are truly "64" and not a little child then that leaves only one option. :) :) :) All kidding aside, sure am glad you were not injured.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 am

We've all done stuff like that--accidents happen. Glad to hear you were Providentially protected and spared any injury.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Safety Forum”