This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Piston Rings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Piston Rings

Postby ntrenn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Ok folks....Back in January, I bought a '64 Lo Boy as a parts donor for my '63 Cub. It came complete with stuck engine.
Over the last few months, I've been cannibalizing the Lo-Boy for the better parts (mainly the rear tires), but decided I might see what really caused it to lock up.
Of course, you experienced folks know that it locked up because of a water leak into a cylinder. In this case it was #4. Bet money that is the typical one.

I pulled #1 and #4 rod caps (was sure PO ran it out of oil, but he hadn't) and fed #4 a diet of Hy-tran for a few days. The hand sledge on the wood block was able to persuade the piston to move. It even tapped out the top fairly easily once it broke loose and I cleaned the corrosion from the stuck spot.

Bore is not bad considering - I've put worse back in service with good results. (Ask me about that 2.2 Corsica sometime)
Ring end gap had worn to darned near 0.100, but there is not enough ridge to catch your nail on it. Calculates to less than 0.003 wear but still plan on measuring it.

I don't want to spend a ton on this tractor until I know it runs, as just about everything I touch on it has been busted by the PO, but if it's running, I may actually have a use for it...

So...the question....
I've been researching ring and find the genuine IH parts that look to be quite pricey and chrome (I think top ring only)
Ebay guys have everything from Bob's $52 aftermarket ones to $30.00 Powermax(that I've never heard of)
Napa and Summit have the Federal Mogul FP5098kx/x. The economy cast rings are only $23.99 at Napa, while the chrome ones are $92!!!
(BTW Summit is the cheapest flexhone I have found - BC25824 is only $19.95 2.625-240 grit)

I see where several folks have used the Napa/FM economy parts - have they given you decent service life?

This also may be a warmup for the '63 at some later date....I know - don't take the hood off!!!

Thanks....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Piston Rings

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I get most of my engine parts from the local auto parts store.

Done a lot of engine overhauls in the 15 years I've lived in Missouri. So far the rebuilt engines still have the rings from the auto parts store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Just the plain old cheap ones, like the $30 Napa ones? That's where I was going. Thanks...

I'm pretty sure the PO rode this one hard and put it away wet. Funny that I have 0.003 or so bore wear and 0.025 equivalent ring wear - assuming they were properly gapped when new.
Also seems like the chrome top ring wore just as much as the iron 2nd ring..

Haven't been rebuilding much lately. My '86 S10 has 298,000 on the clock and still has all the original factory internals untouched.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 am

Federal Mogul is the ring set the local auto parts store usually supplies. I really don't know if one brand is better than another.

Cast iron rings were common in the early 1950's and would last around 60,000 miles in an automobile engine.

I have found engines with the cast iron rings worn out but the cylinder walls and pistons were still in excellent conditon. I wouldn't hesitate to reinstall the less expensive cast iron rings. It's really the owner/rebuilders choice.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”