This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Floor jack

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Floor jack

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Within two days, both of my cheapo floor jacks quit working. Same problem with each, bad "piston" in the pump. These two jacks are identical, 30 or more years old. "Beijing" stamped in the housing. The label is Hollywood Accessories, Compton, California. No such organization to be found by internet search. Jacks are model 649N. These have actually used very little, only occasionally and look like new. Never abused or overloaded.
Harbor Freight sells similar as item 68783 for $29.99. Their pump looks to be different bore and they offer no parts for the pump.
The original "piston" was probably a plastic with a copper ring to hold pressure against the bore. The plastic crumbled. The steel rod part of the pump piston is like new and has a ball end that fit into the plastic with the copper having a retaining ring to hold the two together. The copper enclosed the plastic.
Probably I will just have to buy two more jacks. But has anyone here ever devised a homemade repair for such jacks?
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Floor jack

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:01 am

Don't know if this will help

United States Patent Patent Number D263,128
Glover, Jr. , et al. Issued February 23, 1982

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Floor jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claims

The ornamental design for a floor jack, as shown and described.
Inventors: Jr Donald W Glover (Feasterville PA)
Sr Edward J Dadura (Churchville PA)

Assignee: Philmont Steel Products, Inc. (Huntingdon Valley, PA)
Appl. No.: 06/088,236
Filed: October 25, 1979

Current U.S. Class: D34/31
Current International Class: D1205

Field of Search: D12/55 254/2B,2C,8B,8C,9B,9C,1B,1C

References Cited [Referenced By]

U.S. Patent Documents

D216034 November 1969 Gaarder et al.
D245493 August 1977 Kenig

Other References
J C. Whitney Catalog No. 376 A, .COPYRGT.1978, p. 63, Portable Hydraulic Service Jack, top right side of page. .
Foxcraft Hydraulic Floor Jack Model #HFJ-31 Flyer, Model #CFJ-3000 Flyer. .
Hollywood Accessories Model 646 Hydraulic Floor Roller Jack Flyer, Model 649 Hydraulic Floor Roller Jack Flyer..

Primary Examiner: James M Gandy
Attorney, Agent or Firm: Steele, Gould & Fried

1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

John B.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08527

Postby John B. » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Bus Driver,
Keyword "Cheapo" :D :D
John
1966 Cub
54a Blade
Pennington Mower

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Interesting on the patent. I plan to read about it.
I knew that repairing these was a very long shot. Kmart has a similar floor jack for pennies under $20.00 through Saturday-- I discovered and bought one today. Right after I bought one at Walmart for a little under $23.00. Both lower cost than HF. But some pruners I bought recently were lower price at Lowes than at Walmart. The Internet really helps with price shopping.
Now what to do with the two bad jacks. Keep hoping for a cheap fix? I am not offended in the least at being called stingy.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm

The referenced patent apparently is for the shape of the unit and not for any particular functional part. Interestingly, apparently the same jack as WalMart has for $24.00 ( round money plus tax) is $34.00 (plus shipping) at JC Whitney. Price shopping can get what you want/need for lower expenditures. Look up the word "close" in the dictionary.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D263128.pdf

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 am

The floor jack from KMart was unboxed and used today. The load lifted today was less than 400 pounds. This jack is branded "GM Performance". It is much smaller size and lighter weight than the old ones that just had the pump failure.

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Watch out for any of the nascar brand hi speed floor jacks. Son is heavy equipment mechanic and had several LARGE jacks in shop n service truck. While at the shop one day trying to jack up bosses pickup with a way to big jack,all they had , he commented to boss they nedded a smaller floor jack around . Boss jumped n service truck ran down town and picked up a nice new light weight floor jack. Son said it was cool racy colored aluminium lite weight NASCAR style fast stroke jack. He poked it under pickup gave it 2 pumps picked it right up, turned grined at the boss and THE SPRING LOADED NASCAR HIGH SPEED HANDLE RETURN SPRING SLAPED HIM IN SIDE OF THE HEAD WITH THE HANDLE. Said boss bought died laughin till he ripped it out n tossed it across the floor.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Glad I have my Hein Warner I bought in 1972. Put a kit in it a few years ago and it still is breaking back in- slow to drop without assist. Bought a USA made Milwaukee as a second jack. No Chinese junk for me when it comes to safety. This goes triple for jack stands. Taiwanese cylinders and seals are much better. Almost as good as ours.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 am

Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:...... Said boss bought died laughin till he ripped it out n tossed it across the floor.
If he is throwing the whole jack away, tell him to bring it to me on his next trip home. I will store it with your trailer and log splitter. I may be getting old, but I can still duck pretty fast. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Sorry John he took pair of side cutters to the return spring Fixed the design flaw.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:11 am

Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:Sorry John he took pair of side cutters to the return spring Fixed the design flaw.
Design flaw, or didn't read warnings flaw? :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:47 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I now have a 649N that the plastic piece on the end of the plunger is cracked.

Bus Driver, did you ever find a parts source for your 649N floor jack?

This jack is probably 35 or 40 years old and sees occasional use. It is lighter than my other floor jack so it is the one I usually grab when I'll be working away from the garage.
Paul Van Benschoten

Return to “Off Topic”