Never thought I would ever get in 'this deep' on a tractor project again.
I just want to get this thing painted, put back together and running.
But, I figured if I am going to go through the trouble of painting it up nice, better do a good job and fix what I can along the way.
The steering is very sloppy, so I took the front axle off to get a better look at the steering box, etc...
NOTE 1: With the axle off, the steering seems quite OK. I can move the steering arm back and forth maybe 1/16".
The steering wheel and shaft move smoothly as I move the arm back and forth with little to no play.
NOTE 2: The big nut holding the arm on is tight, maybe the key is worn.
I'm thinking the steering play is due to the worn pilot shaft bushings on the axle, and the worn tie rod ends.