This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What Sand Blaster? Thanks Jeff!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What Sand Blaster?

Postby Yogie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:39 am

I have a small portable unit that I picked up at Sears. I've done a whole 54 blade, Cyclone seeder and several rims so far and I love it.
I do all my blasting at work after hours with endless air pressure, usually out on the gravel parking lot so the mess dosn't matter. I've found that the play sand picked up at most hardwares works just as well as the Black Beauty stuff at TSC

Yes it's a mess to use but I'm usually that way after work anyway.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 am

Very interesting information in this thread, thanks. Right now I use the 4 1/2 inch grinder but been thinking about a small blaster. Don't do a lot, but the even with the grinding done outside it's a dusty mess with little shards sticking everywhere, but sounds like a blaster would be the way to go for bigger items.
Video for us please, Barnyard, on how it works for you.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:04 am

I have one of theses in my shop. It runs on a 5 HP single stage compressor with an accumulator tank sitting next to it. I found that every part from a cub will fit except for the torque tube ,steering shaft and hood.

http://www.tptools.com/p/868,54_960-Pro-Blaster-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet.html
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 am

I'm on the list of "tried it, didn't like it". I have a fellow not for away, that has a large commercial blasting outfit and does my blasting very reasonably. After hooking up with him, I gave my portable blaster away. I do use my cabinet quite often, though. If I were looking to buy one, though, I'd certainly check out TP Tools, as Bill H. suggested. They're pretty much an industry leader in the blaster business.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 am

My cabinet was made by Trin-Mac. An unusual feature is a front door. With the front door, I rarely open the side. It is much handier for loading/unloading, many fewer steps when you open it up. One nice thing about the front door is that you can open it without spilling any media. The side door spills a little every time it opens. It is very similar to this one:
http://www.netmachinery.net/cgi-bin/sold/archive.cgi?db=zfinish&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=7804&query=retrieval
I got it second hand. The front door probably was an extra cost option.

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 am

Jim Becker wrote:My cabinet was made by Trin-Mac. An unusual feature is a front door. With the front door, I rarely open the side. It is much handier for loading/unloading, many fewer steps when you open it up. One nice thing about the front door is that you can open it without spilling any media. The side door spills a little every time it opens. It is very similar to this one:
http://www.netmachinery.net/cgi-bin/sold/archive.cgi?db=zfinish&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=7804&query=retrieval
I got it second hand. The front door probably was an extra cost option.

I've got that same blast cabinet at work that I've used on many cub parts

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 am

I do most of my rust removal etc., in the electrolysis tanks, but sometimes you just gotta have a sand blaster. I couldn't see investing a whole lot into a unit for the few things I would do so I built my own. Sand Blaster on a Nickle and Dime Budget Since I have always had a commercial Devillbis lay-down tank and compressor I always have enough air.

One of my hope-to-complete projects is a blast cabinet. The TPTools kit seems to be the way to go. I have heard a lot of good about them. This is my preferred model mostly because I am not a pro and the pro series is way out of my budget.

Build Your Own Cabinet - Foot Pedal-Operated System

If could afford to buy a prebuilt unit then this probably would be my preferred choice. Since I don't do a lot of sand blasting

780-TL Top-Load Abrasive Blast Cabinet

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ray 59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65325

Postby Ray 59 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:11 pm

We took a small grain bin cut a door in the side put a furnace fan in the top to pull the dust out you can reuse your sand and there is plenty of room
1948 Farmall Cub 1949 Farmall Cub 2 1950 Fafmall Cubs 1951 Farmall Cub 1957 Farmall Cub1958 230 Farmall 1957 350 Farmall 1986 White FB16

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:15 pm

I have looked at a bunch of the ones mentioned, but so far none of them are big enough hold a jeep body or my trailer. :(
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Barnyard wrote:I have looked at a bunch of the ones mentioned, but so far none of them are big enough hold a jeep body or my trailer. :(

Bill, get a small truck body, and make a walk in blaster. They have one at our ag achool, commercially made, about 8x12 feet. They wear a "space suit" tyoe outfit,inside the blaster, with the object being blasted. The unit has powerful exhaust fan, to keep the air clear and clean, inside. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:
Barnyard wrote:I have looked at a bunch of the ones mentioned, but so far none of them are big enough hold a jeep body or my trailer. :(

Bill, get a small truck body, and make a walk in blaster. They have one at our ag achool, commercially made, about 8x12 feet. They wear a "space suit" tyoe outfit,inside the blaster, with the object being blasted. The unit has powerful exhaust fan, to keep the air clear and clean, inside. Ed

Ed, I have the blasting room figured out, I just need to know about a good blaster. So far everything points to a cabinet which won't work for what I intend to do.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Bill, if you are intending to use a blasting room, then any portable blaster will suit your needs. The only question is your compressor size and matching it up to a blaster's CFM usage. You want the compressor bigger than what the blaster needs, and one that can handle being run continuously for long periods of time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Bill:

Image to what Raymond said. You might want to consider the following:

100 Lb Pressure SandBlaster

10 Gallon Pressure Sandblaster

Along with a full SCBA or an External Air Supply Suit, mask and gloves this should work nicely. Lots of varieties around.

Harbor Freight Abrasive Blasters

or

Northern Tool Abrasive Blasters

have a wide variety as well. Depends on how much you really want to spend, how much quality you desire and how often you might use it. I would be more concerned about investing in a commercial quality lay-down compressor in the 5hp range such as a Devilbiss or equivalent, even a used one before I would get a cadillac sandblaster. I can't remember what compressor you bought or it's stats ... so just guessing.

My nephew has my father-in-laws Campbell Housefield 5 gallon upright and it probably would not handle one of these portables except maybe the smaller ones.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Located in Canton, Ohio. http://www.badboyblasters.com/. I've heard good things about the place from other forums and was going to try they're accessory replacement kit to upgrade my harbor freight sand blaster.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: What Sand Blaster? Thanks Jeff!

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:50 pm

My good friend Jeff Silvey has offered to loan me his portable to see if that is what I want. Sounds like the best way to decide if you ask me. Let's see where this takes me. I won't decide until I try it. Thanks for the offer Jeff.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”