This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spark Plug Connector Replacements

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Spark Plug Connector Replacements

Postby Stanton » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 am

Was reading Jim's thread on spark plug wire lengths (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73107) and didn't want to pile on there, so will start a new post.

I have been using TSC's copper core spark plug set when replacing wires on my tractor projects. They've really worked well and for the price ($9.99), you can hardly beat 'em. But the one drawback I've found are the connectors. They just don't hold up to much use. The ones furnished look like this:

The problem is this: When removing a spark plug wire from the socket, many times the connector stays in the socket. I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts (similar to NAPA or AutoZone) and asked if they sold any connectors that had better holding power. They sold me some that looked similar to this:

So far, the ones I've replaced have held on well to the wire when removing. Don't know if anyone else has run into this issue, but this seems to be a good solution.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Spark Plug Connector Replacements

Postby tst » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes those work good if you have the proper tool to crimp them, I buy the cable by the roll and make my own
Tim

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:07 pm

solder them on no more problems then
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:43 am

tst wrote:Yes those work good if you have the proper tool to crimp them, I buy the cable by the roll and make my own
Tim

I don't have a crimping tool and they went on just fine for me with pliers.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:47 am

I refuse to use the terminal supplied in cheap wire sets. A higher quality set should include terminals such as those shown by Stanton, but they will only work well when the proper crimping tool is used, (see the one shown in the other post). Over the years, I've made up a lot of wire sets and using good quality terminals is the only way to go.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:56 am

I have a couple of gas working tractors with wire ignition cables that I have replaced over time. I‘ve learned to strip the ignition cable for enough for the wire to be exposed to solder the connector to it. (Like Boss said) Then I crimp the connectors over the ignition cables properly. Overtime when a tractor sets out in the weather interference wire connectors will oxidize where it meets the wire and cause a no start when it’s pouring rain and ect.

My Cub has the original wire set as it came from the factory in 1953 and It will stay like that as long it stays under cover and not used.

TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm

I have a TSC set with the connectors in Stanton first photo. The side ears on one broke during installation. Occasionally it works loose and causes problems. I have to stop and tighten it up. I went to some different part stores and no one had the connectors.

On soldering these: I am thinking that stripping some insulation, run the wire though the hole in the bottom of the connector, and then applying the solder to the base. Is this the way to go, or what is a better way?

I am also going to try to find some new connectors again.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Tom:

TomE wrote:I am also going to try to find some new connectors again.

'
NAPA should fill the bill. That is where I got mine.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 am

TomE stated:
On soldering these: I am thinking that stripping some insulation, run the wire though the hole in the bottom of the connector, and then applying the solder to the base. Is this the way to go, or what is a better way?

That’s the way I do it with the male connectors. Female connectors I solder the wire on the upper part of the connector on the outside of the connector.

Return to “Farmall Cub”