This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing corn

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Plowing corn

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:17 pm

It is funny how some memories come to mind you had not thought of in years. When I was in my mid teens, some 50 years ago there had been a film on the news of a National Guard training jet crashing on take off at Lambert Airport. Movies were pretty rare at the time, and someone taking a home movie had been visiting and filmed the takeoff, low altitude stall out, and ejection, followed by the crash of the aircraft, and the whole thing was on the news the next day. The ejection seats fired almost horizontally due to the nose high angle of the aircraft, but the 2 crewmen survived with only minor injuries, which was miraculous due to the low altitude it happened at and the angle of ejection. The day after I was plowing corn (local term for plowing out weeds, or cultivating) in our bottom field below the railroad tracks. It was early summer, and the corn was pretty small, so I was running about 1/3 throttle in first or second gear on the H, which is pretty slow and boring, so my mind was drifting. Being a typical teenage farm boy, my mind was on airplanes, and jets, and the crash i had seen on the news,

After about 2 hours I suddenly heard this ground shaking roar from behind me and when I looked over my right shoulder I saw this huge blindingly bright light about 20 or so feet above, coming straight at me. My mind immediately went back to that crash, and I was halfway off the left side of the tractor, planning a right angle escape route before I realized it was the oar train from Pea Ridge iron mine coming around a bend on the raised track bed. :tears: At that point in time the train is running up hill, pulling 80 to 100 loaded iron ore cars, with 6 engines running full throttle and normally doing 15 to 20 miles an hour. The roar is deafening from 30 or 40 yards away, and actually shakes the ground.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plowing corn

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:23 pm

John, Are you sure that wasn't the day you were abducted by aliens? :lol:

Bob
Last edited by Bob McCarty on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:John, Are you sure that wasn't the day you were abducted by aliesn? :lol:

Bob

Bob,
I think it was the day that he fertilized the corn. :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:05 pm

:lol: :lol:
"I ain't believing this!"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Probably watered it too.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Sounds like when I was driving truck.

I was getting tired, truck stops were all full, cold outside and I was in need of a quick nap, not a full sleep. So I pulled into a Wal-Mart lot, pulled up and parked in front of a light pole, left it running and put my head down on the steering wheel and fell asleep.

You guessed it- Woke up with a start, truck was rumbling at an idle, and I was headed right for that pole. I panicked, stomped on the brakes, then realized I was parked.

I stayed awake till i got where I was going. :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:42 pm

beaconlight wrote:Probably watered it too.

I hope that is all that happened :lol: :lol: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Good story, John. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 am

Dale Shaw wrote:Sounds like when I was driving truck.

I was getting tired, truck stops were all full, cold outside and I was in need of a quick nap, not a full sleep. So I pulled into a Wal-Mart lot, pulled up and parked in front of a light pole, left it running and put my head down on the steering wheel and fell asleep.

You guessed it- Woke up with a start, truck was rumbling at an idle, and I was headed right for that pole. I panicked, stomped on the brakes, then realized I was parked.:

A driver at a trucking company I worked for in the 70's pulled into a rest area at the top of a steep grade. He crawled in to the sleeper for a rest.
While he was asleep, he dreamed the truck was rolling down the mountain. He jumped from the sleeper, into the parking lot, breaking his arm. He was dressed in his underware.
He was very touchy about the incident. So we could only snikker behind his back.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am

I failed to mention that the old H, which is the same one the guys on the forum surprised me with a few years ago, had a straight pipe, and even though it was not pulling real hard was loud enough to mask the sound of the train till it got pretty close. It was good there was a creek a few yards away, it was handier than making the half mile trip back to the house to get cleaned up. :lol:

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 am

John same field ,same train ,years later sure did disapoint a hay crew bout 3am tryin to put "all Edgar baled in one day" That big ole light swung across that field and revealed probally 800 more bales in what we thought was a almost empty field.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 am

Dad had a New Holland 77T baler with a Wisconsin V4 on it. I never saw anything that would handle more hay in a day than that thing would until they came out with the big round balers.

Jay M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13337
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farm-All Cub

Postby Jay M » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Reminds me of my teenage late night dateing. The next day I was driving a Farm-all M tedding hay After several times around the field trying to stay awake, I happened to see a JD hay fluffer setting in the swath that looked just like the one I was using! It had come unhooked and I went all the way around the field just riding the tractor. That woke me up a little....... Jay M

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 am

Another train story about twenty five -thirty years ago i went deer hunting in the uwharrie mountains near Denton,NC i went down on sun.evening and was sleeping in the back of my IH scout about fifty feet from the RR tracks about two in the morning the ground began to shake and before i realized what was going on the engineer sounded the horn i almost destroyed the inside of the old scout.

Jim

Return to “Off Topic”